what's okay today won't be tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[q]What Can't You Say?

January 2004

Have you ever seen an old photo of yourself and been embarrassed at the way you looked? Did we actually dress like that? We did. And we had no idea how silly we looked. It's the nature of fashion to be invisible, in the same way the movement of the earth is invisible to all of us riding on it.

What scares me is that there are moral fashions too. They're just as arbitrary, and just as invisible to most people. But they're much more dangerous. Fashion is mistaken for good design; moral fashion is mistaken for good. Dressing oddly gets you laughed at. Violating moral fashions can get you fired, ostracized, imprisoned, or even killed.

If you could travel back in a time machine, one thing would be true no matter where you went: you'd have to watch what you said. Opinions we consider harmless could have gotten you in big trouble. I've already said at least one thing that would have gotten me in big trouble in most of Europe in the seventeenth century, and did get Galileo in big trouble when he said it-- that the earth moves. [1]

Nerds are always getting in trouble. They say improper things for the same reason they dress unfashionably and have good ideas: convention has less hold over them.

It seems to be a constant throughout history: In every period, people believed things that were just ridiculous, and believed them so strongly that you would have gotten in terrible trouble for saying otherwise.

Is our time any different? To anyone who has read any amount of history, the answer is almost certainly no. It would be a remarkable coincidence if ours were the first era to get everything just right.

It's tantalizing to think we believe things that people in the future will find ridiculous. What would someone coming back to visit us in a time machine have to be careful not to say? That's what I want to study here. But I want to do more than just shock everyone with the heresy du jour. I want to find general recipes for discovering what you can't say, in any era.[/q]

so ... have at it, FYM. what's acceptable today that won't be tomorrow, either policy or politics or personal practices. this isn't what you want to see but what you think will happen.

my guesses:

1. legalized discrimination against gay people
2. the meat industry as we know it
3. low, low prices of gasoline
4. treatment of the elderly - i expect the baby boomers to begin to enact a will, of sorts, a defense of the rights of the elderly, in regards to their treatment as they age well past their 90s
5. criticism of the military will be more acceptable
6. the death penalty will be abolished
7. the end of "moral" is a meaningful term, replaced by "ethical"
8. a reigning in of reproductive freedoms
9. "people of faith" will become as much of a category of social category of identity as black American or Jewish or gay.

and ... well, there's a start.

Of course we don't, but then I am going to be as Lazarus Long and get to be proven right a few times over.

You know it could all go into reverse, what is acceptable today, could become very unacceptable in the future....

Question is are we still heading to being a more open and accepting society or the opposite?

I think its 50/50 at the moment.

I think at the moment it may tip either way, racism and homophobia is on the rise in lots of places, sexism is still quite present, and with the war in terror setup to be what was formerly Christendom vs Islam....

I tend to think all these things could get worse soon enough, by the big civilisation reset button getting pushed, where we end up in a new dark ages...where certain achievements that we have made against discrimination of all kinds will be lost...1 step forward, two steps back so to speak...

Human euthanasia will become more acceptable and eventually legislation will be put in place to regulate it.

Looking at the larger picture of history, I find myself wondering if anything at all has changed, really.

We're just going to see periodic hegemony shifts that mean nothing in practice (i.e., one elite passing away in favor of another elite), and a continuing tug-of-war between progressives and reactionaries, with religion always favoring the movement that donates the most money to them.

Re: Re: what's okay today won't be tomorrow

jonnytakeawalk said:

as in, it won't be legal to discriminate against gay people. like it is now. "sexual orientation" isn't protected like race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, etc., already are.

Re: Re: Re: what's okay today won't be tomorrow

Irvine511 said:

as in, it won't be legal to discriminate against gay people. like it is now. "sexual orientation" isn't protected like race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, etc., already are.
I think that all those protections will be rolled back at some stage.

I have one. Where people wont get their panties in a wad over stupid shit and use political correctness at every turn they have.

And Irvine. I agree with you on Your #1 choice.

Re: Re: Re: Re: what's okay today won't be tomorrow

A_Wanderer said:
I think that all those protections will be rolled back at some stage.

which might be a sign of genuine progress.

A_Wanderer said:
I was thinking more of the point when most governments collapse; it will happen oin the future.

and here i was all hopeful that such protections one day won't be necessary.

And if wishes were horses we'd all be eating steak. Humanity won't change in any meaningful way because we are hard wired to antagonise rival groups.

Back
Top Bottom