What is your Take on Abortion? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2006, 08:33 AM   #76
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 12:11 PM
errrr, you misconstrued what i said. I didn't say they should have an abortion rather then adoption, but if they REALLY don't want the child, don't have it, because you go through so many emotions and there are all ready TOO many children suffering and needing the love that these 'would be abortions' are taking up!

Old 04-20-2006, 08:34 AM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 11:11 AM
I am 100% pro-choice!!!!

I do have a problem with "some" women using abortion consistently as a form of contraception though.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #78
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ewings
I wonder how old Justin24 is? Not that age has much to do with the debate, but he comes across as being very young and fresh behind the ears.
There's no need to talk about Justin in the third person, it's rude and you can always quote him then ask him directly if you really want to know his age. But as you say it's not relevant.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #79
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
I said I would agree to an abortion if a woman was raped. A person wearing a condom does not have to take a pill. Unless they invented a pill for men.
Here you go again justin! So what are you saying , that because the fetus was conceived under circumstances like rape, that the fetus has no right to live. Look buddy, this is just another topic you cannot sit on the fence about....you are either Pro-choice or pro-life!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #80
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

If more mouth's were loaded, there would be less accidental pregnancies?
Ewwwwww...although i did hear that if you get your man to drink Pineapple juice, it tastes better!!!

*sorry for that de-railment,back on track shall we*
Old 04-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #81
The Fly

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

There's no need to talk about Justin in the third person, it's rude and you can always quote him then ask him directly if you really want to know his age. But as you say it's not relevant.
I was not being rude to Justin; back on page 4 he said he was leaving -- or had to go. Therefore, my posting was more of an inquiry.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:11 PM
I am 24 years old.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #83
She's the One

Local Time: 05:11 PM
Ok.

Those of you who so generously will allow abortions in the case of rape, please spell out for the rest of us how that works. Please include details about what to do in the case of an acquitted rapist, a rapist who is never caught, or a rapist whose trial will be several months after the child conceived through the rape will be born. Also please address unreported rapes.

If you have no concrete plans for these contigencies, then shut the fuck up about it.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #84
The Fly

Local Time: 01:11 AM
I think abortion should be retro-active, to the child's 18th birthday. This way you can defer the decision until you see how your kid turns out. It would give more weight to the expression "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out!"

Just kidding, of course...
Old 04-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #85
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!
I do have a problem with "some" women using abortion consistently as a form of contraception though.
People often mention women who use abortion as a form of contraception, but ... really? Does anyone know a woman who is so lackadasical about abortion as to shrug and say, "Oops, pregnant again. Time for a trip to the clinic!"

It sounds to me like a pro-life argument against abortion, when really it just doesn't happen. (Or, if it does, is very, very rare.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "some women treat abortion as a form of contraception" sounds an awful lot like saying those who are pro-choice are pro-abortion (i.e., a pretty darned incorrect statement).
Old 04-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Ok.

Those of you who so generously will allow abortions in the case of rape, please spell out for the rest of us how that works. Please include details about what to do in the case of an acquitted rapist, a rapist who is never caught, or a rapist whose trial will be several months after the child conceived through the rape will be born. Also please address unreported rapes.

If you have no concrete plans for these contigencies, then shut the fuck up about it.
For once, I agree with you.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Ok.

i wonder, though, if this doesn't get into an inconsistancy, or at least a lapse in thinking, that i hear often on the pro-life/anti-choice side.

if we are concerned about the life of the fetus, that it is equal in stature to any other human being on the planet and therefore abortion is tantamount to infantacide, then it really doesn't matter how it got there. a woman could be raped, a woman could be impregnated by her father, but once that zygote is formed, that's it folks. show's over. we've got a human being, and that's it.

so it seems to me that exceptions of "rape and/or incest" are really tied into the idea of forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy to term as a method of puritanical punishment for having sex, since rape and incest are most assuredly not sex (they are sexual crimes).

what such exceptions do is take the focus away from the fetus, and place the focus back on the behavior of the mother unmasking much (not all) of pro-life thought as misogyny in disguise.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #88
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 08:11 PM
just my two cents

Where I live, abortion is illegal, whithout exception. but there are women who risk their health going to illegal abortion clinics, many of them get sick after the procedure, some of them die. If the people who lives in a "pro -life" country are trying to get rid of their babies, something is happening. but before legalizing abortion I think that we must consider what circumstances are affecting us.

Abortion is, for me, the sympton of many problems in our society: poverty, misogyny, violence against women and children... and it has to be treated as a sympton, if we don't solve all the problems behind the abortion issue, we will never get a better solution.

some weeks ago I saw on tv a documentary about pregnant teenagers in Bogotá. Many of the girls came from poor families, some of them were running away from violence in the country and stablished in the city without their parents and without any chance to study or work. Abortion would be the solution? I guess not.

In my personal case, I think that freedom should come along with responsability. I think it is easier to buy a condom or take a pill instead of getting an abortion (or keeping the baby) , but I know that it doesn't apply to everyone.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #89
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen

please marry me!
Um, ok. What are you doing next Tuesday? I think I could pencil in a wedding next Tuesday.
Oh! And, then we could have an abortion
Old 04-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #90
Refugee

I am unapologetically pro-choice. Whether abortion is legal or not, there are women who are going to end their pregnancies, and I prefer that they do it under safe and legal conditions.