"What's human sacrifice if not sending guys off to Iraq for no reason?" - Mel Gibson - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:50 PM
"What's human sacrifice if not sending guys off to Iraq for no reason?" - Mel Gibson

it looks like Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto" is turning out to be another cultural event on par with "The Passion" or "Brokeback Mountain" because of what seems to be direct critiques of American society through the film, as well as Gibson's now outspoken opposition to the Iraq War:

[q]LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Mel Gibson has returned to the spotlight to promote his upcoming movie "Apocalypto," and to criticize the war in Iraq, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Almost two months after he railed against Jews when he was arrested for driving drunk in Malibu, the actor made a surprise appearance Friday at Fantastic Fest, an event in Austin, Texas, devoted to new science fiction, horror and fantasy films, the trade paper said in its Monday edition.

He presented a work-in-progress screening of his Mayan adventure tale, and then took questions. About one-third of the full house gathered for the film gave him a standing ovation. The film is scheduled for a December 8 release via Disney.

In describing its portrait of a civilization in decline, Gibson said, "The precursors to a civilization that's going under are the same, time and time again," drawing parallels between the Mayan civilization on the brink of collapse and America's present situation. "What's human sacrifice," he asked, "if not sending guys off to Iraq for no reason?"

Appearing alongside Rudy Youngblood, one of the film's actors who hails from the Austin area, Gibson said he plans to make further trims in the film, which ran more than two hours. The print shown did not include sound effects and score, and some visual effects have not yet been added.

Gibson's appearance at the festival, co-founded by Harry Knowles, was reminiscent of a similar appearance he made at Knowles' Butt-Numb-a-Thon, which offered one of the first public previews of "The Passion of the Christ."

[/q]

[q]I've learned that both Time and Newsweek want to put Mel Gibson's Apocalpto on their covers timed to its Dec. 8th opening. This happened with Gibson's The Passion of the Christ: Newsweek made it the cover before the film's release, and Time after the movie was in theaters. It's quite a coup for any Hollywood pic to make the covers of both newsmagazines. "There are a lot of media offers on the table competing for this movie," an insider told me. This may happen without any actual interview of Gibson, too. Any interview would be problematic for Mel's publicity push since it would necessarily dwell on Gibson's alcoholism relapse and drunken rantings against Jews. Because of that, it's still up in the air if there'll be a big network (or even cable) TV one-on-one. But the real issue, now that the Disney movie is starting to garner raves from its sneak screenings, is whether Oscar voters can, or will, judge Mel's film fairly. Members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are known to hold grudges for a myriad reasons, and Gibson's anti-Semitic remarks over the summer provide ample fuel. Then again, the voters are supposed to judge the merits of the film and not the man behind it. The question is: can that be possible? I certainly don't have an answer yet since it's too early in the process -- most voters won't even start seeing the film until December -- but I can look to the past. After all, they ignored Gibson's Passion for the big noms (Best Actor, Best Director, Best Picture) because of the anti-Semitic overtones some saw in its portrayal of the events surrounding the death of Jesus. And, last year, I reported that hetero Oscar voters were unwilling to screen Brokeback Mountain because of their own anti-gay prejudices. But Mel's film is becoming known as the 'Mexican Braveheart' -- and everyone knows Braveheart won a ton of Oscars. What is interesting, also, is how Gibson seems to be positioning Apocalypto: the Hollywood Reporter, which had a stringer in Austin, noted that at one weekend screening Gibson drew a parallel between the Mayan civilization on the brink of collapse and America. "What's human sacrifice," he asked, "if not sending guys off to Iraq for no reason?" (Gibson has been increasingly critical of the Bush administration over the war.) Meanwhile, I'm told that Gibson's alcoholism rehab is going well.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...ek-want-cover/

[/q]

Old 09-25-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:50 PM
We did have a thread a while back about how Michael Moore and Mel Gibson are not ideological enemies. Moore commented positively on The Passion, and Gibson was mutual on Fahrenheit 9/11.

But yes, Gibson needs rehab desperately at this point.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:50 AM
Harry Knowles seems to be insisting that Mel's comments were taken out of context. The interview is posted at www.aintitcool.com for people to make up their own minds.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Nothing new there. Gibson was interviewed on Hannity's radio show when The Passion of the Christ was released (or being released) and he flustered Hannity by saying then he didn't support the Iraq war.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm a fan of ancient civilizations and linguistics, so I'm interested in checking it out. I like the fact that Gibson doesn't just plop down a bunch of "Mayans" with British accents...heh.

And, yes, I also saw "Passion."

Melon
Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 06:50 PM
I'm getting sick and tired of Mel Gibson.
Who the hell cares what he thinks anyway.
I guess lots of people.
Me not included.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:50 AM
That's right, it's nothing new.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, Mel really went out on a limb and took an unpopular position. Image rebuilding, part one.

Part two, Mel announces he's against spinach-you know, that e coli thing.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:49 PM   #9
New Yorker

This is gonna b a great film!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:20 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:50 AM
Meanwhile in other news, Mel Gibson storms his local coffee shop armed with two AK47s and a rocket launcher, screaming incoherently about how 'this time it's personal'.

Meh, hehe hehe hehe ehehe oh god, whatever.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

By Jeannette Walls
MSNBC

Updated: 3:08 a.m. ET Sept. 26, 2006

Get ready for more Mel Gibson controversy.

The “Apocalypto” director recently made widely reported comments drawing parallels between Mayan culture shortly before it collapsed and America’s current situation, saying “the precursors to a civilization that’s going under are the same, time and time again,” and adding, “What’s human sacrifice if not sending guys off to Iraq for no reason?”

The organizer of the film festival where the comments were made says that the quote was “exploited out of context” — but, in fact, Gibson made several other thinly veiled references to America today. For example, the director talked about “the use of fear to manipulate people” then quipped, “so happy that doesn’t happen now.” Motivating people with fear is apparently a major theme of Gibson's new film.

“I just wanna draw the parallels,” Gibson said. “I just looked at it, and thought, we display that stuff here. I don’t wanna be a doomsayer, but the Mayan calendar ends in 2012,” he chuckled. “So have fun!”

The film itself, according to some who’ve seen it, is so gory that it makes his notoriously blood-soaked flicks “Braveheart” and “The Passion of the Christ” look like kiddie flicks.

“The violence in the film is just downright mean and nasty,” notes a glowing review on CinemaStrikesBack. “This isn’t the kind of violence that makes you pump your fist like in a film like ‘Rocky.’ This is violence that makes you squirm in your seat and worry that it will sear your brain forever.”
Old 09-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
“The violence in the film is just downright mean and nasty,” notes a glowing review on CinemaStrikesBack. “This isn’t the kind of violence that makes you pump your fist like in a film like ‘Rocky.’ This is violence that makes you squirm in your seat and worry that it will sear your brain forever.”

ugh.

i just can't do ultra-realistic violence anymore. i understand it's artistic necessity if it's done with care, and violence should hurt and make you feel uncomfortable because i can't imagine anything worse than actual violence, but that doesn't mean i'm going to want to spend $10 to subject myself to 2.5 hours of it.

still, Gibson continues to facinate. i think he's a total looney tune, but the world seems to be more interesting with him in it.

sadly, for many of the theocratic Republicans who felt something spiritually exalting watching a 2 hour snuff film, Gibson isn't in their tent, as much as critics like Michael Medved would like to claim him as their own.

Gibson probably has much more in common with Pat Buchanan or other nativist movements than the cut-taxes-and-spend evangelical American-ism of the current adminstration.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:50 PM
I think this will be a very good film. I do not see anything wrong with ultra realistic violence. Especially when it has to deal with the Mayan Civilization. I am with Melon on this.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:20 PM
The movie sure looks interesting...just watched the teaser here: http://apocalypto.movies.go.com/

As far as Mel's opinion, he has a point, doesn't he?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

ugh.

i just can't do ultra-realistic violence anymore. i understand it's artistic necessity if it's done with care, and violence should hurt and make you feel uncomfortable because i can't imagine anything worse than actual violence, but that doesn't mean i'm going to want to spend $10 to subject myself to 2.5 hours of it.

still, Gibson continues to facinate. i think he's a total looney tune, but the world seems to be more interesting with him in it.

sadly, for many of the theocratic Republicans who felt something spiritually exalting watching a 2 hour snuff film, Gibson isn't in their tent, as much as critics like Michael Medved would like to claim him as their own.

Gibson probably has much more in common with Pat Buchanan or other nativist movements than the cut-taxes-and-spend evangelical American-ism of the current adminstration.
Cannibal Holocaust is funner