What's your expertise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Not what you'd put on a job resume (unless it's also a personal interest), but what is your individual expertise(s)? Narrow it down. If it's history, what period? If it's music, what genre or artist? If it's science, what branch? Economics, what philosophy? You get the picture. (U2 excluded)

Last edited:
Let's see--Neil Young, Buffalo Springfield, Henry VIII era England, Philip Roth, Dostoevsky (favorite: The Idiot), late 60's and early 70's history and pop culture.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't think I have one, I consider expertise to be some sort of lofty goal that one never really attains

My goals are not lofty. What do you study up on or consistently keep up on? If they were giving a degree for individual research for any esoteric or mainstream interest you might have, what would be your concentration--major or minor? What would you talk about with passion? What do you know more about than the average person/novice?

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
maybe movies, I dunno know :wink:

gemstones, jewelry-but I have so much more to learn about that. I am certainly no expert.

you forgot photography. you downplay it, but you've got talent.

:kiss:

empathy.

finding connections between seemingly disparate things so that things that appear to be opposites are actually implicated in the same paradox.

Irvine511 said:
empathy.

finding connections between seemingly disparate things so that things that appear to be opposites are actually implicated in the same paradox.

I like your answer. It goes beyond what many people would consider expertise, but is.:up: Thank you for adding that element.

(1) Scepticism

(2) The novels of certain British novelists of the mid-twentieth century.

(3) Sports cars of the 1970s and 1980s.

Things I would like to learn more about include:

(1) Geology

(2) Esoteric philosophy and its influence on music

(3) The congruences between art and political movements and how one affects the other - e.g. the surrealists and Dadaists.

Last edited:
in a more literal sense, i have a photographic memory for certain things in popular culture that i enjoy -- i can usually quote, word for word, skits from, say, the sketch shows The State or Mr. Show, also reviews of some U2 albums or shows or some movie reviews about films i get obsessed with (there are usually a few every year).

i can also wiggle my ears.

OK, these are REALLY random, but this is what I know the most about (besides U2 stuff):

computers (Windows)
HP LaserJet printers (3M, 4M, 5M, 4000 series and 8000 series)
cheetahs
HTML code
Protestant church history and theology, specifically Calvinism
gymnastics (not so much doing it, but history, Code of Points, technique, etc)
our family genealogy
companion animal care (I want to be a vet tech or run a dog kennel some day)

I can tell you loads of stuff you wanted to know about the band The Church. I can also tell you loads of stuff about The Church you never wanted to know. :shifty: There's something really pathetic in that....

I'm also pretty good at navalgazing....

and bitching....

and whining....

And I'm pretty good with cats, dogs, and horses too. I'm not a super expert, but they usually live long, healthy lives in my care.

Protestant church history and theology, specifically Calvinism

hey livluvbootlegmusic -
did ya see the movie "breaking the waves"
i think they were calvanists...
do you know if they actually speak to god out loud and then gods answer comes out of thier mouth in a voice that they try to make sound as if it were god answering them?

i guess youd have to see the movie

its odd

French Revolution and Napoleaonic Naval History. Travel Novels.

Age of Sail Naval History

The Poetry, Novels, and Paintings of E.E. Cummings. (Although I now feel alittle “iffy” about him, I had to do a major research project on his last year for an exhibit.

I have a passion for American Politics and Government but am nowhere near proficient.

I am working on getting reasonably proficient in the French Revolution, The Revolutions of 1848, and English History between 1840-1880.

carrieluvv said:

hey livluvbootlegmusic -
did ya see the movie "breaking the waves"
i think they were calvanists...
do you know if they actually speak to god out loud and then gods answer comes out of thier mouth in a voice that they try to make sound as if it were god answering them?

i guess youd have to see the movie

its odd

I have not seen it. Calvinists believe God reveals Himself through General Revelation, which is the Creation itself (the world we live in), or through Special Revelation, via the Holy Spirit within Scripture (the Bible). The people in that movie could've very well been Calvinists, but what you desribe is not the true theology of John Calvin. Like any religion, most people will call themselves this or that, but rarely follow the true beliefs of that sect.

I'd also like to add, my mother an I are experts on the 7th Corps in WWII. We have a huge collection of photos, letters, and other memorabilia that my grandpa so carefully saved. My mom has also done extensive research on the 7th Corps (since my grandpa is dead and didn't like to talk about the war). Eventually, I'll be working with her to put together a digital archive, so to speak, and make sure everything is submitted to the Library of Congress and the Holocaust Museum (7th Corps liberated the Nordhausen camp).

1) Teaching (Elementary Mathematics, Science, Social Studies would be my stregnths)
2) Classical Clarinet (I was considered one of the top college clarinetists in the country at one time)
3) History (American) & Russian Composers
4) Outback Steakhouse

Back
Top Bottom