What will we do in FYM when a democrat gets elected? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 02:14 PM
What will we do in FYM when a democrat gets elected?

Or do we have enough latency to keep bashing Bush and his admin for the next 8 years or so?

What will FYM have to talk about?
__________________

__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 02:14 PM
how best to repair the world from the damage wrought by the Worst President in American History (WPAH, for short).
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:14 PM
FYM will probably get part of its sanity back, first and foremost. That's what I'm looking forward to, anyway.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 03:14 PM
Well, let's see, we get equal time for post Bush bashing as the Republicans got for post Clinton bashing.

Like in 2004, there will be euphoria and gnashing of teeth. Just in reverse. Perhaps there will be a Democrat version of Sting2.
2nd period of the hockey game with the net at the other end of the ice. Blood on the ice and all that. Slashing and highsticking. Unsportsmanlike conduct. You know, like usual.

Seriously, I hope we watch the new President with a close and objective eye. A short honeymoon cause he or she will have work to do.
__________________
BonosSaint is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
how best to repair the world from the damage wrought by the Worst President in American History (WPAH, for short).
Reminds me of what the Dems were saying in 1988.
__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:14 PM
Was 1988 the fifth year of a war?
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow


Reminds me of what the Dems were saying in 1988.


i'm sure lots of things remind you of things you think you heard.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




i'm sure lots of things remind you of things you think you heard.
If you bother to research political campaigns sometime, you'll see that much of the exaggerated language and opinions of today have been used before.
__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #9
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Was 1988 the fifth year of a war?
Nope, but some claimed Reagan was the worst President in history and people were stunned that someone like Reagan could actually be the President of a country. The term "rush to war" was used a couple of trillion times to describe George Bush's deployment of US troops to Saudi Arabia during the 1990-1991 Gulf Crises and War. Democrats even tried to lable the coalition that Bush Sr. assembled as not being a real coalition, and never took seriously the UN resolutions that were passed authorizing the 1991 Gulf War. The vast majority of Democrats back then actually voted against the use of military force to remove Saddam's military from Kuwait in January 1991 despite the fact that even the French had deployed troops for the operation. The Republicans got just enough Democrats for the resolution supporting Bush Sr. to pass, but Democratic stars such as John Kerry and Joe Biden said NO.
__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London/Sydney
Posts: 6,608
Local Time: 08:14 PM
'When' a Democrat gets elected? I want to know what's going to happen if another Republican somehow gets through. Their candidates this time around appear to be quite a special group of headcases - even for the Republican party.
__________________
Earnie Shavers is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 07:14 PM
If a Dem gets elected in '08 first will be a sense of euphoria and jubilation, then reality will set in and we'll keep a watchful eye to make sure they are doing their job right and/or well. (Doing the right thing and doing well can be two seperate things).
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow


If you bother to research political campaigns sometime, you'll see that much of the exaggerated language and opinions of today have been used before.


if you bother to have a sense of humor, irony, and nuance about anything at all, you'll see that this thread and most of the responses are meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

you must be so much fun at parties.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 03:09 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Well, let's see, we get equal time for post Bush bashing as the Republicans got for post Clinton bashing.
Exactly.

If a Democrat wins, I'll be very happy. But like others said, I will keep an eye on them, and hope that they do as good a job as I hope they will. And while I agree with the above quote, at the same time, I'll probably still mention my disappointment with the Bush administration from time to time when it's relevant to the discussion, but outside of that, I'll try to refrain from beating that into the ground and move on to discussing the good/bad stuff the new president does.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 12-10-2007, 03:35 AM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:14 PM
Well my question is will you stick around enough to answer the questions asked of you MadelynIris?
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 12-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow


Nope, but some claimed Reagan was the worst President in history and people were stunned that someone like Reagan could actually be the President of a country. The term "rush to war" was used a couple of trillion times to describe George Bush's deployment of US troops to Saudi Arabia during the 1990-1991 Gulf Crises and War. Democrats even tried to lable the coalition that Bush Sr. assembled as not being a real coalition, and never took seriously the UN resolutions that were passed authorizing the 1991 Gulf War. The vast majority of Democrats back then actually voted against the use of military force to remove Saddam's military from Kuwait in January 1991 despite the fact that even the French had deployed troops for the operation. The Republicans got just enough Democrats for the resolution supporting Bush Sr. to pass, but Democratic stars such as John Kerry and Joe Biden said NO.
Well, Bush has fucked up this war and fucked up the economy, so I have a hard time seeing any positives from what he's done.

And to say that the Dems used exxageration as if they were the only ones is laughable.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com