What will we do in FYM when a democrat gets elected?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadelynIris

Refugee
Or do we have enough latency to keep bashing Bush and his admin for the next 8 years or so?

What will FYM have to talk about?

how best to repair the world from the damage wrought by the Worst President in American History (WPAH, for short).

FYM will probably get part of its sanity back, first and foremost. That's what I'm looking forward to, anyway.

Well, let's see, we get equal time for post Bush bashing as the Republicans got for post Clinton bashing.

Like in 2004, there will be euphoria and gnashing of teeth. Just in reverse. Perhaps there will be a Democrat version of Sting2.
2nd period of the hockey game with the net at the other end of the ice. Blood on the ice and all that. Slashing and highsticking. Unsportsmanlike conduct. You know, like usual.

Seriously, I hope we watch the new President with a close and objective eye. A short honeymoon cause he or she will have work to do.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
how best to repair the world from the damage wrought by the Worst President in American History (WPAH, for short).

Reminds me of what the Dems were saying in 1988.

Irvine511 said:

i'm sure lots of things remind you of things you think you heard. :shrug:

If you bother to research political campaigns sometime, you'll see that much of the exaggerated language and opinions of today have been used before.

phillyfan26 said:
Was 1988 the fifth year of a war?

Nope, but some claimed Reagan was the worst President in history and people were stunned that someone like Reagan could actually be the President of a country. The term "rush to war" was used a couple of trillion times to describe George Bush's deployment of US troops to Saudi Arabia during the 1990-1991 Gulf Crises and War. Democrats even tried to lable the coalition that Bush Sr. assembled as not being a real coalition, and never took seriously the UN resolutions that were passed authorizing the 1991 Gulf War. The vast majority of Democrats back then actually voted against the use of military force to remove Saddam's military from Kuwait in January 1991 despite the fact that even the French had deployed troops for the operation. The Republicans got just enough Democrats for the resolution supporting Bush Sr. to pass, but Democratic stars such as John Kerry and Joe Biden said NO.

'When' a Democrat gets elected? I want to know what's going to happen if another Republican somehow gets through. Their candidates this time around appear to be quite a special group of headcases - even for the Republican party.

If a Dem gets elected in '08 first will be a sense of euphoria and jubilation, then reality will set in and we'll keep a watchful eye to make sure they are doing their job right and/or well. (Doing the right thing and doing well can be two seperate things).

Strongbow said:

If you bother to research political campaigns sometime, you'll see that much of the exaggerated language and opinions of today have been used before.

if you bother to have a sense of humor, irony, and nuance about anything at all, you'll see that this thread and most of the responses are meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

you must be so much fun at parties.

BonosSaint said:
Well, let's see, we get equal time for post Bush bashing as the Republicans got for post Clinton bashing.

Exactly.

If a Democrat wins, I'll be very happy. But like others said, I will keep an eye on them, and hope that they do as good a job as I hope they will. And while I agree with the above quote, at the same time, I'll probably still mention my disappointment with the Bush administration from time to time when it's relevant to the discussion, but outside of that, I'll try to refrain from beating that into the ground and move on to discussing the good/bad stuff the new president does.

Angela

Strongbow said:

Nope, but some claimed Reagan was the worst President in history and people were stunned that someone like Reagan could actually be the President of a country. The term "rush to war" was used a couple of trillion times to describe George Bush's deployment of US troops to Saudi Arabia during the 1990-1991 Gulf Crises and War. Democrats even tried to lable the coalition that Bush Sr. assembled as not being a real coalition, and never took seriously the UN resolutions that were passed authorizing the 1991 Gulf War. The vast majority of Democrats back then actually voted against the use of military force to remove Saddam's military from Kuwait in January 1991 despite the fact that even the French had deployed troops for the operation. The Republicans got just enough Democrats for the resolution supporting Bush Sr. to pass, but Democratic stars such as John Kerry and Joe Biden said NO.

Well, Bush has fucked up this war and fucked up the economy, so I have a hard time seeing any positives from what he's done.

And to say that the Dems used exxageration as if they were the only ones is laughable.

Irvine511 said:

You clearly know nothing about American history, apparently.

Personally, I plan on rubbing it in all your faces when the Democrats lose next year.

2861U2 said:

You clearly know nothing about American history, apparently.

Personally, I plan on rubbing it in all your faces when the Democrats lose next year.

are you going to add any substance to that? or are you going to keep with the original intent of the thread and keep it semi-lighthearted.

though it's good to see your maturity level is on the rise -- rub it in "all your faces" next year! wow! had no idea this was a competition. tell me, do you collect Republican trading cards? is a 1960 Richard Nixon worth much more than a 1972 Nixon? what do you get if you get both Bushes in a pack?

MrsSpringsteen said:
If it's Hillary well I can only imagine...

The possibilities and permutations are endless

agreed. the Right will blame everything on Hillary in a manner not seen since her husband.

this is why i'm voting Obama.

U2democrat said:
If a Dem gets elected in '08 first will be a sense of euphoria and jubilation, then reality will set in and we'll keep a watchful eye to make sure they are doing their job right and/or well. (Doing the right thing and doing well can be two seperate things).

You know, you could try something new and start doing that watchful eye stuff when they are candidates instead of after they're elected.

Anyway,

I think you're gonna get your wish... McCain's nuts, Rudy's waaay overrated and Huckabee's never going to gain broad support. I'd say there's probably a 95% chance that a Dem gets the big show. That said, I sure hope it doesn't turn you into a bunch of hypocrits. When the war stretches into the 8th year, and the new POTUS is saying "stay the course" you won't be able to blame those evil republicans anymore. You're gonna have to let 'er rip with that righteous anger of yours.

Snowlock said:

You know, you could try something new and start doing that watchful eye stuff when they are candidates instead of after they're elected.

:rolleyes:

Keep a watchful eye yourself there, buddy. Who says I don't watch them when they are candidates? I'm still not 100% sure who I will be voting for because I am watching them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom