What is your Take on Abortion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin I really hope you realise that no one in here likes abortion. No one flippantly thinks it is just ok. Those who support the choice for abortion realise what it is. They're deciding based on more than a (narrow) look at one aspect of the decision and procedure. This apparent total lack of understanding that the woman who experiences an aborted pregnancy is not affected is just sad. How she is affected is tremendous. Dont ever assume the support for choice advocates feel any different.

Dreadsox said:

If more mouth's were loaded, there would be less accidental pregnancies?

:applaud:

(and, on a side note, while not at all risk-free, oral sex is far less risky when it comes to transmitting STDs, especially HIV, for which the risk of transmission during oral sex is statistically insignificant)

(and no one ever had an abortion as a result of gay sex :D )

(and this thread is super silly, and i, like joyfulgirl, don't have the energy to express an opinion)

Personally, I'm against it. I think it's a disgusting action that should be avoided in all instances. If I were female, I would never consider it. As a male, I would offer myself as a solution to prevent it.

But there's the rub. It just ain't my decision. I think of it as wrong, but not everyone does. In fact, MOST people in the world don't consider it wrong. And that's a pretty powerful argument for keeping it legal. How can I subject the world's women to MY very male, religion-based, minority view?

This really is the essence of being Pro Choice. It's a cliche to say it, but it doesn't mean you favor abortion, it simply means you favor choice.

LPU2 said:
In fact, MOST people in the world don't consider it wrong. And that's a pretty powerful argument for keeping it legal. How can I subject the world's women to MY very male, religion-based, minority view?

:up: I like you.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I'm not sure how laws are presently but I believe abortion should be allowed in the first trimester of the pregnancies. After that, well, you miss your boat.

how many women do you think walk around, 5 or 6 months pregant, and suddenly stop in the middle of the street, slap their foreheads, and say, "an abortion! i should get one! i just knew there was something i've been meaning to get around to!"

it's like the wonderfully ironic Sara Silverman joke about the 24 hour waiting period for an abortion: "Quite frankly, I think it's a good law. I was going to get an abortion the other day. I totally wanted an abortion—and it turns out I was just thirsty."

most abortions that happen after the first trimester are usually for the health and safety of the mother, or the mother herself is very, very young (13 or 14) and is in a total state of denial about the pregnancy.

Angela Harlem said:
Justin I really hope you realise that no one in here likes abortion. No one flippantly thinks it is just ok.

Oooh, ooh...I love abortions. MMMM, dead fetuses. Have you ever seen dead fetus soap on a rope?
I heard about placenta rum on the radio today...sounds tasty.

Ok, I'm just kidding about loving abortions. But, there really is a website for dead fetus soap on a rope and I really did hear about how to make placenta rum on the radio. I think the point is this: Pro-lifers assume that pro-choicers are pro-death. No one actually walks around going "I love abortions...abort abort abort....abort little fetuses!"

Last edited:
blueyedpoet said:

Oooh, ooh...I love abortions. MMMM, dead fetuses. Have you ever seen dead fetus soap on a rope?
I heard about placenta rum on the radio today...sounds tasty.

Ok, I'm just kidding about loving abortions. But, there really is a website for dead fetus soap on a rope and I really did hear about how to make placenta rum on the radio. I think the point is this: Pro-lifers assume that pro-choicers are pro-death. No one actually walks around going "I love abortions...abort abort abort....abort little fetuses!"

:lol: please marry me!

Well i think there are enough starving orphans disadvantaged children in our own countries, let alone other third world countries to bring in a baby from a one night stand, an absuvie relationship, a mistake etc. Sometimes its a MISTAKE, the pill and the condom are 99% effective which means one in 100 times possibly some sperm will get through and whoopsie fucking do you're pregnant. ALSO, as Angela said no one wants to have an abortion its an extrmely emotional thing to go through and this misconception of women out there having 15 abortions for every one night stand is LUDICRIOUS!

Also, a lot of adoptions go wrong. The babies mum decided to give it up then doesnt, then does then doesnt etc etc messes around the adoption family, hearts get broken etc etc Then when the child grows up 'i wanna know my real mum, i wanna know my real dad' etc and it makes a whole lot of problems.

I think there are plenty of children already out there needing love and attention, not mistake children brought into the world because its illigial to have an abortion.

and thats mah two cents for ya! :D

not that I'm against abortion as a right for the people instead of the state, but isn't it a little tricky to assert that abortions are a better option than families getting a 'broken heart' or adopted children having 'issues' with who their real parents are? I mean the option to that is not existing. a lot of people have issues or broken hearts in life, doesn't mean they would prefer to not exist. i wouldn't stop abortion but let's be real about what it is.

I wonder how old Justin24 is? Not that age has much to do with the debate, but he comes across as being very young and fresh behind the ears.

:eek:

errrr, you misconstrued what i said. I didn't say they should have an abortion rather then adoption, but if they REALLY don't want the child, don't have it, because you go through so many emotions and there are all ready TOO many children suffering and needing the love that these 'would be abortions' are taking up!

ewings said:
I wonder how old Justin24 is? Not that age has much to do with the debate, but he comes across as being very young and fresh behind the ears.
There's no need to talk about Justin in the third person, it's rude and you can always quote him then ask him directly if you really want to know his age. But as you say it's not relevant.

Justin24 said:
I said I would agree to an abortion if a woman was raped. A person wearing a condom does not have to take a pill. Unless they invented a pill for men.

Here you go again justin! So what are you saying , that because the fetus was conceived under circumstances like rape, that the fetus has no right to live. Look buddy, this is just another topic you cannot sit on the fence about....you are either Pro-choice or pro-life!

yolland said:

There's no need to talk about Justin in the third person, it's rude and you can always quote him then ask him directly if you really want to know his age. But as you say it's not relevant.

I was not being rude to Justin; back on page 4 he said he was leaving -- or had to go. Therefore, my posting was more of an inquiry.

Ok. :rolleyes:

Those of you who so generously will allow abortions in the case of rape, please spell out for the rest of us how that works. Please include details about what to do in the case of an acquitted rapist, a rapist who is never caught, or a rapist whose trial will be several months after the child conceived through the rape will be born. Also please address unreported rapes.

If you have no concrete plans for these contigencies, then shut the fuck up about it.

I think abortion should be retro-active, to the child's 18th birthday. This way you can defer the decision until you see how your kid turns out. It would give more weight to the expression "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out!"

Just kidding, of course...

fly so high! said:
I do have a problem with "some" women using abortion consistently as a form of contraception though.

People often mention women who use abortion as a form of contraception, but ... really? Does anyone know a woman who is so lackadasical about abortion as to shrug and say, "Oops, pregnant again. Time for a trip to the clinic!"

It sounds to me like a pro-life argument against abortion, when really it just doesn't happen. (Or, if it does, is very, very rare.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "some women treat abortion as a form of contraception" sounds an awful lot like saying those who are pro-choice are pro-abortion (i.e., a pretty darned incorrect statement).

martha said:

Those of you who so generously will allow abortions in the case of rape, please spell out for the rest of us how that works. Please include details about what to do in the case of an acquitted rapist, a rapist who is never caught, or a rapist whose trial will be several months after the child conceived through the rape will be born. Also please address unreported rapes.

If you have no concrete plans for these contigencies, then shut the fuck up about it.

For once, I agree with you.

martha said:

i wonder, though, if this doesn't get into an inconsistancy, or at least a lapse in thinking, that i hear often on the pro-life/anti-choice side.

if we are concerned about the life of the fetus, that it is equal in stature to any other human being on the planet and therefore abortion is tantamount to infantacide, then it really doesn't matter how it got there. a woman could be raped, a woman could be impregnated by her father, but once that zygote is formed, that's it folks. show's over. we've got a human being, and that's it.

so it seems to me that exceptions of "rape and/or incest" are really tied into the idea of forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy to term as a method of puritanical punishment for having sex, since rape and incest are most assuredly not sex (they are sexual crimes).

what such exceptions do is take the focus away from the fetus, and place the focus back on the behavior of the mother unmasking much (not all) of pro-life thought as misogyny in disguise.

just my two cents :)

Where I live, abortion is illegal, whithout exception. but there are women who risk their health going to illegal abortion clinics, many of them get sick after the procedure, some of them die. If the people who lives in a "pro -life" country are trying to get rid of their babies, something is happening. but before legalizing abortion I think that we must consider what circumstances are affecting us.

Abortion is, for me, the sympton of many problems in our society: poverty, misogyny, violence against women and children... and it has to be treated as a sympton, if we don't solve all the problems behind the abortion issue, we will never get a better solution.

some weeks ago I saw on tv a documentary about pregnant teenagers in Bogotá. Many of the girls came from poor families, some of them were running away from violence in the country and stablished in the city without their parents and without any chance to study or work. Abortion would be the solution? I guess not.

In my personal case, I think that freedom should come along with responsability. I think it is easier to buy a condom or take a pill instead of getting an abortion (or keeping the baby) , but I know that it doesn't apply to everyone.

Last edited:
I am unapologetically pro-choice. Whether abortion is legal or not, there are women who are going to end their pregnancies, and I prefer that they do it under safe and legal conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom