What Oprah Gave Her Audience Today - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 10-31-2006, 05:39 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:15 AM
One of my childhood friends' parents used to do something like this at Christmas. They would give a pretty significant sum of money to each of their kids with the stipulation that it had to be used for a good cause but let the kids decide how to allocate it. I always thought it must be nice to have enough extra money to do this, but thinking back, in a way my parents (poor as we were) managed to always give a portion of their miniscule missionary money to a fund set up to help missionaries even poorer than we are. So I guess that maybe it's possible to be charitable even when you have needs of your own. I certainly found this to be true in Africa where people living in abject poverty would share their homes, meals and bus fare with a stranger.

"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

Old 10-31-2006, 09:53 PM   #17
War Child
Local Time: 10:15 AM
I watched and was thinking what I could do. $1000 isn't the biggest amount of money so you have to think small to think big. I was thinking that a really fun thing to do would pay for the 1000 cars behind you at a tollbooth (I go through one everyday and twice had the car infront pay and must have walked around int he best mood for the rest of the day!!) This isn't so charitable but still makes many people smile.

Also I was thinking it being Halloween and all a $1000 is a HUGE amount of candy and there are a lot of needy kids out there. maybe put on a haunted house for them or something? I dunno-I liek this idea-there are SOOOOOO many things to be done.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:51 PM   #18
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!
Local Time: 07:15 AM
Wow, that's really an interesting thing Oprah giving the debit cards for people to then give away. I've been thinking about what I would do had I been given one in her audience and I think I would donate it to a food bank or toward fighting AIDS, to our Veterans or to combat homelessness I've given so much to Africa and the various Build a Well etc as I do every year and I would use this for some charitable use in the US.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:53 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:15 PM
I would spend it on a organization that fights hidden advertising for Banks that make billions.