What is your Take on Abortion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Party Boy said:

All of the above. To me, they prevent the possibility of life. Abortion is ending life that already exists.

Please tell me if you cannot see the difference and I will try to explain.

So what is your answer to my question first and i will DO the honour of educating YOU!

fly so high! said:

So what is your answer to my question first and i will DO the honour of educating YOU!

Ok - to answer your question

You asked if I used any contraception because if I did, I was in some way, aborting life, correct?

And my answer is, all those measures prevent the possibility of life (or at least 99% chance of life). So how can all forms of contraception be seen as abortion when there is no life to abort, other than the potential of life.

Anyway, this arguement is a much more religious angle to argue against abortion. I am not argueing that angle.

fly so high! said:

Wait a minute, i just re-read your post. You answered All of the above to the list of contraception methods.

And you happen to be a Pro-Lifer!.....ummm...interesting......
you don't consider The Pill or morning-after NOT Abortifacient...'cause reality is, it certainly is, it's just that the termination of pregnancy happens straight away or within a 72 hour period.

Party Boy said:

If you read my original post, I have no interest in womens bodies. My arguement is the rights of the unborn child.

I know you're a man so you probably have no idea just how frightening that sounds to me as a woman and I can tell you I ain't the only one, not by far.

fly so high! said:

Wait a minute, i just re-read your post. You answered All of the above to the list of contraception methods.

And you happen to be a Pro-Lifer!.....ummm...interesting......
you don't consider The Pill or morning-after NOT Abortifacient...'cause reality is, it certainly is, it's just that the termination of pregnancy happens straight away or within a 72 hour period.

Let me clarify..

I am pro - life where life exists. How can i be pro - life if no life exists, other than the potential? I am aborting potential.

Sure, the morning after pill could be aborting existing life. I am not arguing this. However, we dont know this for a fact, so this for me is potential life as we are not consious of life existing.

anitram said:

I know you're a man so you probably have no idea just how frightening that sounds to me as a woman and I can tell you I ain't the only one, not by far.

Can I just clarify this sentence before I get jumped on by tons of people.

What i meant to say was who is the voice for the unborn child. Thats all. I didnt mean it to come out as harsh as it looks - i.e. women have zero rights and its all about the unborn child.

Apologies.

Party Boy said:

Let me clarify..

I am pro - life where life exists. How can i be pro - life if no life exists, other than the potential? I am aborting potential.

Sure, the morning after pill could be aborting existing life. I am not arguing this. However, we dont know this for a fact, so this for me is potential life as we are not consious of life existing.

So..... what, you DON'T think your little swimmers or your GF eggs are not LIFE!

Party Boy said:

Can I just clarify this sentence before I get jumped on by tons of people.

What i meant to say was who is the voice for the unborn child. Thats all. I didnt mean it to come out as harsh as it looks - i.e. women have zero rights and its all about the unborn child.

Apologies.

Thanks for the clarification!

But I would argue that we have MORE than enough "voices" for the unborn child. They are everywhere, they are often hysterical, they are pharmacists who won't issue me out pill that my MD prescribed, they have powerful lobbies, and so on.

The unborn have louder voices than the children who are abandoned into the foster care system, louder voices than the women so desperate that they feel they have no choice, louder voices than the women in the third world who have no access to birth control at all and so on.

anitram said:

Thanks for the clarification!

But I would argue that we have MORE than enough "voices" for the unborn child. They are everywhere, they are often hysterical, they are pharmacists who won't issue me out pill that my MD prescribed, they have powerful lobbies, and so on.

The unborn have louder voices than the children who are abandoned into the foster care system, louder voices than the women so desperate that they feel they have no choice, louder voices than the women in the third world who have no access to birth control at all and so on.

As I wrote in previous posts, i have nothing against contraception - that whole part of the anti abortion lobby I completely disagree with.

Equally, from a medical point of view, I found your earlier post about what constitutes living life quite interesting and it has made me think a lot.

I also take on board what your saying in relation to third world countries who dont have access to birth control etc. however, these issues, along with foster care systems, children being abandoned etc are all social issues which ultimately the unborn child is paying for. I don't agree with that.

As the unborn child cannot speak for themselves, a louder voice is needed to ensure its rights are heard.

I've read through this thread want to ask something - and please know I'm not trying to entrap anyone here, or add gasoline to the fire, or call out anyone in particular.

A common thread among those who dispute abortion as being a matter of choice for women is the rallying cry of "But who will protect the child's rights?". Now, I would guess that 97% of the world's population is fully in support of protecting newborns (and children, in general) from things or people that may harm them. And why is that? Excluding religious beliefs, it could stem from morals, personal convictions, or even a conscience which directs us to be the 'hero' for someone/something smaller, weaker and less able to defend itself. Besides, it's a win-win situation - the 'weakling' is defended plus we get an ego boost & a chance to pat ourselves on the back for our noble endeavors.

But that's where things get shaky for me. All these folks who line miles and miles of a major thoroughfare here in Wilmington the first Sunday of every October, (for example) with their posters and handmade signs and small children in tow, shouting to traffic to stop abortion.... why aren't these same folks protesting in front of orphanages, boys'/girls' homes, foster parenting agencies, etc.? I mean, if you're so interested in protecting the rights of children, why not start with the ones that are already part of our society? What - only 'cute' little newborns deserve special help?

That's the part of the pro-life stance that I've always had issue with. I feel that until every child that needs a family has one (via adoption, not foster care which is supposed to be temporary) I don't want to see a single soul shouting to "Save the Babies!". EVERY child deserves to be saved - not just the cute little babes. I can only imagine that while most pro-lifers would have no problem subjugating my body to their decisions, they'd strongly object to our government telling them which of these newborn children they'd then have to take into their homes & raise. Whether or not to have more children should be the parents' choice, right? (<--- Strong irony intended here.)

I don't really expect that such a thing would ever happen, and maybe I'm looking at things in a terribly naieve way, but it's always been in my thoughts when discussing abortion.

What about the kids already born who deserve to be protected, too?

Last edited:
Thank you BluRmGrl for expressing what I've always pondered about the pro-lifers.

If they only expended as much energy in looking after the unwanted children who have already been born, those in foster care, in orphanages, working soup kitchens to help the homeless, the addicted, the mentally ill, the dispossessed, as they ever did getting worked up over abortion. :shrug:

Party Boy said:

I dont need to think about what I say or believe in.

This seems to be a running theme in FYM lately. Why is that? Are we getting lazy, or ignorant?

Party Boy said:

If you read my original post, I have no interest in womens bodies.

:lol:

Then I guess you'll never have to worry about getting a girl pregnant.

Four + years here in FYM....and I am shaking my head.

Why do the regulars sit by when stereotypes would not be tolorated of liberals.......and watch when people stereotype pro-lifers?

ANY pro-lifer that I know is committed to other causes including soup kitchen, sleeping with the homeless in shelters, have adopted children......They may not be supportive of governement programs that the liberal community supports.....but they are active. Just because it is not YOUR cause does not mean they are not actively helping in their own way.

And there are PROLIFERS in this forum who have engaged in ministries that help the poorest of the poor here in America and abraod..

Dreadsox said:

Why do the regulars sit by when stereotypes would not be tolorated of liberals.......and watch when people stereotype pro-lifers?

Dread, I've never seen any progress made on the abortion issue in a forum such as this. Actions speak louder than words, I think you touched on that in your post.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This seems to be a running theme in FYM lately. Why is that? Are we getting lazy, or ignorant?

:lol:

Then I guess you'll never have to worry about getting a girl pregnant.

If you read all the posts I sent folling that statement, you will see that i clarified it.

:confused:

As for your last sentence, I have no idea what your talking about what that has to do with anything:shrug:

Last edited:
I'm leaving this topic for good now,catch you guys around in other threads,i've pretty much exhausted my reasons/my take on being Pro-Choice!

Thought i would leave some ACTUAL facts, as the general consensus among Pro-life advocates, is the horrible thought of killing an unborn child around full-term pregnancy.

- 52% of all abortions occur before the 9th week of pregnancy, 25% happen between the 9th & 10th week, 12% happen between the 11th and 12th week, 6% happen between the 13th & 15th week, 4% happen between the 16th & 20th week, and 1% of all abortions happen after the 20th week of pregnancy.

- The following birth control methods are in fact Abortificient,so if you happen to be Pro-Life,you might want to cease the following birth control methods as they do result in the termination of a pregnancy.

The Pill - prevents ovulation,thickens the cervix so the sperm cannot reach the uterus or fallopian tubes,also alters the wall lining of the uterus,making it not such a habitual place for the embryo to "live"

Implanon/Norplant - this is an implant that is placed under the skin of the arm for a period of 3-5 years. The hormone released prevents the implantation of the embryo.

Depo-Provera - is an injection administerd every 3 months.Also to prevent the woman from ovulating and preventing implantation of the embryo.

The morning after pill (plan B) - is ahigh concentrated form of the birth control pill, it is usally taken within 72 hours from intercourse to prevent the implantation of the embryo.

RU-486(mifepristone) - 2 days after having RU-486,a drug is given to induce labour.This process is usually done before 7 weeks.

As for the "silent scream" film,that is a very dated production,well over 15 years ago,and practices such as "hacking" at fetuses is not performed.

- Abortions are either performed surgically(procedure) or medically(drugs) under very strict,hygienic, controlled enviroments with lots of focus on the mother,with counselling services available,to make sure the decision is not a hurried one.

- More than 40% of women will end a pregnancy by abortion at some time in their reproductive life.

:wave:

Party Boy said:

If you read all the posts I sent folling that statement, you will see that i clarified it.

Maybe you think you did.

Party Boy said:

As for your last sentence, I have no idea what your talking about what that has to do with anything:shrug:

It was a joke, hense the wink. If you have no interest in women's bodies you wouldn't sleep with them therefore wouldn't have to worry about getting them pregnant...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Maybe you think you did.

It was a joke, hense the wink. If you have no interest in women's bodies you wouldn't sleep with them therefore wouldn't have to worry about getting them pregnant...

Yup, I think I did.

As for the rest of your post, I am assuming this is a joke also?

Last edited:
Party Boy said:

Just as I thought :shrug:

What? The :huh: was there because I have no clue as to what you are talking about.

I explained to you that my original comment was a joke, and you respond with
I am assuming this is a joke also?

I mean what the hell does that mean?

You make no sense.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What? The :huh: was there because I have no clue as to what you are talking about.

I explained to you that my original comment was a joke, and you respond with

I mean what the hell does that mean?

You make no sense.

I have zero idea what the hell your talking about. You make zero sense to me either, so lets just leave it at that.

I think everyone who cared to has made their points in here by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom