What's your expertise? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2006, 01:50 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:24 AM
Hell what an accomplished lot we have here at interference!

The term "expert" applies to me very loosely though.

I could inform you on the various theories and pop culture surrounding the idea of sexualized children, from Nabokov's Lolita to The Exorcist to Britney Spears.

& I'm the person to contact should you want to know anything about contemporary Malaysian art.

I am well read on the life and work of Dora Carrington, a member of Bloomsbury; and my interest extends somewhat to the social culture among these English bohemians in the early 20th Century.

foray

Old 01-22-2006, 02:29 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:24 PM
Beer
Music
Baseball
College Football
Beer Snacks
Music
Lady Parts
Baseball
NFL
Politics
Cleavage
Music
Julie Andrews
Neil Diamond

Old 01-22-2006, 02:44 AM   #63
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
LivLuv's post reminded me about my own family tree - I'm a descendant of the Cornaro line, which ruled Venice for about a millenium. My uncle, a professor at the University of Cape Town took a year off for his sabbatical and went to Venice to work on our family tree. We have a pretty amazing, professionally printed one, dating back to the 13th century.
Wow! Now, how does that work into your family being where you were when you grew up ( sorry, I've forgotten the specific country)?

Venice is such an incredible place, there's really nothing at all comparable to the sort of atmosphere it has anywhere else, that I've seen anyway. Expensive as hell to visit, though--I remember reading that most "Venetians" nowadays actually live on the mainland and commute there to work, because they can't afford to live in their native sestieri any more.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:47 AM   #64
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
What are you looking for?
I don't really have strong personal interest in Nordhausen per se. It's just always amazing to think how much of this sort of thing is still out there, lying around in people's attics and libraries and private family memento collections. It shouldn't surprise me really, I knew so many people growing up who still had yellowing Civil War love letters, correspondences between brothers fighting on opposite sides, all that kind of thing, locked up in old steamer trunks because it was just not the sort of thing you gave away.

As I recall, Nordhausen was one of the camps where most all the prisoners were either dead or had been evacuated by the time they were liberated. Makes it all the more incredible that you actually stumbled across a survivor looking for pretty much exactly what you have.
Quote:
I've looked at grandpa's pictures of Nordhausen so many times....they're so gruesome and terrible it almost puts you in a trance. It's an amazing feeling to finally make a connection with someone who survived the whole ordeal.
I can still remember being sort of twelve or thirteenish and looking at at a Holocaust history book, one I'd perused dozens of times before, and looking at a fairly typical photo of piles of wasted tortured corpses carelessly heaped up like so much lawn garbage and suddenly grasping for the first time, Oh, OK, well, so this must be how my parents remember their parents and siblings and cousins and all winding up. I can't really think of a word for this feeling--something kind of like what you feel when you're much older and notice your mother sobbing or your father slumped over with his head in his hands, and suddenly feel this sort of searing, alarming, achingly tender but also deeply saddened and helpless rush of emotions because you realize how horribly vulnerable and alone the people keeping you from feeling that way really are themselves. Kind of like that feeling, but a whole lot more chilling and disturbing, because you can't empathize your way across that gulf and you can't recognize or read it in their behavior.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:24 AM
A little of something, a lot of nothing. I try to be the archetypal intelligent layman, I think that is very important.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I'm a media person by trade, whereas my various intellectual pursuits here are just hobbies of mine. But I think the best media people know a little/lot about everything, so I try to do my best.

Melon

agreed.

everyone wants to be on my team in trivial pursuit.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

I, too, was a backstroker and IMer. I quit when I went to college b/c 10 years of practice had taken it's toll on me. Turns out '2 a days' will do that to a person.

doubles do take a toll; it was very hard to swim my 2nd two years in college, that was when the burnout hit.

i think one of the great frustrations of my life was that i never quite made it to junior nationals, though i was quite close in the 200 fly long course. still, it helped me get into college, and i don't regret for a minute any 6am practice.

had no idea we had so many "real" swimmers here!

(by real i mean the kind of swimmer a friend of mine classified in the phrase, "you mean you were a puke-in-the-gutter-and-keep-on-going swimmer?")
Old 01-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

nothing / none / n/a
Old 01-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Perhaps, and just perhaps, though, I specialize in being uncompromising. I don't know. Surely I am not an expert in any thing at this point in my life, though.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #70
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:24 PM
I don't know if I could use the word "expertise" for any of these...

Singer/ Songwriter
Painter
Tae Kwon Do (I was the second youngest person to receive my blackbelt in the nation)

Old 01-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #71
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
*Art and graphic design
*Illustration (drawing, painting, traditional techniques, concepts, notorious illustrators, etc.)
* Art Noveau - Alphonse Mucha
* Klee
* Giger
* Tim Burton
* Artistic books, "object books"
* Animated Movies, stop motion. traditional animation

things that i'm not expert at, but i like to learn about.
* History of visual traditions
* Comics
* music
* Digital tools for design and animation.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:01 PM   #72
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
had no idea we had so many "real" swimmers here!

(by real i mean the kind of swimmer a friend of mine classified in the phrase, "you mean you were a puke-in-the-gutter-and-keep-on-going swimmer?")
I was just thinking that too, I guess it just's totally random coincidence. I'm redrawing my (laughably far off I'm sure, but can't help envisioning) mental images of some of you to include strapping shoulders and arms!

Forgot to mention in my interests that I ran cross country in high school and most of college, have run a couple marathons since then too. I go through cycles with it. The classic introvert's sport. Distance runners also know something about pain.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #73
Forum Moderator

double post
Old 01-22-2006, 08:10 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

I was just thinking that too, I guess it just's totally random coincidence. I'm redrawing my (laughably far off I'm sure, but can't help envisioning) mental images of some of you to include strapping shoulders and arms!

another advantage to having quit: losing the man shoulders! I still do other sports but swimming seems to cause them in particular.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:40 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:24 PM
I am a Fount of Useless Knowledge. I know a lot about shit nobody needs or cares to know.

My mother-in-law & Mr. Blu have threatened for years now to submit my name for Jeopardy try-outs the next time they're in our area. I've tried to explain to them that it's easy to sit at home on the couch & get the questions to Jeopardy right, it's something else entirely to pass the written tests, screen tests, etc & perform as well when you're on stage & on camera.

Then they say "Bullshit" and call me names. This conversation takes place every week.