What REALLY Caused Hurricane Katrina? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
I am well aware of unknown factors in Emanuele's theory, in fact, there probably isn't one person more aware of those than Emanuele himself. But such is the nature of science. I guess the thing I dislike most about all of this is when scientific theories are dismissed because they're not 100% conclusive (yet). There is strong evidence and it would be a big mistake to just brush it aside.
But we know the science behind the global warming theories has been highly politicized. I started a thread just a couple of weeks ago on this very topic.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:19 AM
Not to be argumentative, but you cant conclude that a correlation between more frequent or intense hurricanes and global warming means that one causes the other. It means they are related.
Until we can scientifically experiment with this theory we wont know how directly related they are to one another.
This doesnt mean we should dismiss the possiblilty. And it doesnt mean we should dismiss global warming because we should pay attention to envronmental issues.
All Im getting at is that you cant know that one thing causes another until you can conduct an experiment with a control situation as well

Old 09-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:19 AM
if people don't believe global warming is taking place...then really, i give up.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
if people don't believe global warming is taking place...then really, i give up.
Depends on what you mean by global warming.

I think most would agree that the earth goes through natural cycles of warming and cooling.

There is valid debate, however, regarding the impact of industrial production on the natural cycles of warming and cooling.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

I heard this person interviewed today.

http://wind.mit.edu/~emanuel/anthro2.htm

6-7 months ago he accepted your argument

now he believes warmer ocean currents are causing more intense hurricanes

most go unnoticed because they are over the oceans

only when we have a landfall in a populated area are they noted
Old 09-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I heard this person interviewed today.

http://wind.mit.edu/~emanuel/anthro2.htm

6-7 months ago he accepted your argument

now he believes warmer ocean currents are causing more intense hurricanes

most go unnoticed because they are over the oceans

only when we have a landfall in a populated area are they noted
What a fantastic link!
Old 09-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth at 09-05-2005 09:17 AM -
Anthopogenic Effects on Tropical Cyclone Activity

Everything you've ever wanted to know about this subject, especially if you visit his homepage.

Some interesting stuff:

why read valid scientific studies

when we can just argue corporarte politics

as articles of faith?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Depends on what you mean by global warming.

I think most would agree that the earth goes through natural cycles of warming and cooling.

There is valid debate, however, regarding the impact of industrial production on the natural cycles of warming and cooling.

i really don't think any serious scientist believes this. i'm not an expert, but generally speaking, there's little question as to the fact that human activity is warming the earth's atmosphere.

the question or debate is centered around *how much* the impact will be and then what will be the consequences.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:27 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Global Climate Change

One of the most critical environmental challenges facing the world today is reducing long-term growth in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. The use of fossil fuels to meet the world's energy needs has contributed to an increase in GHGs—mainly carbon dioxide and methane—in the earth's atmosphere. Many think this increase is leading to climate change, with potentially adverse effects on people, economies, and the environment—from coastal flooding, to droughts, to changes in ecosystems and biodiversity.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:33 AM   #70
War Child

Local Time: 08:19 AM

The temperature of the waters in the Gulf of Mexico before Hurricane Katrina made landfall was around 90+ degrees Farenheit!!!.... the highest the water temperature has EVER been in the Gulf of Mexico..the water temperature in the Gulf of Mexico at this time of year is usually around the mid 80's.

Known fact: hurricanes thrive on warm water and the warmer the water is the more intense a hurricane can become.Anyone who does not think global warming exists really needs to get their heads out of the sand.Depletion of the ozone layer.....the rise in skin cancer etc. etc.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:44 AM   #71
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by buzzkill27
The temperature of the waters in the Gulf of Mexico before Hurricane Katrina made landfall was around 90+ degrees Farenheit!!!.... the highest the water temperature has EVER been in the Gulf of Mexico..the water temperature in the Gulf of Mexico at this time of year is usually around the mid 80's.

Known fact: hurricanes thrive on warm water and the warmer the water is the more intense a hurricane can become.Anyone who does not think global warming exists really needs to get their heads out of the sand.Depletion of the ozone layer.....the rise in skin cancer etc. etc.

oh, stop.

we all know that taking the temperatures of the oceans is highlyl politicized.

the jury is still out.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:49 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i really don't think any serious scientist believes this. i'm not an expert, but generally speaking, there's little question as to the fact that human activity is warming the earth's atmosphere.

the question or debate is centered around *how much* the impact will be and then what will be the consequences.
This becomes a question of materiality. To deny the statement that "human activity is warming the earth's atmosphere" suggests that humans have no effect.

The question is really what are the material causes of warming (or cooling if you read other scientists), whether human, nature or cyclical. And within the human cause catagory, are the causes due to industrial production, urbanization of regions, changes to landscape due to agriculture, etc.

Making the discussion difficult is the politicalization of scientists, who should be able to investigate, study and publish free from any pre-set worldview.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Making the discussion difficult is the politicalization of scientists, who should be able to investigate, study and publish free from any pre-set worldview.

my understanding is that most of these studies are done by university academics who have no ties to either political party. opinions dissenting from the generally accepted notion that human activity is warming the earth, along with natural cycles of warming and cooling, usually comes from scientists who work for ideological foundations or oil companies.