What REALLY Caused Hurricane Katrina? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #31
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 07:45 PM
I heard in a tv special of the National geographic channel that the earth is concluding a "live stage" and is trying to inverse the magnetic poles... it means that the magnetic "north" (the one used in compasses) will be placed in the south and viceversa... it happened a lot of time ago and is like one of the cicles of our planet.

some scientist think that process has a lot to do with the climate changes and the natural disasters we are living now...

Old 09-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase

Regarding the topic of this thread:

Did anybody read Doc Teeth's post? The term used there was "absurd".

When we blame things like this on global warming and then see that it had nothing to do with this storm, it just adds ammo to the "global warming is a myth" line of reasoning.

By all means, give the environment a chance. Please, let's do much more than that. But let's not resort to making false assumptions about cause and effect. There's enough factual information out there about human impact on the environment and the way that affects human health and safety (see hiphop's post on wetland loss).

Old 09-05-2005, 06:31 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

When we blame things like this on global warming and then see that it had nothing to do with this storm, it just adds ammo to the "global warming is a myth" line of reasoning.

By all means, give the environment a chance. Please, let's do much more than that. But let's not resort to making false assumptions about cause and effect. There's enough factual information out there about human impact on the environment and the way that affects human health and safety (see hiphop's post on wetland loss).
I'll second that.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:32 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

That would be the easy road....

I third it...

All those in favor?
Old 09-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I third it...

All those in favor?
Well, we've got the only one we really need:Science.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I third it...

All those in favor?
But you had already "seconded" it with your thumbs up, then MeisterBrau actually "thirded" it when he said he seconded it, so now you're really "fourthing" it, right?

~U2Alabama
Old 09-06-2005, 01:07 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:45 AM
I really recommend the book "The Dance With The Devil" by Gunther (Guenther) Schwab. I wouldn´t know it if a native Indian hadn´t told me. Bad thing is, the english version is out of print; i got the german one. But if you´re interested you may find it used on google or anywhere.

It´s a novel written in the 50s, and it predicts developments - practically everything that Schwab predicted came true. Recommended for sure for anyone who wants to get a clearer perspective on environmental issues.. and a highly entertaining read, one might add.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:45 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:45 AM

Quote:

Just for clarification, Emanuele said it would be absurd to attribute the Kattrina disaster to enhanced global warming. He didn't say that didn't have anything to do with. The data just doesn't support that particular conclusion (as of yet).

Also, try not to forget about the part I highlighted:
Quote:
On the other hand, if one’s view is not confined to the U.S. but is global, and/or one’s time horizon is more than 50 years, global warming may indeed begin to have a discernible influence on hurricane damage, especially when coupled with projected increases in sea level.
There obviously is a cause for concern.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:53 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: What REALLY Caused Hurricane Katrina?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila

If not, no one should be surprised or upset when Katrinas happen.

I haven't read the article yet, but anyone who is "flabbergasted" or "In shock", or thinks "oh my god how could this happen?!?"

is a fool. Come on....... You can't honestly tell me that there are no natural disasters in the world. Or that if we get a bigass hurricane coming our way, and it is Katrina like in effect, that it is the end of the world.

Again, this isn't in response to the article, per se, but.... I still don't understand why people are so suprised with Katrina. I'm not suprised or upset.

It's not always going to be sunny and nice out, and I don't understand why people expect it to be anything close to that. Are Americans that deluded?

============

having read the article...........

I still have the same position........

Nature will always have it's ways. Anyone who is deeply offended by Katrina, or other major storms, etc, ......... I don't know...... I just don't know what to say....

what do you really expect?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:54 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And in regards to envorinmental conservation, I'm all for it. I wouldn't push for more profits at the exspense of the environment.

But that has nothing to do with my standpoint previously mentioned, on Katrina.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:05 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

Kyoto would be a nice start, but in reality its just a start. Consumers have to change their lifestyle, industry has to be fined for pumping chemicals into the water, let alone international problems like the Amazonas woods, les farmland, regions drying out, the fucking oil industry that even is too greedy to invest in safe ships so a couple of tankers sink every year, the automotive industry and its developments,..

and people have to start walking again.

But....... my 300lb 15 year old neighbor doesn't like to walk

(see, that's why hurricane Katrina was around, to trim off the dead weight - he wouldn't be able to outrun it, not at all.......)

harsh, but realistic

==========

As far as global warming goes..... I don't know, I'm not a scientist. I think we need to be careful about it. I agree with whenhiphopdrovethebigcars and God Part III, mostly.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by For Honor

(see, that's why hurricane Katrina was around, to trim off the dead weight - he wouldn't be able to outrun it, not at all.......)

harsh, but realistic
I assume you're only joking, but that's in poor taste, don't you think?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:48 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm not joking about my neighbor.......
Old 09-06-2005, 06:58 AM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by For Honor

harsh, but realistic

Old 09-06-2005, 07:00 AM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor

as much as i hate bush's response to this disaster... as much as i blame him, as well as the governor of louisiana and the mayor of new orleans, the head of fema, the head of homeland security, etc. for the utter failure and lack of preparation for something that we knew was comming...

to blame the actuall storm on bush because he didn't sign kyoto is rediculously naive and stupid.

should we blame the french for the tsunami? i mean after all, they conducted nuclear testing in the area that weakened the ground in the area, perhaps leading to the slipping of the plates...

OF COURSE not... let's not be stupid. if you want to bring politics into this? fine... by all means. but anyone wanting to bring bipartisan politics into this needs to be slapped in the face with a wet noodle. it's the republicans... but the democratic governor of louisiana fucked up just as much as the federal government. it's a race thing... but the african-american mayor of new orleans fucked up just as much as the state and federal governments did. we fucked this thing up on all levels, all parties. let's not let our party affiliations 'cause us to let anyone off the hook.

and lastly, there's plenty to blame bush for in regards to the response. let's not go blaming him for things that he had nothing to do with. 'cause even if these wacky ass theories about how global warming 'cause this hurricane is true... which they're not... but let's ay for a second that they are... to blame the sitting president for an environmental problem that we've known about for decades is silly.