What qualities hurt society? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:16 PM
To me, the main one is:

A lack of empathy for other people.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:57 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
marxism is a paradigm for social, political, and economic observation. you may or may not agree with its conclusions, but to say that it is something that "doesn't work" is a farce.

perhaps you were referencing totalitarian state capitalism?
Marxism may well be a "paradigm for social, political, and economic observation", but that doesn't get it off the hook.

Whenever marxism has been tried, it hasn't worked. I consider that adequate backing for stating that marxism doesn't work.

Bad ideas, bad economics, and bad philosophy cost lives.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:57 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:16 AM
The joke is that the Objectivists are the most orthodox even though as a philosophy it makes a virtue out of selfishness. I certainly see where Rand is coming from with it but the absence of compromise does make it seem quite cold.

The importance of the individual citizen is the most healthy characteristic of a society, this is something that does not exist in marxist or religious systems; it is always submission of individuality to the state or God ~ it always turns out that way because the power is consolidated and the structures are inflexible.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Marxism may well be a "paradigm for social, political, and economic observation", but that doesn't get it off the hook.

Whenever marxism has been tried, it hasn't worked. I consider that adequate backing for stating that marxism doesn't work.

I recomend the Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek on the nature of totalitarian states and their relationships to their economies.

There is no such thing as a laizzes-faire economy in a dictatorship because without state controls on the economy it is impossible to control the people.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:01 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

"marxism" has never been tried. like i said, it is a paradigm for social, political, and economic observation. it does, however, advocate communism. no communist community, in accordance with marxist philosophy, has ever existed. come off of it. the cold war is over.

tell me, how much marx have you read?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:03 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
no communist community, in accordance with marxist philosophy, has ever existed.
Tripe.

How much Marx have I read? Enough to find be sickened by it, I'll put it that way.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I recomend the Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek on the nature of totalitarian states and their relationships to their economies.
Yeah, might check it out. I read a bit of Adam Smith at college but that was quite a long time ago!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:05 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Tripe.

do point one out for me then.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:05 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

If it weren't for Karl Marx, we wouldn't have the Federal Reserve.

Even if communism is a blatant failure, his philosophy made positive contributions to capitalism, even if supply-siders are more than willing to revert to the oppressive capitalism of the late 19th century.

Melon
Old 06-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

The Marxist Utopia that I hear so much about must be an impossibility; if so many have tried to attain it and yet failed so miserably and killed so many. Why is it that free men are so unwilling to surrender their possessions for the greater good that they are always forced to do it? Why are individuals rights overrulled for the sake of the revoltion? Can there be voluntary communism?

Western style capitalism with the political backbone of the liberal democratic tradition is certainly the least bad system I can think of. Pushing the extremes in either direction will inevitably do a lot more damage.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:07 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
do point one out for me then.
I'll put it this way.

If apologists for Marxism are entitled to use the "a true communist society has never been tried" argument to get communism off the hook, can advocates of capitalism use the reverse argument to explain away any perceived failings of free market capitalist societies?

Deal?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:10 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Why is it that free men are so unwilling to surrender their possessions for the greater good that they are always forced to do it? Why are individuals rights overrulled for the sake of the revoltion? Can there be voluntary communism?
Could it be, perhaps, that humans value liberty and freedom? Could it be that communism does not?

Could it be (oh the heresy!) that capitalism works?

Se7en, in the 1950's your ideas were pretty popular among the intellectual classes. The world has moved on, and thank f*** for that.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:11 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I'll put it this way.

If apologists for Marxism are entitled to use the "a true communist society has never been tried" argument to get communism off the hook, can advocates of capitalism use the reverse argument to explain away any perceived failings of free market capitalist societies?

Deal?
Or Nazis could as well; I mean it was an all encompassing political ideology based off the welfare state and racial pride based millitarism. It just wasn't done right the first time around. A true Nazi society would just move the undesirables to Madagascar like they wanted to originially. It worked in the 1930's so well so why don't people give it another shot. This time it could be done right.

I apologise for violating Goodwins law but the argument is circular; it doesn't refute the points. I ask explicitly what makes communism the better choice and why wasn't it done right?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:13 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Just to note, the philosopher behind capitalism, Adam Smith, was opposed to laissez-faire capitalism, in practice. He was bothered by the concentration of power in big business, along with the emphasis on capital at the expense of labor.

Melon
Old 06-13-2005, 09:14 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Just to note, the philosopher behind capitalism, Adam Smith, was opposed to laissez-faire capitalism, in practice. He was bothered by the concentration of power in big business, along with the emphasis on capital at the expense of labor.

Melon
Yes there is actually a budding campaign to reclaim Smith for the left. ('Left' here meaning social democratic left, i.e. not communists.)