What would it take...... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2002, 05:00 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:59 PM
What would it take......

What would it take to get you to support the War on Terror?

For example:

Today Bill Gertz (One of the leading journalists and critics of the US Governents failures surrounding 9/11) Says:

"U.S. intelligence agencies received reports this week indicating Islamic terrorists have targeted American schools for attack, intelligence officials said.
The reports indicate that the targeting includes plans to attack all levels of educational institutions in the United States, ranging from elementary schools to colleges and universities, said officials familiar with the reports."

Is the threat of action enough to make you support the government?

Old 10-04-2002, 05:20 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 06:59 PM
I already support the government. It's not like I believe the government needs to be overthrown or something like that. Does that mean I support their decisions? Not all the time. Personally, I think their decisions will make us less safe, not more. That's why I don't always support them.

I think we need a "war against terror", but that we are going about it in all the wrong ways. We're choosing the knife over the pen. We haven't given people in poor countries any reason to like us, and until we do, there will always be hate and the potential for terror.

Old 10-04-2002, 05:23 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxxern

I think we need a "war against terror", but that we are going about it in all the wrong ways. We're choosing the knife over the pen. We haven't given people in poor countries any reason to like us, and until we do, there will always be hate and the potential for terror.
Examples of ways you would like to see us fight terror with the "pen" please.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:30 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:59 PM
Quote:
We haven't given people in poor countries any reason to like us, and until we do, there will always be hate and the potential for terror.
The evil behind terrorism has little to do with poor countries. The majority of 9/11 terrorists were from Saudi Arabia. Maybe it has to do with a way of thinking that transends economic groups.

The knife has been raised against innocent civilians by a group that isn't looking for justice by the pen.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:35 PM   #5
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Examples of ways you would like to see us fight terror with the "pen" please.
How about oil deals that ensure that their countries' economic growth isn't confined to the ultra-wealthy? How about helping develop the poorer regions of these countries? No, that in and of itself won't be the answer. But if the terror groups have no one to recruit, it'll be awful hard for them to commit most of their acts.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:40 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
But if the terror groups have no one to recruit, it'll be awful hard for them to commit most of their acts.
I agree with your statements about supporting broader growth in developing countries, rather that just a select group benefiting from development.

As for the War on Terror, I think it is easier to cut off the head of the evil instead of trying to win the hearts of the foot soldiers (who probably only hate America/Israel/Western Ideals/whatever, because that is all they are taught).
Old 10-04-2002, 05:40 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

How about oil deals that ensure that their countries' economic growth isn't confined to the ultra-wealthy? How about helping develop the poorer regions of these countries?
Well, how do you propose to force the people who have the oil to do this?

As for developing these poorer regions of the countries are you saying more aid money?
Old 10-04-2002, 05:40 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The evil behind terrorism has little to do with poor countries. The majority of 9/11 terrorists were from Saudi Arabia. Maybe it has to do with a way of thinking that transends economic groups.

The knife has been raised against innocent civilians by a group that isn't looking for justice by the pen.
Yes, the 9/11 hijackers were mostly Saudi. Their motives are murky at best. But the vast majority of recruits into groups like Al-Qaeda are from areas where people have no other option than to join some sort of group to take care of them. If we help give people options other than "kill yourself", then we might get somewhere.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:43 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

As for the War on Terror, I think it is easier to cut off the head of the evil instead of trying to win the hearts of the foot soldiers (who probably only hate America/Israel/Western Ideals/whatever, because that is all they are taught).
I agree here. I know its easier to go for the head, but I think we really need to do both. I feel that Al-Qaeda should be wiped out, including the leaders at the top. But this war isn't meant to be easy. We also need to win over the pawns who are at the bottom of the ladder and show them that America isn't bad, and there is no reason to hate us.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:45 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

If we help give people options other than "kill yourself", then we might get somewhere.
Well, the problem is, they are not killing themselves. They are killing others. As for options, no one forced them to do what they chose to do. That is called Free Will.

This thread is going off topic.

Lets get back to the original question.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:50 PM   #11
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:59 AM
What would it take?

Well, for starters, I'd really like my civil liberties back.

I also think the whole basis of the war on terror (claiming a license to invade any nation whose politicians Bush doesn't like) is immoral.

I also think they should either change the name of Operation: Enduring Freedom to something else or restore our fredom. That'd be nice.

Oh yeah, and there is no real just, moral basis for the so-called war anyway.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:52 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Well, how do you propose to force the people who have the oil to do this?

As for developing these poorer regions of the countries are you saying more aid money?
I think we need to closely examine the way in which our money is being spent over there. I'm not in a position to give specifics, but I think that people over there don't need more money, but better management of the money that is already there. We need to have a genuine feeling that we want to help the people there. That would be a huge step forward.

Am I saying that we shouldn't fight at all? Of course not. There are always people who, for whatever reason, cannot be reasoned with. Unfortunately, it becomes a situation where its either us or them. But we have to understand that the vast majority of people, even those who are recruited by terrorists, are not like that. They can learn that America is not evil, if we prove it by changing the economic and political system that is currently weighted against them.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:55 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
This thread is going off topic.

Lets get back to the original question.
Fine, the question was: "What would it take to get you to support the War on Terror?"

I already support wiping out terror. Isn't that the point of the War on Terror? I just don't support the means.

So do you now want me to answer "What would it take for you to support the actions the US gov't is taking in order to wipe out terror against the US?"

edit: spelling error
Old 10-04-2002, 06:05 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Not George Lucas
Well, for starters, I'd really like my civil liberties back.
Frankly, other than a slightly longer wait at the airport , I haven't noticed a depravation of civil liberties.

Quote:
Originally posted by Not George Lucas
I also think the whole basis of the war on terror (claiming a license to invade any nation whose politicians Bush doesn't like) is immoral.
On what basis is this immoral? It is immoral to sit silently while your neighbor beats their children. It is immoral to sit silently while a group plans an attack against innocent civilians.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:09 PM   #15
She's the One

Re: What would it take......

Quote:
What would it take to get you to support the War on Terror?

For example:

Today Bill Gertz (One of the leading journalists and critics of the US Governents failures surrounding 9/11) Says:

"U.S. intelligence agencies received reports this week indicating Islamic terrorists have targeted American schools for attack, intelligence officials said.
The reports indicate that the targeting includes plans to attack all levels of educational institutions in the United States, ranging from elementary schools to colleges and universities, said officials familiar with the reports."

Is the threat of action enough to make you support the government?
Are you saying that if we don't follow our president lock-step into the quagmire, we don't support our goverment?

And here's a question back for you: How many of these inane "terror reports" have ever panned out? Do you think we should shit ourselves on the off-chance that the detainees aren't jerking our chains just to see us crapping out over nothing?

To answer your question: NO. Some vague threat against my workplace isn't enough for me to support getting dragged into questionable alliances and giving up my Constitutional rights.