What's the difference between the Republic and Liberal party in US politics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by tiny dancer:
And as for danospano's odd numbers - how do you figure that since less than half the people vote, 15% must be D and 15% must be R?

i don't mean to answer for him, but he also said 20% are moderates, thus bringing the total to 50%.

i find it incredibly sad (but true) that so few americans DO vote. people either think it's a waste of time or "my vote doesn't count" stuff. and it is sorta true...not to get all super-political here, but if i were president (haha) the first thing i would do would be to get rid of the friggin electoral college. the only reason it's still here is nostalgia, because our forefathers created it. sure, back in 1800, the average person was someone with maybe a third grade education. you wouldn't ask an them to vote for president, would you? but now the average person has at *least* a high school degree and many are somewhat up to date in politics. i think our vote should count. and i hope one day we'll have a president who will realize this and get rid of the now pointless tradition.

------------------
kahnarinha "funky-san" taylor, royal chat nutte for both interference and U2OL, as proclaimed by sir rafaroni (the mexico city treat) :D
U2: 62%
dd: 37%

-------
proof 2001 simon is bangable:
<Rox> I bang 2001 simon every morning
<J-Tree> you think he'd get tired from being hard all the time
virtual insanity
john nude!

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
[B here, but if i were president (haha) the first thing i would do would be to get rid of the friggin electoral college. the only reason it's still here is nostalgia, because our forefathers created it. sure, back in 1800, the average person was someone with maybe a third grade education. you wouldn't ask an them to vote for president, would you? but now the average person has at *least* a high school degree and many are somewhat up to date in politics. i think our vote should count. and i hope one day we'll have a president who will realize this and get rid of the now pointless tradition.

[/B]

If there were no electoral college, then all someone would have to win would be LA, NY, Chicago, Boston, and Danville VA.. The rest of the country would.. in all reality.. have no real voice or say, the electoral college gives everyone some portion of say in teh election.. It's not just some nostalgic device, like a glow in the dark dildo, it is a necessity.. And I know you'll come back and ONCE AGAIN.. bring up the last election, but the electoral college is a good thing. And with that genius statement, I bid this thread farewell.

Originally posted by Lemonite:
If there were no electoral college, then all someone would have to win would be LA, NY, Chicago, Boston, and Danville VA..

although lemonite has decided not to reply to this thread anymore (how convienent) i felt the need to post anyway, just in case they'll be reading this.
anyway, i had no intent to bring the 2000 elections into this. please don't put words in my mouth. perhaps i didn't explain *what* i thought should replace the electoral college. i think something ideal could combine the people's votes AND the electoral college into something giving people more say.
even with the electoral college, some states have more pull over others, so how is it if people's votes actually count for something could be worse than this? it's still like that now: you win states like california and new york, and it's almost a given that you win the whole election.
although it wouldn't be fair to make each state equal to one point, let's say, thus saying if you won every state you'd have 50 points. since there's a lot less people in montana than new york, it wouldn't be fair to say the three people in montana had as much say as three hundred people in new york.
sure, i don't exactly have a great master plan of how to change all this, and i don't think that would really matter anyway, since i'm not a politician or involved in the government. the only reason i replied to this thread in the first place is just because i feel the electoral college is wrong. that's all.

------------------
kahnarinha "funky-san" taylor, royal chat nutte for both interference and U2OL, as proclaimed by sir rafaroni (the mexico city treat) :D
U2: 62%
dd: 37%

-------
proof 2001 simon is bangable:
<Rox> I bang 2001 simon every morning
<J-Tree> you think he'd get tired from being hard all the time
virtual insanity
john nude!

Originally posted by Lemonite:

If there were no electoral college, then all someone would have to win would be LA, NY, Chicago, Boston, and Danville VA.. The rest of the country would.. in all reality.. have no real voice or say, the electoral college gives everyone some portion of say in teh election.. It's not just some nostalgic device, like a glow in the dark dildo, it is a necessity.. And I know you'll come back and ONCE AGAIN.. bring up the last election, but the electoral college is a good thing. And with that genius statement, I bid this thread farewell.

Ummmm...you better check your facts, you just described what the electoral college is. In order to win a presidential election you need to win the "big number" states like NY, CA, TX, IL, FL. Seriously, I did not spend 4 years working on a political science degree not to know the flaws and benefits of the electoral college.

Moreover, the United States is closer to a multiparty system than most think. Interest Groups are far more powerful than anyone will give them credit for.

[This message has been edited by WildHoneyAlways (edited 01-06-2002).]

Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways:
Moreover, the United States is closer to a multiparty system than most think. Interest Groups are far more powerful than anyone will give them credit for.

and i can't wait for that day to come. having only two options is so black and white, with no grey areas. although i am a democrat (like i said a couple posts ago), that doesn't mean i agree with everything they stand for. not by a long shot.

------------------
when you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.
ME!

Back
Top Bottom