What Would You Do? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:16 PM
What Would You Do?

I saw this on several newscasts last night, what an amazing man to risk his life like that. People say instinct takes over before you can really think, but when a subway train is headed right towards someone and you have to make that split second choice and you are facing that kind of danger...I think it's incredible.

NEW YORK (AP) -- A quick-thinking commuter saved a young man who fell on the subway tracks by pushing him down into a trough between the rails, allowing an approaching train to pass over them, police said.

The 18-year-old man had some kind of medical problem Tuesday and fell onto the tracks, which are a few feet below platform level, police said. Wesley Autrey, of Manhattan, saw him fall, jumped down onto the tracks after him and rolled with him into the rut between the rails as a southbound train was coming in.

Autrey said he initially tried to pull the man up to the platform but had to decide whether he could get him up in time to avoid both of them getting hit.

"I just chose to dive on top of him and pin him down and pin myself down," he said.

The train's operator saw someone on the tracks and put the emergency brakes on. Two cars of the train passed over the men -- with about 2 inches to spare, Autrey said -- before it came to a stop.

The subway trough, which is used for drainage, is typically about 12 inches deep but can be as shallow as 8 or as deep as 24, a New York City Transit spokesman said.

Neither man was hit by the train, police said, and Autrey, who had his two young daughters traveling with him, refused medical attention. The rescued man, whose name had not been released, was taken to a hospital, where he was in stable condition.

Onlooker Patricia Brown said Autrey, a Vietnam War veteran, "needs to be recognized as a hero." Others cheered him and hugged him outside the train station.

The incident took place around 12:45 p.m. Service on the line, which runs between the southern tip of Manhattan and the Bronx, was suspended for about 45 minutes.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Oh, God. There is no way on earth I could have done that. I would have just watched in horror.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Wesley Autrey, with his two daughters-ages 4 and 6

Autrey estimated they were under the train for 20 minutes before power to an adjacent track was cut so emergency workers could safely remove them. At St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, where Hollopeter was taken for treatment for the seizure and minor injuries, thankful family member Jeff Friedman said Hollopeter was shaken by the experience and was sedated Tuesday night.

"For someone who got run over by a train, he looks pretty damn good to me," Friedman said. "Miracles do happen, don't they?"

Friedman, 55, of New Jersey, said Hollopeter was the son of his daughter's husband and was studying to be a film director at New York Film Academy.

"He's a talented writer, but he couldn't have written the screenplay any better," Friedman said.

Hollopeter's father was on his way to New York from Massachusetts and sent thanks to Autrey, Friedman said.

"I'd like to buy him a drink, maybe a hundred drinks," Friedman said.

The near-miss occurred Tuesday at about 12:44 p.m., as Autrey and Hollopeter waited separately for a downtown No. 1 train at the 137th Street-City College station.

Autrey, who was taking his two young daughters to meet their mother downtown before heading to his job at a Brooklyn construction site, said he saw Hollopeter fall on his back on the platform and begin to convulse.

After running to a transit worker to call for help, Autrey said he returned to Hollopeter, who was still convulsing and choking. Autrey got a pen from another rider and forced it between Hollopeter's jaws. Hollopeter soon appeared to recover, and even stood up and walked on the platform, Autrey said.

But then Hollopeter stumbled and fell onto the tracks, and Autrey jumped after him.

A Navy veteran who grew up in Brewton, Ala., Autrey was humble about his heroism.

"I'm just saying, I saw someone in distress and went to his aid," Autrey said.

The No. 1 train pulled in and tried to stop to avoid hitting the pair as they lay in a pool of dirty water in the trough. Autrey called out from under the train.

"I said, 'There are two little girls up there," he said, referring to his daughters Shuqui, 6, and Syshe, 4. "Let them know their daddy is OK.'"
Old 01-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Oh, God. There is no way on earth I could have done that. I would have just watched in horrow.
Yeah, me too.

I'm also so glad the guy who jumped in didn't get killed in front of his daughters.

Wow. I hadn't read the second article before I started this post...it's even more incredible. How wonderfully lucky for that young guy that he was there and was able to do that.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

That's what I'm really trying to wrap my head around-did his instinct take over any thoughts of that, of being killed in front of his daughters and leaving them fatherless? I don't want to criticize the guy, but I just wonder. Maybe it has something to do with his background as a Vietnam veteran-I have no idea, just speculating.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 09:46 AM
wow...that is amazing...don't know if i would do that, particularly if my kids (if i had any) were there. I have a feeling that i'd be more inclined NOT to do what this guy did, but who knows. I guess you can never tell til you are in the situation!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:16 AM
It doesn't necessarily sound from the article like he reckoned on getting stuck there at the point where he jumped down to pull the other guy up, even if the whole sequence was pretty much "instinct taking over." I don't think I could handle NOT attempting to save the person in that situation, but like mandy said, I guess you can never really know until it happens. As a parent, though, I don't really think the fact of having kids, or even of having them with you, would likely change your fundamental instincts one way or the other in a situation like that. You might shout "stay here" or something before jumping, but at that moment it's someone else in mortal danger, not your kids, so that's what would be foremost in your mind.

Wonderful act of heroism, in any case. And yeah, I'd be inclined to guess that having served in combat would make you more likely to react in that way.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Wow, great story! Any socialogist will tell you that human beings have NO instincts and everything we know is learned behavior. Sounds like this guy was just plain old intelligent. He knew how much room was down below and he evaluated the situation quickly. The real heroes always proclaim to NOT be one like this man. Sounds like this man's parents did a good job raising him. We need more stories like this in the world.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

He was the one, who helped the guy when he was convulsing before.
Later this man didn't hesitate to jump after the guy to help him get away from the tracks, or as he realized that wasn't possible to save the guy from the oncoming train.

So he took action two times, surely not being the only one in the station.

I think that shows that this man had learned a different behaviour as the other people there. Whether it was his nature, through the raising by his parents or through his time in Vietnam might be a good question.

I don't know how I would've reacted. Maybe I would've been stuck.
I also can't say if I would react different if I had kids.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

That story made me cry. Absolutely amazing. The word "hero" gets thrown around a lot, but if anybody deserves such a title, it's him.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 01-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:16 AM
We never know how we will react in a life or death situation; some people focus and take action, others may not.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

^Yep, big time. I'm guessing he jumped down planning to pull the guy up, I think the hard decision was whether to lay down with the guy and chance the train, or jump up & save himself.

Reading about the depths of the trenches, if it were me and the thing was 8, 10, 12 inches deep I'd have been screwed.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
Wow, great story! Any socialogist will tell you that human beings have NO instincts and everything we know is learned behavior
Assuming we all learn the same behavior, why was he the only one who did that?

If that is learned behavior, where and how do we learn that?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I have learned that there are so many different theories on sociology you can't say it is like that.
For example, some say the parents and the way they raised their children is very important.

Others again state, the influence of the parents only is very strong in the first years of life, but later the whole surroundings have a much greater influence on the way a child develops.

Otherwise, siblings for example couldn't turn out so different they often do.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

This is New York. Sadly, there are a lot folks out there who would choose not to do anything for various reasons.
1- They were scared and felt they could do nothing.
2- They didn't know what to do.
3- They couldn't care less.

Hopefully, this man's actions could teach others that, indeed, anyone can make a difference. I would assume that at least his own children learned.