What's the difference between the Republic and Liberal party in US politics? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2001, 04:57 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:41 PM
They are bought by different companies.

BTW nice cesspool you´ve just opened...

Old 12-23-2001, 06:09 PM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Democrats and Republicans, U2girl. Parties from the dinosaur age, largely irrelevant, but good for partisan clashes in Congress, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Old 12-23-2001, 06:54 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 11:41 AM
people died so that we could have the freedom to get involved in politics. they probably died in your country too at some point. take the time to care, b/c one day it could be gone and you could be ruled by a dictator and then all you're gonna do is wish that you could have a stupid election to follow.

that being said, the most general way i can describe the differences between republicans and democrats is (and i recognize that this is horrible stereotyping):

democrats: big goverment, lots of money spent on public projects like welface, healthcare etc. goverment oversight of business. environment over business. liberal policies in general. strict separation of church and state. smaller millitary.

republicans. small government. control of money left to states. less government oversight of business sector. environment often loses out to business. church and state not so separate. prayer in school, faith based initiatives etc. restrictions on abortion. bigger military. isolationism. conservative policies in general.

the truth is both of those are terrible stereotypes and there are republicans who vote like democrats and democrats who vote like republicans. and there are other political parties, including the Green Party (Ralph Nader), the Reform Party (Jesse Ventura, Ross Perot) and a mileu of another lesser known parties, all known as Independants in the House and Senate. One of the advantages to a two party, and also at the same time a disadvantage, is that coalition goverments do not exist. Good because you don't have these horrible sitations where the coalition falls apart and the goverment collapses, and bad in the sense that party lines are drawn very tightly and animosity and gridlock can be really annoying. Our founders designed our system that way for a very important reason. They didn't want to give anyone the opportunity to have complete power. Gridlock ensures that what policies are crafted are truly a consenses and thus a will of the people.

Enough civics lessons from me. Anyone else want to give this a shot?
Old 12-23-2001, 07:01 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 06:41 AM
There is very little difference between the Democrats and the Republicans. They both push the same legislation and rarely if ever disagree on anything substantial.

Only time they ever really differ is on the issue of abortion. Other than that, the Democrats will try to give a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of help to middle and lower class people, but that is just to maintain their image as the supporters of people who are not rich.

Calling the Democrats liberals is just plain stupid. They are the liberal wing of the Republican party, and are just as conservative and corrupt as the Republicans are. They spend a lot of time convicing people otherwise, but most people fail to look at what the Democrats are really up to.

They both conspire to make sure no third party ever gains popular exposure in the media. They set the rules for public election money and who gets to appear on the debates to ensure that the only people who manage to be real contenders are Democrats and Republicans.

Members of both parties have said that allowing a 3rd party is UnAmerican.

Basically, they are scared shitless of someone like Ralph Nader getting up in front of the TV audience on the televised debate and making everyone painfully aware of how corrupt and ineffective both parties are.

[This message has been edited by DoctorGonzo (edited 12-23-2001).]
Old 12-24-2001, 03:45 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

What's the difference between the Republic and Liberal party in US politics?

I always thought it was interesting Americans only have 2 parties in the senate (right?), and i was always curious what they are about. How do they differ from one another?

ps: i'm not into politics (i never know who to vote for when it comes to parliament elections in our country - i think all parties make promises before the election comes, so i sort of don't know who to choose. and i don't pay much attention to politics in everyday apart from what comes in the newspaper or TV news) or anything, just wondering.

pps: Never mind the typo i the title topic - that's RepubliCAN, not Republic.
------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage has to be like the last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"The music itself will tell you where to go." - Edge (about recording)

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover)

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-23-2001).]
Old 12-24-2001, 07:25 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler:
Democrats and Republicans, U2girl.
Ooops! Of course, Democrats, not Liberals.

What's a cesspool Dr Teeth?

Thanks for clearing those things up for me, everyone.

Popkid: true, people have died for my country's freedom in WW II, and in the war against Yugoslavia in 1991.
What i meant was that i don't follow closely to the party programmes, values etc. during the year, and it seems to me like parties in my country bicker among themselves instead of working for the nation's own good. (they do agree on things like EU membership, NATO membership etc.)
There are issues going on (i really don't want to bore anyone with details) that i don't feel connected to, as they were started way before i was even born.
And when the pre-election time comes, everyone is full of promises. All the things the parties are saying make sense to me, so i can't pick.

Old 12-24-2001, 10:25 AM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 05:41 AM
U2girl -
As you can see, the difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is largely an issue of personal opinion. I would say that the vast majority of people in the U.S. (right or wrong) would not agree with Doctor Gonzo's take on it. If you stopped the average person on the street, the most likely reply would sound something like what popkid said.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:20 PM   #8
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase:
U2girl -
As you can see, the difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is largely an issue of personal opinion. I would say that the vast majority of people in the U.S. (right or wrong) would not agree with Doctor Gonzo's take on it. If you stopped the average person on the street, the most likely reply would sound something like what popkid said.

True.. I agree with Popkid as well.. Stereotypes afloat...

Democrats.. Want to control the money.. and want to give it to the poor and middle class... A sort of Take from the Innocent and Hard Working rich and give to the poor... and leave very little freedom in the hands of the people

Republicans.. Want people to strive to better themselves, Want people to work to be successful, and will help out those that are truly in need, but leave a lot of freedom in the hands of the people
Old 12-24-2001, 12:37 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

My guess is that Lemonite votes for the Republicans. Try to be objective if you really want to explain something to an outsider.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:57 PM   #10
Acrobat

Hehehe.. so according to Lemonite, the Democrats are the absolute type of the primitive Communists and maybe close friends or were once part of the Soviets, and the Republicans are the absolute freedom, the absolute truth and, would I say.... our messiah, our saviors, our heroes. And the working class is just a pain in the ass.

cheers

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

«Je suis le dernier homme. Contre tous, je me défendrai...»
"I am the last man. Against all, I shall defend myself..."
- 'Rhinocéros', Ionesco

!Hasta la victoria, siempre!

"The one who governs with weapons is clearly poor in ideas". - Subcommandante Marcos

On a mis quelqu'un au monde, on devrait peut-être l'écouter / we gave birth to someone, maybe we should listen...
Old 12-24-2001, 09:12 PM   #11
Babyface

I may be new at this, but I don't understand why people are ripping Lemonite when what Doc Gonzo said was a lot more controversial. Though Lemonite seems to favor Republicanism, Doc is seeping Green.

The "ineffectiveness" of these two parties, bipartisanship being a tradition in American Politics, has given Americans the freedom to debate our government, where as in other parts of the world, no such freedom is granted.

Third Parties are rising in membership and popularity, however, due to the process by which people are elected to Congress, beginning with primaries, the system does favor a two-party method.

So if a person wants to change that system, he should get out there and give it all he's got, rather than just vent on Interference.

And I would have a few choice words about Ralph Nader and his party, but in the spirit of the Holiday, I'll abstain.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-24-2001, 09:21 PM   #12
I Serve Larry's Stick

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl:
What's a cesspool Dr Teeth?
go to www.webster.com for all of your definition questions
Old 12-24-2001, 11:15 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
I may be new at this, but I don't understand why people are ripping Lemonite when what Doc Gonzo said was a lot more controversial. Though Lemonite seems to favor Republicanism, Doc is seeping Green.
Seeping Green?

How 'bout seeping Libertarian?

Or seeping Reform?

All three parties, despite their ideological differences seem to agree on the issue.
Old 12-25-2001, 02:22 AM   #14
Refugee

Once again I find myself agreeing with DoctorGonzo. The two major political parties are essentially the same, but they find small, insignificant issues to squabble about.
My parents, family and quite a few of my friends agree that the Republicans and Democrats are nothing more than puppets for the upper-class twits and mutli-national corporations that give them money to run their campaigns.
If you want to know the difference between the Independent Parties (Reform, Libertarian, Green, etc) and the Republicrats (a fusion of Democratics and Republicans) you need to look at who donates to each party.

The majority of Americans do not vote, so that means that only 15% consider themselves Democrats and 15% consider themselves Republicans. This leaves about 20% that are moderates that feel compelled to vote either way simply because they don't want to "throw their vote away on a 3rd party". The other 50% have basically given up on the American Political Party and are so overworked in their minimum wage paying jobs that they don't have the strength or obility to organize a powerful alternative to the current state of affairs.

Old 12-25-2001, 03:12 AM   #15
sv
The Fly

The U.S. has a single-party system. There are 2 factions of that party, which receive money from a slightly different but very much overlapping set of companies - and in fact the differences in this respect are now fairly small. Financially, while it would be very wrong to over-generalize, the Republicans represent the upper class and part of the upper middle-class. The Democrats represent a portion of the upper middle class and most of the middle class.

The poor mostly don't vote and have no voice in the U.S. Despite the incredible economic boom, the poor of America continue to do worse in most indicators of social and economic well-being - health care, infant mortality, educational indicators, you name it. Neither "party" really represents the their interests or those of unified labor (unlike most other democracies).