What is your Take on this? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:39 AM
What is your Take on this?

Ok so I am taking Public Speaking as one of my classes this Semester. Now my class is tought on a different campus in fact it's being tought in a public elementary school classroom. Now I have nothing against homosexuality. So I am sitting in class and I look on the wall to my right and I see a poster done by a Gay Right's group. The Poster says "How to tell if a students Parents are Gay?" Is that appropriate in a public elementary school classroom setting? I will try posting a picture next time I go to class.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:39 AM

In elementary school I didn't even know what gay meant other than happy

It seems kind of odd...

Old 09-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:39 AM
Re: What is your Take on this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
"How to tell if a students Parents are Gay?"
How is this aimed to the students?

If it was aimed towards the students, wouldn't it say, "How to tell if your friend(or peer, or fellow students) parents are gay?"

I just don't get the purpose...
Old 09-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Re: What is your Take on this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
The Poster says "How to tell if a students Parents are Gay?" Is that appropriate in a public elementary school classroom setting? I will try posting a picture next time I go to class.
Not only do I think it's not appropriate, I don't really understand the purpose of it. What does that have to do with school? Why should anyone that would see that poster- students or teachers -need to know if a student's parents or gay are not? Gay or straight, it shouldn't have any effect on the kind of education the student receives. Isn't that what school is about - education?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

i really think i'd need more information to understand this situation.

the poster would make sense, to me, if it were part of an awareness campaign for the teachers, not the students, because teachers can probably safely assume that their students (being pre-pubescent) do not have a grasp on their sexual orientation, but they don't necessarily know this about thier parents, so perhaps it's to create some sort of awareness amongst teachers?

i really don't get it, to be honest.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
She's the One

Local Time: 12:39 AM
I'd like to know more about both the poster and its placement.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I'd like to know more about both the poster and its placement.
Yeah, it's a little hard to give an opinion one way or the other without seeing it or knowing where it's at and why.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I will take a photo next week and post it.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
"How to tell if a students Parents are Gay?"

perhaps it is nothing more than a grammer lesson?

""How to tell if a student's Parents are Gay?""
Old 09-08-2006, 08:04 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: What is your Take on this?

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Not only do I think it's not appropriate, I don't really understand the purpose of it. What does that have to do with school? Why should anyone that would see that poster- students or teachers -need to know if a student's parents or gay are not? Gay or straight, it shouldn't have any effect on the kind of education the student receives. Isn't that what school is about - education?
Pretending that gay people don't exist is as foolish as pretending that black people or Hispanic people don't exist.

However, the biggest fallacy is assuming that, by not acknowledging the existence of gay people, children remain ignorant of their existence. No, instead, "gay" just becomes another slur that they pick up from their equally ignorant parents, and every kid they hate or dislike becomes "gay."

And I see this as a problem. School is a tool for socialization just as much as it is a tool for education, whether you like it or not.

Melon
Old 09-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: What is your Take on this?

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

School is a tool for socialization just as much as it is a tool for education, whether you like it or not.

Melon
Very true. And that is why it is a battleground.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: What is your Take on this?

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Pretending that gay people don't exist is as foolish as pretending that black people or Hispanic people don't exist.

However, the biggest fallacy is assuming that, by not acknowledging the existence of gay people, children remain ignorant of their existence. No, instead, "gay" just becomes another slur that they pick up from their equally ignorant parents, and every kid they hate or dislike becomes "gay."

And I see this as a problem. School is a tool for socialization just as much as it is a tool for education, whether you like it or not.

Melon
What are you talking about?

All I said was that whether a kid's parents are gay or straight, it shouldn't make a difference to the kind of education the child receives, so there is no reason for a teacher to be able to tell if a student's parent is gay.

How is that akin to me saying that teachers should "pretend gay people don't exist"?

Why would you want the teachers to be able to tell if a student's parents are gay? Do you want gay parents to be treated differently than straight parents?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #13
She's the One

You guys, we don't even know the context, the message, or the placement of this thing, and yet you're arguing about it.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is your Take on this?

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Why would you want the teachers to be able to tell if a student's parents are gay? Do you want gay parents to be treated differently than straight parents?

perhaps it was intended for the students, and for the reasons that Melon suggested -- "gay" is almost as common an insult as "stupid" on playgrounds (was when i was a child, am sure it's probably about the same today), and perhaps the sign was an attempt to address what is a vastly more hurtful insult than we might initially think.

it's really not acceptable to call someone "retarded" or to say "ugh, that's so retarded" in the way it was 20 years ago, i don't think, and this is probably because we're more aware now that someone might have a sibling with, say, Down's Syndrome (my mother was a Special Ed teacher and we were explicitly forbidden from ever using "retarded" as an insult), in the same way that someone could have lesbian parents, or a gay uncle, or whatever.

but, as Martha has noted, we really don't have any context for this.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is your Take on this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

perhaps it was intended for the students, and for the reasons that Melon suggested -- "gay" is almost as common an insult as "stupid" on playgrounds (was when i was a child, am sure it's probably about the same today), and perhaps the sign was an attempt to address what is a vastly more hurtful insult than we might initially think.
I understand that. However, I would think that giving the students the knowledge of how to tell if a kid's parents are gay would be detrimental rather than helpful. For instance, if Kid 1 likes to throw insults around and he discovers that Kid 2's parents are gay, Kid 1's use of the term "gay" is now personal. "Your parents are gay. You must be too", and stuff like that.

I think a better way to get kids not to use that insult at school is to have a lesosn on "insulting words that we will not tolerate". This would include many other terms also, such as "retarded", "fatso", etc.