What the Hell Happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman

Refugee
What the hell happened in the Maher Arar case.

For those not familiar with it he is a Syrian born man that was then living in Canada (Canadian citizen) since he was 17 . He has a masters in telecommuniscations. He was on holidays in Tunis and had to come back to deal with his company in Ottawa he had to fly through New York.

He was pulled aside at the airport and questioned, he asked for a lawyer but was refused because they said (they being FBI) that he wasnt a American Citizen therefore wasnt allowed one.They had personal info on him that he suspects came from Canada. They asked him about a known terrorist. he knew his brother, who he wroked with, and had met the terroritst a few times in passing.

They then put cuffs on his legs nad hands and moved him to another part of the airport. He had not eaten or slept in over a day. He was interrogated for hours on end. He was then asked to sign a paper. he did so. After a five days he was given a phone call. he called his mother-in-law (of all people) to get him a lawyer. After 7 or 8 days a Canadian offical showed up and said he would not be deported. A few days later he was deported to Jordan then to Syria. He spent 10 months being tortured and in a 'grave' type cell. He was given little food. No bathroom only a two litre bottle. he was torture on a regular basis. He was finally let go after 370 odd days. He is back in Canada and is alive.

What i want to know is what the fuck happened!

Was this man let down by the Canadian gov't for 10 months?
Should the US have never sent him to Syria, rather to Canada?
Why was he tortured?
Should there be a inquiry?

Jean Chrieten stated yesterday that this is entirely the US's fault that he is demanding the names of Americans that were involved, but no public inquiry.

Thoughts.

If you would like to read his story i urge you to go to http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/arar/arar_statement.html

It is a chilling story.

I'm confused about this myself. How did a Canadian citizen (OK, he had dual Canadian-Syrian citizenship, but still.......) end up getting tortured in a Syrian jail cell without committing a crime? It certainly doesn't seem fair.

I share your outrage. Canada should have been screaming about this, and my own beloved nation should NOT be complicit in torture by shipping suspects to Syria who will torture anyone we hand over to them (are they next for the UN Human Rights Chair, after Lybia? LOL). Okay, his name comes up on the wrong list, fair enough. It's your job to check that. Hold him until you can call Canada! I don't get at all what went wrong, and yes, there sure should be an investiagtion. Wonder if Amnesty has any more info...

:mad: :huh: :| :sad:

sd

The Syrians.

Yeah this thing has had me pissed off for days. The fact that it's now shown up that some RCMP officers may have been involved with the FBI is just sickeing. And we're supposed to believe that US law inforcement (even ours) has not been racist in the last two years? COme on this is blantant prejudice and criminal activity, but it will probably sink beneath the waves and get forgotten. Sick.

http://www.thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/Con...ews/World&pubid=968163964505&StarSource=email

U.S. to blame for Arar's deportation: Chr?tien
Syrian envoy says Canadian jailed as favour to U.S.

`We believe there is no case against him,' diplomat says

SUSAN DELACOURT
OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF

OTTAWA?Prime Minister Jean Chr?tien blames the United States for deporting Canadian citizen Maher Arar to Syria, where he was jailed and tortured for 10 months as a suspected terrorist.

"The people who are responsible for the deportation of this gentleman to Syria are in the government of the United States, not the government of Canada," Chr?tien, fists clenched, declared in the Commons yesterday.

U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has promised to hand over the names of any Canadians who may have aided in Arar's arrest and deportation in 2002, Chr?tien announced.

Yesterday, a high-ranking Syrian diplomat said that Syria agreed to imprison Arar in a gesture of goodwill toward the United States, the Washington Post reported.

"They told us he was an Al Qaeda activist, so we took him and put him in custody," said Imad Moustafa, charg? d'affaires at the Syrian embassy in Washington. "The U.S. was pressing us not to send him to Canada, the Canadians were pressing us to not send him to Syria."

Syrian officials freed Arar on Oct. 5 because the Bush administration cut communications with the government in Damascus and because they wanted to maintain good ties with the Canadian government, Moustafa said.

'''

:mad: The US is going freakin insane.

Scarletwine said:
Yesterday, a high-ranking Syrian diplomat said that Syria agreed to imprison Arar in a gesture of goodwill toward the United States, the Washington Post reported.

There is something seriously wrong with our world today when countries feel the need to imprison and torture people as a token of goodwill to the biggest beast in the jungle. Syria is the lowest of the low when it comes to human rights and everything that the US did here is wrong, wrong, wrong. And yes, I think we need a public inquiry in Canada, because I don't think our government is without blame either. Sad situation all around - war on terrorism gone insane.

This guy should sue the Canadian and American and Syrian (LMAO) governments for hundreds of millions, as a gesture of goodwill.

anitram said:

This guy should sue the Canadian and American and Syrian (LMAO) governments for hundreds of millions, as a gesture of goodwill.

Absolutely. There are few cases that I believe people should sue for huge compensations for mental anguish, or whatever they claim, but this is one of them. Although sadly it will never happen.

I'm not a lawyer, but this does seem like good grounds for a massive lawsuit. This is an outrage. The Syrian government sucks. It's embarrassing that they did this to try to court favor with my government. What the hell, indeed.:madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
I agree with you verte and anitram. The Syrian gov't have a lot to answer for.
How could the US legally send him there when he was on a Canadian passport? I guess it is natural for suspcision to be cast on him if this guy's brother knew even in passing a known terrorist. It unfortunately would take more than Maher Arar's word to prove neither he nor his brother were involved, but sheesh.

You should also know that I haven't seen this in any American news outlets.

So much for the "liberal media."

Melon

this case has taken another decidedly unsettling turn.

ottawa citizen

rcmp officers have raided the office and home of a journalist with the ottawa citizen in relation to a story she did on the maher arar case. that story is here

on todays raid, the citizen says,
The simultaneous raids were conducted early this morning on Ms. O'Neill's lowertown home and her office in the the Citizen bureau at City Hall. At her residence, a team of 10 officers was systematically searching drawers, cupboards and computer files.

what will hopefully develop over time is what the rcmp is seeking to do here. are they looking for the source of the leak to the reporter or are they attempting to shut the reporter up from further delving into the case. something is definitely amiss it seems.

well the RCMP take the lead form other sources.. They claim her to be in violation of Section 4 of the Security of Information Act if I am not mistaken.. for publishing a detailed Canadian intelligence dossier on Maher Arar.. guest they felt that a threat to security.. As for the freedom of the press Reporters enjoy no special protections beyond those granted to other citizens, which makes them subject to search warrants. Juliet O'Neill was only trying to do her job and shed light on a story.. so ya a dark day in the history of Canadian Media and the Law..

Back
Top Bottom