Whatever happened to the War on Drugs? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2002, 07:02 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 09:24 PM
Whatever happened to the War on Drugs?

It's just like that Boondocks cartoon in the newspaper, the government just kinda let it fade away. Maybe we should declare our own little war on drugs.

Old 01-16-2002, 07:05 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zooman91:
It's just like that Boondocks cartoon in the newspaper, the government just kinda let it fade away. Maybe we should declare our own little war on drugs.
The Onion (oh God, them again?) had a cute answer to that very question:

DRUGS WIN WAR ON DRUGS

Old 01-16-2002, 08:33 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 01:24 PM
D.A.R.E hahahaha
Old 01-16-2002, 10:24 PM   #4
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Zooman91:
Its obvious that you only believe something is being done if you hear it in the media. There are many things that at the top of the list of the media folk. There are other wars that they are worrying about.

-Knute
Old 01-16-2002, 10:34 PM   #5
Bad Daddy Johnny

Local Time: 04:24 PM
Does anyone actually believe that a war on drugs could be successful?

Some people never learn, generation after generation of youths follow the same path down to destruction. A war against the very people you're trying to protect is one I doubt can be one.

------------------
This post brought to you by: Tomorrow "A mystery I have yet to unravel."

AIM: JuanSwallow
Old 01-17-2002, 03:23 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville:

DRUGS WIN WAR ON DRUGS
Very true. Do you happen to have a link? I'd love to read it, but my search on their site didn't turn up anything useful.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:06 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Klodomir:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville:

DRUGS WIN WAR ON DRUGS
Very true. Do you happen to have a link? I'd love to read it, but my search on their site didn't turn up anything useful.
Ah, yes. It's pretty old, so if it's still retained on The Onion site, I could only suggest the society/health-type section of the archives.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:15 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

The war on drugs and the war on terrorism have the same causes: abject poverty. And, for that reason, since it is painfully obvious that it is in the American business interest to keep them poor (who will be there to populate our sweatshops?), we'll never win them.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 01-17-2002, 10:23 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
The war on drugs and the war on terrorism have the same causes: abject poverty. And, for that reason, since it is painfully obvious that it is in the American business interest to keep them poor (who will be there to populate our sweatshops?), we'll never win them.

Melon

Melon, this is too simplistic. Drugs are as much a cause of poverty as they are a product of it.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:27 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh really? Tell that to the teenage drug runners in Columbia, who make several times more than even their parents ever could legitimately. The "war on drugs" will not win unless we can make legitimate jobs pay. The myth of the happy sweatshop worker is just that...a myth.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 01-17-2002, 10:50 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Oh really? Tell that to the teenage drug runners in Columbia, who make several times more than even their parents ever could legitimately. The "war on drugs" will not win unless we can make legitimate jobs pay. The myth of the happy sweatshop worker is just that...a myth.

Melon

I think I misinterpreted what you said...I was referring to poverty in the US. (I assume you meant "Colombia" in your post above.)
Old 01-17-2002, 10:58 AM   #12
*Stormy*

Quote:
Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:
D.A.R.E hahahaha
This is sad but true. Most kids just make fun of it. When they are older, they do exactly what the kids of the past have done- experiment. Sometimes these anti-drug programs actually draw attention to drugs when they had never thought of them or heard of them before. I have seen this happen. Kids are like kids have always been, many will smoke, drink and try drugs because they think it's 'cool.' I am not saying this is a good thing, no, just that it is the truth and is still true today despite millions, possibly billions being poured into campaigns to condition kids from a young age that substance abuse is bad. I can honestly say I do not know a kid who does not make fun of anti-smoking and anti-drug commercials. Even if they do not smoke or do drugs and don't want to, they still think the commericals are lame. The millions wasted on those campaigns could go to much better use.

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 01-17-2002).]

Old 01-17-2002, 10:59 AM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 03:24 PM
Quote:
Oh really? Tell that to the teenage drug runners in Columbia, who make several times more than even their parents ever could legitimately. The "war on drugs" will not win unless we can make legitimate jobs pay.

oh really, tell that to my middle-classs friend Eric, who spent his early twenties selling drugs because he could make several times more than he could ever make in a legitimate job.

He wasn't poor. But that didn't mean that easy $$ wasn't appealing to him.

Legitimate jobs will never pay more than drug jobs unless we can reduce the demand for drugs.

------------------
"The Edge is a great singer. Let's get the Edge up here." - Bono, 9/23/97, Sarajevo

"Brian Eno. Edge." - Bono, 09/12/95, Modena

"Edge." - Bono, 05/01/2001, Minneapolis

"You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." - TMBG

[This message has been edited by Spiral_Staircase (edited 01-17-2002).]
Old 01-17-2002, 11:29 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Melon

And about poverty in Colombia...

Not to say that low wages for coffee bean harvesters in Colombia aren't a problem, but
supposing that Colombia did become a less poor nation, it is conceivable that as more and more people gave up dealing drugs for legitimate work, the demand and hence the salary for drug dealers would rise correspondingly. (This generalizes the statement made by Spiral_Staircase.)

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 01-17-2002).]
Old 01-17-2002, 11:46 AM   #15
*Stormy*

Quote:
Legitimate jobs will never pay more than drug jobs unless we can reduce the demand for drugs.
Sadly this is true. It's like the bootleggers back in the days of prohibition. What about all those gangland shootings in Chicago in those days, doesn't that kind of remind you of drive-bys and drug related killings today? Once booze was legalized again, it stopped, though moonshining on a small scale does continue to this day in some places!

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 01-17-2002).]