What unites religion? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 07:40 AM
What unites religion?

I'm simply reflecting on what unites world religion. I don't believe that it's what set of rituals and rites you use, or what words to describe reality. That's all too culturally dictated. And we know how much cultures change and mix.

Religions and spirituality seem to exist in order to help man reconcile the meaning of his existence. Humans participate in religion because we are striving for something, a fulfillment of sorts. I think a few people in any religion actually find their answers...

Is there a "correct" religion? Is there a single Truth that transcends religion/ritual/culture?

Old 04-26-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Re: What unites religion?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lemonseed

Is there a "correct" religion? Is there a single Truth that transcends religion/ritual/culture?
Maybe just the desire to believe in something bigger/greater than ourselves?

Old 04-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: What unites religion?

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

i would agree with this.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #4
The Fly

Wow, that's a book. We can always argue to merits of our particular faith. I'm a practicing Catholic and I've been reading Pope John Paul II's homilies today. Others would come to different conclusions depending on their point of view.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

My absolutist beliefs tell me that there is only one correct religion or there is no correct religion. I'm not a relativist at all.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:04 PM   #6
The Fly

Re: Re: What unites religion?

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I like this, I would say that it's true, and that's it's universal. People want to believe there is something besides all of this transient stuff we're around because it just comes and goes. It's totally unpredictable and unstable, and we're looking for something that doesn't change. This motivates all spiritual quests.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:19 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I'm not a relativist at all.
Is that even possible these days? I mean aren't even the most fundamental of Christian religions these days very relative compared to the very first Christian Church?

Otherwise we'd still have no women preachers, women in veils, men without clean shaven sideburns, fasting, etc?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America

Is that even possible these days? I mean aren't even the most fundamental of Christian religions these days very relative compared to the very first Christian Church?

Otherwise we'd still have no women preachers, women in veils, men without clean shaven sideburns, fasting, etc?
Oh, brother. This is a topic for a book, maybe many books. We still don't ordain women in the Catholic Church, it's no longer necessary for women to cover their heads, or men to have clean shaven sideburns, and we do fast, although our fasting rules are more lenient than they used to be.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by verte

Oh, brother. This is a topic for a book, maybe many books. We still don't ordain women in the Catholic Church, it's no longer necessary for women to cover their heads, or men to have clean shaven sideburns, and we do fast, although our fasting rules are more lenient than they used to be.
But that's my point every denomination has taken away or added to their list of beliefs. Every religion is relative.

Some don't ordain women, I believe all Christian faiths have gotten rid of veils, and actually the old law was men couldn't shave above their ears(I believe that's why certain Jewish men have the "dreads" growing from their temples.

So we've all gotten rid of some and added others.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
My absolutist beliefs tell me that there is only one correct religion or there is no correct religion. I'm not a relativist at all.
Yet you believe in free will?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:26 PM   #11
Refugee

Re: What unites religion?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lemonseed
"CATHOLICISM......DUH!!!!"

Old 04-26-2005, 06:35 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm not sure that we're all on the same page, as far as relativism goes. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with veils, sideburns or even free will. When I talk about relativism, I'm talking about the belief that there are "many roads to God" and "all religions are the same" and all that. In my mind, all religions can't be right, because they contradict each other; Christianity says that Christ is the only way to the father, and Islam says that is not true. How can they both be right?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:36 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure that we're all on the same page, as far as relativism goes. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with veils, sideburns or even free will. When I talk about relativism, I'm talking about the belief that there are "many roads to God" and "all religions are the same" and all that. In my mind, all religions can't be right, because they contradict each other; Christianity says that Christ is the only way to the father, and Islam says that is not true. How can they both be right?
OK, so you are an absolutist, but only when it comes to which religion is right?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Fair enough our definations of relativism are different.

How can they both be right?

There are a lot of things the small human mind will never be able to comprehend, God only knows.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:45 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America

There are a lot of things the small human mind will never be able to comprehend, God only knows.

Even if God sat you down and flat out told you everything about everything, there is no way you'd be able to comprehend a quarter of it all.