What's with all the moral equivalence threads lately? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:34 AM
What's with all the moral equivalence threads lately?

Are you itching to cast off those awful PC shackles and just say what you really think?

Which is what?

That we have to bomb the middle east to glass/turn it into Las Vegas/kill everyone because all of them are terrorists, or something?

What is it that you want to say? Just say it and stop wasting my time. Cause frankly, I'm awfully tired of it all.

Old 06-22-2004, 10:19 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:34 PM
NO spinoffs of spinoffs allowed

Old 06-22-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Hi U2kitten! How the hell are you!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:23 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Old 06-22-2004, 10:27 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:34 PM
It's just bullshit spinning bullshit off of bullshit.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Spin enough bull and we can avoid the issues altogether
Old 06-22-2004, 10:49 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Nature tries to achieve an equilibrium, but it is equally unachievable. Thus, in an attempt to reach that medium, we always swing to an extreme. In the case of political correctness, it was a result of a lack of respect for minority groups in society; so, to correct that inequality, they just swung very far left. Now that PC has gone way too far, what is the solution? To swing back to the other extreme. Let's kill them all and let God sort 'em out!

There are patterns of this all through history, but we see the most dramatic examples through the 20th century to the present, where media allows us see everything at once. Rather than ebbing and flowing through the centuries, it is now only a matter of years. Basically, the restrictive romanticist moralism of the 1950s led to the hedonistic 1960s and early 1970s, which led to the revival of Christian fundamentalism (had been dormant since the last revival in the 1920s; quelched with the Great Depression) and Christianity's tendency to be bigoted, which led to political correctness in 1994. But now we're ready to hate again, and coupled with the restrictive moralism of the Bush Administration, it can only mean one thing: a revival of the 1960s isn't too far behind. Maybe 2010, after we get tired of hating again...

Melon
Old 06-22-2004, 11:25 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Spin enough bull and we can avoid the issues altogether
The real issue? It was introduced wrong and disscussed wrong, there's no way we will be able to discuss this issue in here when the same circular patterns keep popping up.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:28 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Well, if we can pronounce the method of raising topics as "wrong" (especially when no personal attacks were made, and was further sanitized the second time around), we won't get anywhere as well.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:14 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

That second thread removed the ambiguity and made the objective of the post very clear, I think that FYM is the place where such things should be talked about and it was not a personal attack against anybody on the forum or any group in general, go back and read each post the first one was a but stronger in making the point however it was not a racist post inciting violence. I have absolutely no regrets about the thread and think it was a little presumptive to close it. Read the first post fully and you shall see what it was about, it was not a violent thread I simply wanted to get a proper discussion about how we do a diservice to Muslims around the world by allowing extremists to be labled moderates and spread hatred the world over. I am not an extremist advocating any killing when it comes to Islam and I understand that there is a large difference between the majority who stuggle to survive every day and the fundamentalist/islamists who have a genuine hatred for the west. I just want there to be a real discussion of a real issue.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:18 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

You probably shouldn't have colored your text in the first thread to be the same color as the background. I doubt most people tried to highlight what they didn't see, although I'll concede it was "clever." What they did see was you referring to Muslims in a manner that I'd expect white supremacist sites to do. That's probably why it was closed.

But something tells me this one might end up closed for referring to closed threads. It happens.

Melon
Old 06-23-2004, 12:25 AM   #12
The Fly

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Nature tries to achieve an equilibrium, but it is equally unachievable.
Natural tendencies are more compensatory; not to ultimately reach balance, merely to accomodate disparity. But, Le Chatelier doesn't belong in a political thread does he? Probably not productive to quibble connotations in a thread that is clearly a semantics issue...

The common dissection of political issues into a polarized spectrum of have and have not is too simplistic. Generalizations trickle down from there, and eventually scientific terms are imposed in the wrong context. Through this you get Political Correctness, or rather... objective morality. Melon described the problem with this method, and its many extreme adjustments.

What's with the current trend of relative-morality threads? I don't think it's a symptom with negative consequence. It's comforting to see that PC is being scrutinized on a broader scale. The principles of respect and cultural sensitivity are worthy pursuits, but not at the abandonment of personal bias. Instead, "moral-objectivity" should be replaced with self-consciousness. If one can identify their own moral centrism, then most likely a more meaningful discussion of perspectives can be achieved with others. Of course, this might be at the untimely expense of pretention and self-rationalization...

I guess compensation is a necessity.

Damn you nature.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:27 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

If I was a mod I probably wouldn't let me open my mouth. Just getting the facts straight there and on the record even though there is a clear clarifier in a particular post that occured before this one.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:17 AM   #14
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
That second thread removed the ambiguity and made the objective of the post very clear, I think that FYM is the place where such things should be talked about and it was not a personal attack against anybody on the forum or any group in general, go back and read each post the first one was a but stronger in making the point however it was not a racist post inciting violence. I have absolutely no regrets about the thread and think it was a little presumptive to close it. Read the first post fully and you shall see what it was about, it was not a violent thread I simply wanted to get a proper discussion about how we do a diservice to Muslims around the world by allowing extremists to be labled moderates and spread hatred the world over. I am not an extremist advocating any killing when it comes to Islam and I understand that there is a large difference between the majority who stuggle to survive every day and the fundamentalist/islamists who have a genuine hatred for the west. I just want there to be a real discussion of a real issue.
The thing is, A_Wanderer, you come off as extremely ignorant and ethnocentric in your writing. But I see enough of this garbage in this forum that I hardly give a shit any more.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:25 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

I do try to avoid being ignorant and ethnocentric, may you please give me incidences so that I can improve any flaws, is it wrong to want a just peace?

****EDIT*****
Go here to see why I can sometimes loose sight of the better things in the world.
http://forums.gawaher.com/index.php?...pic=14689&st=0