What unites religion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Lemonseed

The Fly
I'm simply reflecting on what unites world religion. I don't believe that it's what set of rituals and rites you use, or what words to describe reality. That's all too culturally dictated. And we know how much cultures change and mix.

Religions and spirituality seem to exist in order to help man reconcile the meaning of his existence. Humans participate in religion because we are striving for something, a fulfillment of sorts. I think a few people in any religion actually find their answers...

Is there a "correct" religion? Is there a single Truth that transcends religion/ritual/culture?

Dr. Lemonseed said:

Is there a "correct" religion? Is there a single Truth that transcends religion/ritual/culture?

Maybe just the desire to believe in something bigger/greater than ourselves?

Wow, that's a book. We can always argue to merits of our particular faith. I'm a practicing Catholic and I've been reading Pope John Paul II's homilies today. Others would come to different conclusions depending on their point of view.

My absolutist beliefs tell me that there is only one correct religion or there is no correct religion. I'm not a relativist at all.

Re: Re: What unites religion?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Maybe just the desire to believe in something bigger/greater than ourselves?

I like this, I would say that it's true, and that's it's universal. People want to believe there is something besides all of this transient stuff we're around because it just comes and goes. It's totally unpredictable and unstable, and we're looking for something that doesn't change. This motivates all spiritual quests.

80sU2isBest said:
I'm not a relativist at all.

Is that even possible these days? I mean aren't even the most fundamental of Christian religions these days very relative compared to the very first Christian Church?

Otherwise we'd still have no women preachers, women in veils, men without clean shaven sideburns, fasting, etc?

Do Miss America said:

Is that even possible these days? I mean aren't even the most fundamental of Christian religions these days very relative compared to the very first Christian Church?

Otherwise we'd still have no women preachers, women in veils, men without clean shaven sideburns, fasting, etc?

Oh, brother. This is a topic for a book, maybe many books. We still don't ordain women in the Catholic Church, it's no longer necessary for women to cover their heads, or men to have clean shaven sideburns, and we do fast, although our fasting rules are more lenient than they used to be.

verte said:

Oh, brother. This is a topic for a book, maybe many books. We still don't ordain women in the Catholic Church, it's no longer necessary for women to cover their heads, or men to have clean shaven sideburns, and we do fast, although our fasting rules are more lenient than they used to be.

But that's my point every denomination has taken away or added to their list of beliefs. Every religion is relative.

Some don't ordain women, I believe all Christian faiths have gotten rid of veils, and actually the old law was men couldn't shave above their ears(I believe that's why certain Jewish men have the "dreads" growing from their temples.

So we've all gotten rid of some and added others.

80sU2isBest said:
My absolutist beliefs tell me that there is only one correct religion or there is no correct religion. I'm not a relativist at all.

Yet you believe in free will?

I'm not sure that we're all on the same page, as far as relativism goes. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with veils, sideburns or even free will. When I talk about relativism, I'm talking about the belief that there are "many roads to God" and "all religions are the same" and all that. In my mind, all religions can't be right, because they contradict each other; Christianity says that Christ is the only way to the father, and Islam says that is not true. How can they both be right?

80sU2isBest said:
I'm not sure that we're all on the same page, as far as relativism goes. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with veils, sideburns or even free will. When I talk about relativism, I'm talking about the belief that there are "many roads to God" and "all religions are the same" and all that. In my mind, all religions can't be right, because they contradict each other; Christianity says that Christ is the only way to the father, and Islam says that is not true. How can they both be right?

OK, so you are an absolutist, but only when it comes to which religion is right?

80sU2isBest said:

Fair enough our definations of relativism are different.

How can they both be right?

There are a lot of things the small human mind will never be able to comprehend, God only knows.

Do Miss America said:

Fair enough our definations of relativism are different.

How can they both be right?

There are a lot of things the small human mind will never be able to comprehend, God only knows.

Christianity believes Christ when he said "No one comes to the father but by me"

and yet

Islam says that Christ is not a way to the father; in fact, they do not believe in the concept of God as a father.

Either Christianity is right on this point, or Islam is. Christ can not be "the only way to the God" and at the same time "not be a way to God".

80sU2isBest said:

Christianity believes Christ when he said "No one comes to the father but by me"

and yet

Islam says that Christ is not a way to the father; in fact, they do not believe in the concept of God as a father.

Either Christianity is right on this point, or Islam is. Christ can not be "the only way to the God" and at the same time "not be a way to God".

If God was that simple to understand I think life on Earth would be very very different.

Why would God allow itself to be localized to certain parts of the world?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

OK, so you are an absolutist, but only when it comes to which religion is right?
No, in most things. Relativism tells people to do what they want, that nothing is wrong unless it hurts someone. I don't believe that.

Do Miss America said:

I read a very good book discussing this very idea, also including the thoughts concerning people before Jesus' day. It's titled Eternity In Their Hearts by Don Richardson. It is interesting thought because there were indeed different cultural manifestations of the belief of God, they just varied for many different reasons....this could be a whole other thread so I'll pipe down. ;)

Last edited:
Do Miss America said:

If God was that simple to understand I think life on Earth would be very very different.

Look, if Christ was a liar, would you believe that Christianity was a true religion? Not me; I'd believe he was false prophet and I certainly wouldn't be a part of his religion. If Christ is NOT the only way to the father, then he is a liar, because he said he is the only way to the father. If any other religion in the world is also a way to God, then Christ was a liar. And if he's a liar then his religion is not true.

Two opposites can not both be true. One or both must be wrong.

And I don't know what you mean by "localized to certain parts of the world". Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc. are all present all over the world.

Last edited:
80sU2isBest said:

Look, if Christ was a liar, would you believe that Christianity was a true religion? Not me; I'd believe he was false prophet and I certainly wouldn't be a part of his religion. If Christ is NOT the only way to the father, then he is a liar, because he said he is the only way to the father. If any other religion in the world is also a way to God, then Christ was a liar. And if he's a liar then his religion is not true.
I've answered this already.

80sU2isBest said:

Two opposites can not both be true. One or both must be wrong.
Sure, here on earth in our feeble minds.

80sU2isBest said:

And I don't know what you mean by "localized to certain parts of the world". Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc. are all present all over the world.
BS BS BS there are many corners of the earth that don't know Christ or have any of these religions.

Do Miss America said:

I've answered this already.

Sure, here on earth in our feeble minds.

BS BS BS there are many corners of the earth that don't know Christ or have any of these religions.

The Gospel has been spread to most copuntries of the world through missions. The word you used - "localized" - sure seems to imply a very little area.

I really hate that if you believe that there are commonalities between religions that you are a relativist.

I cannot quite explaine why it is offensive to me.

Maybe I should embrace the relativist in me and just be comfortable with it.

Jesus must have been a relativist......

He accepted the Jew and the Gentile.

80sU2isBest said:

The Gospel has been spread to most copuntries of the world through missions. The word you used - "localized" - sure seems to imply a very little area.

No, just not everywhere. It doesn't really speak all powerful to me.

If these missionaries are anything like some of the "discussions" going on here, I am not surprised that some people are still Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, pagans and whatever else.

Truly, if there was a way to put "religion" threads on ignore, I would. That would be my idea of heaven around here.

80sU2isBest said:

I'm an agnostic, so I'm not really coming from a particular religion, but it seems to me that any god worth his/her/it's salt would be able to be whatever each culture/peoples needs to be able to "find" that god. Some people find the Christian god most palatable, others find the Hindu or Muslim (or one of many other religions) version works best.

I know that idea garners a lot of resistance (trust me I quickly found that out when I put it forth once before :uhoh: ), but it makes a lot of sense to me. Why would a god make such a wide variety of people on this earth and then force them to all believe in one version of god? Do you honestly believe a GOD couldn't be powerful enough to manifest in various forms so that each of it's peoples could be comfortable with that god?

Last edited:
anitram said:
Truly, if there was a way to put "religion" threads on ignore, I would. That would be my idea of heaven around here.

There is. Not reading threads titled "What unites religion" or the like. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom