What's the process? (aka 'who will stop them?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

najeena

War Child
What are the processes BushCo needs to go through before they can proceed with their plans to start another war? I look to the shining intellectuals on this board for enlightenment, and hope that there are ways that the administation can be stopped before thay make this tragic mistake..

Why we can see the United Nations and EU-3 swoop to the rescue and convince the Iranian leadership that nuclear weapons aren't the way to go thus averting sanctions and war using a carrot and carrot method.

Until then may as well sit back and wait for that "one storm" to hit. Apart from the above scenario there are very few happy endings that I can forsee (anyone? I would dearly like to hear one) ~ it all ends with a nuclear Persian Islamic theocracy followed by Arab countries such as Saudi Arabia (which I posted about a few weeks bacK) working to counter. All in all big fucking bombs eventually fall intp the hands of crazy people who want to die, it's good to be apart from Eurasia.

Last edited:
A step in the right direction
The US and UK are working on a strategy to promote democratic change in Iran, according to officials who see the joint effort as the start of a new phase in the diplomatic campaign to counter the Islamic republic’s nuclear programme without resorting to military intervention.

A newly created Iran Syria Operations Group inside the State Department is co-ordinating the work and reporting to Elizabeth Cheney, the senior US official leading democracy promotion in the broader Middle East.

“Democracy promotion is a rubric to get the Europeans behind a more robust policy without calling it regime change,” a former Bush administration official commented.

The new direction, the former official said, reflected a growing belief in the US and UK that diplomacy through the United Nations and partial sanctions were unlikely to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapons capability. In the absence of a credible military solution, the argument went that international diplomacy could try to slow down the nuclear programme while more “robust” efforts continued towards the ultimate solution of regime change, he said.
link

Bush isn't going to war, at least in the foreseeable future. We're overstretched with our existing military conflicts, not to mention that he has to deal with war-weary voters on an election year.

Chances are, we're going to start reverting to more Cold War-era tactics--kind of like how we messed up Iran the first time around in the 1950s.

Melon

That's right, this mess wouldn't exist if the U.S. hadn't gone in there and toppled a democratically elected government in favor of that damn Shah in the '50's.

A_Wanderer said:
To many variables, we would be dealing with an entirely different mess today if that was the case.

It took the shah about 20 years to screw it up, had he behaved differently the Islamic revolution may never have happened

Back
Top Bottom