What will we do in FYM when a democrat gets elected?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveC said:

These people also invented the rectractable stadium roof. :sexywink:

:laugh:

Of course you don't respond to the part where he says that liberals are responsable for this too.

Of course, there are parts of the country where a retractable stadium roof is useful or even essential, so you may be mocking what you don't understand....

wow.

DaveC said:

I hope phillyfan doesn't mind me using this, but I can't think of a more appropriate situation:

:sexywink:

Wink aside, still no response to liberal posters needing to abide by the same rules as conservative posters. And I apologize for not following an inside joke I'd never seen before used as an argument against a point I made. I'm so *stupid* to not understand what you meant in your head that you didn't explain well.

"You see that guy? HA! He acting just like my classmate Bob Borgan did back in 1988."
"Bob Borgan?"
"You see that guy? HA! He's so stupid he doesn't even know who Bob Borgan is!"

Effective. I stand corrected.

Snowlock said:

But not, of course, when it's being used against you, then it's flaming.... right?

no.

sorry, but i think i give as good as i take. and i've been around her long enough to back that up.

Irvine511 said:

no.

sorry, but i think i give as good as i take. and i've been around her long enough to back that up.

And there's my point. You'r last statement was meant in your post as playful or tongue in cheek or whatever and I responded the same but you took it as serious. In other words, just because you think you're having fun doesn't mean that someone else is taking it the same way as intended.

Snowlock said:

Wink aside, still no response to liberal posters needing to abide by the same rules as conservative posters. And I apologize for not following an inside joke I'd never seen before used as an argument against a point I made. I'm so *stupid* to not understand what you meant in your head that you didn't explain well.

"You see that guy? HA! He acting just like my classmate Bob Borgan did back in 1988."
"Bob Borgan?"
"You see that guy? HA! He's so stupid he doesn't even know who Bob Borgan is!"

Effective. I stand corrected.

No, I'm mocking the fact that you're taking everything we all say here so seriously and as a personal attack.

Lighten up already. You're only making yourself look foolish in this thread by taking obvious lighthearted posts so personally. :huh:

ETA: The inside joke wasn't for your benefit, either.

Snowlock said:

And there's my point. You'r last statement was meant in your post as playful or tongue in cheek or whatever and I responded the same but you took it as serious. In other words, just because you think you're having fun doesn't mean that someone else is taking it the same way as intended.

that's very meta of you.

Snowlock said:

This is true. Tone is very hard to decipher sometimes, especially if you're not a regular.

For example I would have never taken that line of yours as being playful.

You went off on this long post about how we mob up on people and attack any dissenting argument but we can't take it.

Then you say "But not, of course, when it's being used against you, then it's flaming.... right?" and we're suppose to know you're kidding?

Inconsistent at best.

DaveC said:
I hope phillyfan doesn't mind me using this, but I can't think of a more appropriate situation:

:angry:

:sexywink:

In all seriousness, I do see that he missed an inside joke here. I meant to use that for other situations.

Snowlock said:
Wink aside, still no response to liberal posters needing to abide by the same rules as conservative posters.

Actually, he did. When he quoted my (slightly sarcastic) response.

He was using an example. He wasn't implying that there's a different rulebook.

corianderstem said:
I can't believe this thread is still open.
It's not looking likely to reliably turn either lighthearted or constructive anytime soon, so I'm inclined to agree.
Irvine511 said:
it just seems to me that, yes, there are significantly fewer conservative posters in here than liberal posters. there are some liberal posters who are flip and emotional and don't add much. but there are some liberal posters who always post something of substance.

...there are some posters who do try to add things of substance while being flip and emotional, but it does seem that the people whining the loudest are the ones who offer the least.

and i'm sorry for tossing people into such binary categories. i agree that there are some "bullies" on the left in here who do need to tone it down, especially when they see something that doesn't seem to have much thought put into it. and what i think we, on the Left, in here particularly, need to do, is to check ourselves. we are in the majority. if we are right, and i am sure we are, then we need to make our points by using facts, logic, and reason. and if someone comes back at you with snide comments, emotionalism, and a huge chip on the shoulder, just remember that you are in the majority, and try to turn the other cheek and maybe even help them out a bit so it's a fairer fight.
:up: Great post.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
I agree, and I know that I fall into the category of those that probably need to tone it down sometimes.
Frankly, yes, though I do appreciate the acknowledgment and hope a few others who could stand to do the same.
Snowlock said:
Insults? I tend to be a counter-puncher.
That's exactly the excuse people who routinely tend to be rude always turn to--as if there were no other options available in responding to someone who's rude/'stupid'/hypocritical/'bad debater' etc. etc. It isn't a credible excuse, ever.

With apologies to the thread starter (and any other posters who were sincerely trying to keep it lighthearted, in the fullest sense of the term).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom