What's your expertise? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:43 AM
thanks for the encouragement BonosSaint

Irvine...200 Fly was my event, got 3rd in state once (for 13/14s though...not so hard to do). And I remember my first AAAA in the 400 IM. Got DQed early in the race. Good times, good times.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #47
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
From the third grade through my freshman year in college music was my life. I quit the summer they divorced.

I just took the horn out this past week. The music teacher in my school is fixing it up and getting the dust out of it for me.

My daughter plays the piano a little bit already. She will start the clarinet in the next year.
Dread, that is so sad. I've known a couple other lifelong musicians who just lost all desire to play after some major emotional disruption in the lives. I hope your daughter's progress helps bring you back to it.

Quote:
AS for the Russian composers.....

I love Rimskey-Korsakov. I have read his writings as well as studied his music.

Pictures at an Exhibition is on my list of favorite pieces.
Pictures, that's where they stole most of the Smurfs music from!

I like R-K very much too. Shostakovich and Prokofiev are also favorites.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #48
Forum Moderator

Indian politics, history, culture, philosophy, and theology. My dissertation dealt with mass conversions of Dalits ("Untouchables") as a form of political protest. Lately my research has tended more towards language policy, and the impact of information and communications technologies.

Jewish theology, history and culture.

Food and cooking, most of all South Indian and Greek, but really I'll try absolutely anything that's kosher. We have an absurdly huge cookbook collection, some of which we actually use for cooking, many of which we just read for pleasure and learning about different food cultures.

Travel, domestic and abroad. I've been to a pretty long list of places, and have a far longer list of other places I want to visit.

Hiking, anywhere from a local woods to the French Pyrenees, which is surely one of the most heartstoppingly beautiful places on the planet. Hawai'i is also a mighty fine place to hike.

*Never let anyone tell you that having kids means you won't be able to do the above two anymore! With some extra advance effort on organizing things, and reasonable attention to balancing your desires against their energy levels and attention spans, you really can go just about anywhere with your kids.*

Birding, though I haven't done it much in the last several years. I used to be a very enthusiastic amateur ornithologist.

Scandinavian, Oaxacan, and some subgenres of Jewish folk music. Delta blues--I'm from BB King's hometown and Robert Johnson's final resting place, so I grew up with it all around. And the "Greek blues," remebetika--that's a kind of music brought to Thessaloniki, where my mother's from, by ethnically Greek Turks forced out of Turkey in the early 20th century.

I like to think I know something about good writing, at least the nonfiction variety. If I weren't an academic, I'd probably be some sort of freelance journalist, or maybe work in other media, like melon and Irvine.

Vincent Van Gogh. Mark Rothko.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:43 AM
^

Renaissance.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:02 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm a media person by trade, whereas my various intellectual pursuits here are just hobbies of mine. But I think the best media people know a little/lot about everything, so I try to do my best.

Melon
Old 01-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #51
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I dabble in classics (ancient greek)
If you enjoy Ancient Greek lit in translation as well, check out Guy Davenport. A brilliant translator, no longer with us unfortunately.

Quote:
At some point I would like to move on to a different form of language
Farsi? It is certainly becoming more important.

I predict Hindi will become an increasingly important language as well, as India grows in influence (and its ruling classes' English continues to decline). Of course, I've also been predicting that South Asian studies will become an important subfield of political science for about 15 years now, and here I am still isolated in this "rareified" specialty focusing on a fifth of the world's people.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Where did your interest in India start, Yolland?
Old 01-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #53
Forum Moderator

My dad. He was an education professor, and he happened to get appointed to a commission sent to India to study their secondary education system when I was still a kid. He went over grumbling darkly about how grueling and snafu-ridden the whole thing was going to be, and came back three months later raving about the mindblowing cultural richness and diversity, the astounding beauty of the landscapes and old cities, the warmth and ambitiousness of the people, the fascinating whole new world of Eastern thought that had just opened up for him, and on and on and on. And he never did stop raving about it. He also from the beginning kept insisting to me specifically that "you must do something involving India when you grow up!" I've never known why he honed in on me (out of his 5 kids) for this, and I never got a chance to ask, as he died on my sixteenth birthday.

I have a couple gigantic silk prints he brought back with him and framed on our wall in front of me right now--my mom gave me all the stuff he'd brought back with him when I got married.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

He must have seen something in you that would share his passion.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #55
Forum Moderator

That's a lovely thought BonosSaint, thanks.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:49 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

Dread, that is so sad. I've known a couple other lifelong musicians who just lost all desire to play after some major emotional disruption in the lives. I hope your daughter's progress helps bring you back to it.

DO not be sad. I have no regrets other than not keeping up. I have friends who have gone on and had success in the music field. I just saw an old friend playing in the pit orchestra for White Christmas.

I have no regrets because if I had not made that decision my life may have turned out quite different. I most likely would not ever have met my wife. I would not have had the children I have. I would not be in education.

No regrets....
Old 01-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

yes, i swam for many, many years, sometimes doing the 8-9 workouts a week like VertigoGirl, and i swam through most of college, and i am an expert at teaching kids how to swim, and i'm particularly good at teaching backstroke.

as for myself, i was good at the punishment events: 200 fly, 200 bk, and 400 IM. i was probably best at the 400 IM; i could take a beating.
I, too, was a backstroker and IMer. I quit when I went to college b/c 10 years of practice had taken it's toll on me. Turns out '2 a days' will do that to a person.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #58
Refugee

Local Time: 07:43 PM
- The Holocaust (by the end of the year I'll be a super expert on Auschwitz and Ravensbrueck, cos of my honours thesis)
- Ancient Greek mythology
- Roman art and architecture
- Classical playwrights, esp. Aristophanes and Sophocles
- Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Manic Street Preachers
- I'm a random facts sponge, I soak up random knowledge!

I love the German language and want to sharpen that up in the next few years as well
Old 01-21-2006, 11:31 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
This is fascinating. What materials specifically do you have pertaining to Nordhausen?

What are you looking for? I have some photographs and probably letters. Most of our most helpful information is the research my mom has done. She basically has a history of all the soldiers in my grandpa's group. Most of the knowledge is in her head and her own notes, so eventually we'll work together to make the digital archive so I'll learn it at the same time.

My mom was talking to someone recently and they got on the topic of WWII. The acquaintance mentioned that some friend or relative of hers was a Holocaust survivor and had been looking for information regarding the liberation of his camp. My mom asked which one and the lady said "oh, you won't know. It wasn't one of the major death camps." Turns out it was Nordhausen. This prisoner had mentioned that there was a black US soldier present during the liberation. Since this is very rare (b/c back then the military was still segregated), he hoped this would help identify his liberators. Turns out, we have pictures of part of my grandpa's group including a single black solder. My mom did some more digging and also believes she knows the identity and history of this black soldier.

I've looked at grandpa's pictures of Nordhausen so many times....they're so gruesome and terrible it almost puts you in a trance. It's an amazing feeling to finally make a connection with someone who survived the whole ordeal.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:25 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

LivLuv's post reminded me about my own family tree - I'm a descendant of the Cornaro line, which ruled Venice for about a millenium. My uncle, a professor at the University of Cape Town took a year off for his sabbatical and went to Venice to work on our family tree. We have a pretty amazing, professionally printed one, dating back to the 13th century.