What nixon was going to do - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2004, 05:41 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:33 AM
Allow me to correct myself....in my reading online...in another article on the topic.....the words "last resort" was included.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/01/in...partner=GOOGLE

Old 01-02-2004, 06:41 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I'm wondering what it was a contingency for?

If we don't get our oil nicely, we'll do it by force and occupation? What a disturbing train of thought. What next? Countries invading each other over fresh water resources?

Uh oh, I live in the country with the most fresh water in the world.
Careful.......

Old 01-02-2004, 07:11 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

This really is disturbing...

This is a British Document....Not an American Document.
It is their assessment of the US Position.

Finally....Anyone here lived through the OIL Embargo of 1973? It did not just effect the US. It caused a world wide crisis. Do you understand what it was about? Just curious?

#1 It began with Egypt launching a surprise attack on Israel on Yom Kippor in 1973 knowing that there was a secret agreement among the OPEC Nations to increase the price of oil by boycotting the sale to Western Nations and Japan.

#2 On Day 11 of the War OPEC announced the Boycott, thereby assuring that Western Nations would not intervene in the sruprize attack that had been launched against Israel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The country that had been supplying EGYPT and SYRIA with the materials for the attack was the SOVIET UNION.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yes, this appears to have been a LAST resort contingency PLAN should it appear that the SOVIETS become more involced with troops in the region. The western nations and the United States were looking at the worst financial crisis potentially since the depression.

As much as I despise the Nixon administration, this really does need to be looked upon in the context of the entire situation.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:12 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

^^
Old 01-02-2004, 09:38 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:33 AM
It does need to be looked at in context, I agree. It was at the height of the Cold War. I am still glad that the invasion wasn't carried out. It was not an easy problem to solve, however. The problem solved itself when the Soviet Union fell apart, but that was yet to be.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:40 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Of course there is context. And a perfect example of how finances and money take precedence over everything, including sovereignty and human lives. And that applies to all sides here. What a miserable way to live.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:45 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

And distgustingly enough, here we are 30 years later, still dependant on OIL.

On a side note, Nixon made a trip to Saudi Arabia after the embargo ended, and made some great progress there fixing relations with the Saudi kingdom. Unfortunately for him, he is not remembered for that either.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:50 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
And distgustingly enough, here we are 30 years later, still dependant on OIL.
Indeed. We have come far in terms of scientific progress, but I believe that the oil and plastics industrial lobbies will curb further non-oil related research for a long time. Interestingly enough, were we all to move away from a dependence on oil, the oppressive regimes in the Middle East would no longer have the upper hand nor the money with which to squash their people and dreams of democracy.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:12 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

this was truly interesting. I must admit I really didn't know some of this was going on behind the scene's. Thanks for the article's Headache & Dreadsox. good point of view.. Anitram.