What the fuck is this,... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2003, 01:26 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:31 AM
What the fuck is this,...

Report: Marines dropped devices similar to Napalm on Iraqi troops
Associated Press

SAN DIEGO - Marine Corps fighter pilots and commanders say they dropped firebombs similar to napalm on Iraqi troops earlier this year, according to a report published Tuesday.

The Marines say that in March, U.S. warplanes dropped dozens of incendiary bombs near bridges over the Saddam Canal and the Tigris River in central Iraq to clear the way for troops headed to Baghdad.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryne...al/6465972.htm

Is this true,...

Old 08-07-2003, 02:12 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:31 PM
Rono,

I posted about that in

Quote:
so they blatantly lie and you dont care
i think it is true

scarletwine posted about it also.

wonder what sting2 would say about it
if he were still permitted to post here

Old 08-07-2003, 02:16 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Quote:
Although many human rights groups consider incendiary bombs to be inhumane, international law does not prohibit their use against military forces.
It is not illegal and in some cases there may be a valid reason to use such a weapon.

Peace
Old 08-07-2003, 02:30 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

when is it valid to use such inhumane weapons? I thought we supposedly learned our lesson in Vietnam? As long as the victims are Iraqis tho and not Vietnamese children and villagers, I guess it's all good. After all, their lives are cheaper. And if they suffer on the way out, so much the better.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:33 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
wonder what sting2 would say about it
if he were still permitted to post here

please drop this now deep. a passive/aggressive approach to getting him back into fym won't help him. this is between STING2 and the moderating team and is being worked on.

thank you,
lilly
and team interference
Old 08-07-2003, 02:42 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
when is it valid to use such inhumane weapons? I thought we supposedly learned our lesson in Vietnam? As long as the victims are Iraqis tho and not Vietnamese children and villagers, I guess it's all good. After all, their lives are cheaper. And if they suffer on the way out, so much the better.

These weapons are designed and are effective at clearing mines and booby traps. That is what they were being used for on the bridges. The article clearly says that. Were there soldiers there, apparently so.

For you to interject "racism" into this is pretty pathetic. I am not certain but it almost feels like that was directed at me, since I am the only one defending the use of these weapons in this thread.

The pilot's themselves in the article expressed sadness that there were Iraqi soldiers there when the went on their bombing run.

It is a war. If clearing mined and booby trapped bridges this way saves one American life, yes, I am for it. Not a racial issue, but a battle issue.

Peace Out.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:45 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Defend them if you want. I can't see how it's possible. I'm sorry. But there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed. Dropping napalm is one of them in my book. And if we're just supposed to shrug and say "oh well, war is hell" then I'm sorry but I'm not really able to do that either. Specially since it looks more and more like an illegitimate war that is still claiming innocent lives.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:52 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Defend them if you want. I can't see how it's possible. I'm sorry. But there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed. Dropping napalm is one of them in my book.
Again, the napalm was dropped to clear away mines and booby traps at a bridge. A very likely place for them. I suppose I defend it because if I were still in the service and ordered to cross a bridge I would expect them to do what they could to protect our lives and use strategies to protect our lives.

Quote:
And if we're just supposed to shrug and say "oh well, war is hell" then I'm sorry but I'm not really able to do that either. Specially since it looks more and more like an illegitimate war that is still claiming innocent lives.
Those are your words, not mine. Again this is, like the racial implications of your other remark, a mis-characterization of my position.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:55 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
"the napalm
Correction...the Mark 77.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:03 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
For you to interject "racism" into this is pretty pathetic. I am not certain but it almost feels like that was directed at me, since I am the only one defending the use of these weapons in this thread.

dread-

please don't on what people are writing in their posts, and calling it "pathetic" is unacceptable and you know it. sula's post was not directed at you. just because you're on different sides of the table, doesn't mean you can't discuss respectfully.

thank you
lilly

let's try and keep level heads in here
Old 08-07-2003, 03:07 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Sorry Lilly,

If I misinterpreted it. Clearly it must have been directed at someone else in the thread.

I will drop it,

Peace
Old 08-07-2003, 03:09 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Quote:
And if we're just supposed to shrug and say "oh well, war is hell" then I'm sorry but I'm not really able to do that either. Specially since it looks more and more like an illegitimate war that is still claiming innocent lives.
Those are your words, not mine. Again this is, like the racial implications of your other remark, a mis-characterization of my position.

she's not implying that you are a racist or otherwise marking your character. what you quoted off her had nothing to do with you, but rather with the subject of this thread.

Quote:
Clearly it must have been directed at someone else in the thread.
it wasn't directed at anyone dread, it was directed at the subject. she didn't quote you or say your name, there's nothing to lead to that conclusion. i know it's a hard subject. let's try and keep personal things out of it. please

i realize that we need to secure as much as we can putting our troops in as little danger as possible. but napalm is a touchy subject....so let's respect eachother and keep the remaining posts of this thread on topic please.

thanks
Old 08-07-2003, 03:12 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Just as an fyi, everything that is posted doesn't always necessarily have to be "directed at" someone in the thread. It is possible to be upset and just generally angry and heartsick at a situation.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:13 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

I am officially Done. Peace

EDITED: MEaning...too tired to continue.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:30 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
EDITED: MEaning...too tired to continue.
same here. perhaps posting during stress-induced insomnia was not the best of times.