Whatever happened to journalists simply reporting the news? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2004, 01:27 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:18 PM
Whatever happened to journalists simply reporting the news?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d=536&ncid=536

I will use this story as an example. For those of you who didn't read it--its a story from Yahoo via AP. The headline reads:
"Bush Paints Rosy Picture of Iraq Situation"
This is NOT an op-ed, repeat, NOT an op-ed, this is a "NEWS" article. However, instead of simply reporting what the President said in his weekly radio address--and running the head line "Bush sees progress made in Iraq" or "Bush assures Americans: Progress being made in Iraq"--the author of this story decides to interject some of her own personal opinions on the President's artistic abilities I guess. Do your job and report the news. If you wanna spout your opinion start a blog or be good enough(or controversial enough) to get paid for it.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:49 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Bad News is news
Good news becomes bad news to be news
Fake bad news is news

Welcome to the mainstream media, we decide and you listen!

Old 11-14-2004, 02:17 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:18 PM
So when was this idealised past when journalists simply reported the news?
Old 11-14-2004, 06:43 AM   #4
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:18 PM
That's what I was going to say, Fizzing.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:32 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

There has always been a degree of bias when reporting the news. This is the stuff of history, and there has always been bias in history. In fact, we've had some historians like the Roman Tacitus who practically thought that historians were supposed to play God and judge everyone they wrote about. Medieval European historians filled their books with stories of miracles and such. Any questions?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:20 AM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Can I just add that not ALL journalists are like that?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:29 AM   #7
Acrobat

Plus, I think people are sick of journalists not reporting that something is a lie when it is a lie. That is reporting a fact, but journalists have been trained in the mind set of only reporting what he said or she said that there is a lot of misinformation out there.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:35 AM   #8
Acrobat

And, I'm sorry but the story that you are using is not at all an opinion piece, if something doesn't look good, it doesn't look good. Plus, the people who write the headlines in the news are different from the people who write the stories.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:20 AM   #9
New Yorker

Umm...there's nothing wrong with that headline. Bush painted a rosy picture of Iraq. It's not a bias headline -- Republicans will read that and say "things are going well" and Dems will say "That guy is nuts". But that's what Bush said. He believes things are going super in Iraq -- at least, that's what he said in his radio address.

As someone who writes headlines for a living, I can tell you it's hard to write them for people who read the same crap and sometimes you have to be creative and come up with catchy stuff. Besides, the poor guy was working on a Saturday editing the same damn boring radio address he probably edits every week. He probably has alot of adjectives he uses to make something sound interesting week after week.

And as for this specific story, blah. It's a straight forward "this is what he said" and the only reason it's news is because Bush does this every week and every week some poor guy has to write a summary of his remarks.

I'm not going to say the media has dropped the ball on Bush overall -- because they have -- but give the writer and editor a break. They are just reporting what Bush said.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:33 AM   #10
The Fly

Re: Whatever happened to journalists simply reporting the news?

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d=536&ncid=536

I will use this story as an example. For those of you who didn't read it--its a story from Yahoo via AP. The headline reads:
"Bush Paints Rosy Picture of Iraq Situation"
This is NOT an op-ed, repeat, NOT an op-ed, this is a "NEWS" article. However, instead of simply reporting what the President said in his weekly radio address--and running the head line "Bush sees progress made in Iraq" or "Bush assures Americans: Progress being made in Iraq"--the author of this story decides to interject some of her own personal opinions on the President's artistic abilities I guess. Do your job and report the news. If you wanna spout your opinion start a blog or be good enough(or controversial enough) to get paid for it.
Am I reading the same story? I've read through this a few times and I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Where are these personal opinions that u mention? Could u point them out?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:04 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I agree with what's previously been said. There's always been bias in history. But i see your point in the way that headline was written.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:00 PM   #12
War Child

Re: Re: Whatever happened to journalists simply reporting the news?

Quote:
Originally posted by bullet1973

Am I reading the same story? I've read through this a few times and I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Where are these personal opinions that u mention? Could u point them out?
I see little wrong with the story. I was refering to the headline if you read my post. The writer says Bush paints a rosy picture--the writers OPINION of what the President has said. I will agree with Dutch Partygirl and say that not all journilists are like this. But this is obviously the writer reporting her opinion of what was said instead of simply reporting the story. May I comment that just because some of you agree with the headline--doesn't make it fact. If your job is to report what the president says in his weekly radio address, and the president says everything is going great--then report it that way. We have PLENTY of people who get paid to voice their opinions, to disagree with the president everytime he opens his mouth, we don't need run of the mill AP reporters (or whoever wrote the headline MissMoo) to spout their opinions too. REPORT the news. Don't TELL us what the news is.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:46 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
There has always been a degree of bias when reporting the news. This is the stuff of history, and there has always been bias in history. In fact, we've had some historians like the Roman Tacitus who practically thought that historians were supposed to play God and judge everyone they wrote about. Medieval European historians filled their books with stories of miracles and such. Any questions?
Just a comment: very interesting.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:03 PM   #14
The Fly

Re: Re: Re: Whatever happened to journalists simply reporting the news?

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant

I see little wrong with the story. I was refering to the headline if you read my post. The writer says Bush paints a rosy picture--the writers OPINION of what the President has said. I will agree with Dutch Partygirl and say that not all journilists are like this. But this is obviously the writer reporting her opinion of what was said instead of simply reporting the story. May I comment that just because some of you agree with the headline--doesn't make it fact. If your job is to report what the president says in his weekly radio address, and the president says everything is going great--then report it that way. We have PLENTY of people who get paid to voice their opinions, to disagree with the president everytime he opens his mouth, we don't need run of the mill AP reporters (or whoever wrote the headline MissMoo) to spout their opinions too. REPORT the news. Don't TELL us what the news is.
I work for a newspaper as a sub-editor and i have to say i have read or heard many stories which are supposed to be news stories but which are far more biased than this one. Saying that Bush 'painted a rosy picture of the situation in Iraq' hardly qualifies as 'spouting her opinions'!
Old 11-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #15
Acrobat

I recall from US history class that around the 1910s-1920s, news switched from simple reporting to offering viewpoints on "how/what people should think" about the world.

And, as my government teacher told us many times last year, "You see headlines that say, Dog bites man. However, you will see ones that say, Man bites dog."