What is your opinion on capital punishment? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2004, 08:10 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:47 PM
What is your opinion on capital punishment?

If we're doing one on abortion, we can do one on capital punishment.

I am totally 100% against it. There is a great quote from Ghandi: "An eye for an eye will leave the world blind." Murder is wrong, and murder is murder is murder. The government can't just say, 'murder is wrong and you're a murderer', and then turn around and murder you. It's totally hypocritical. I cringe whenever I hear people say "well so-and-so deserves to die." Bullshit. No one, I repeat, NO ONE, deserves to die. I believe that everyone is born good and clean. If one is driven to commit a crime that results in the death of others, then either they are screwed up psychologically, or they have cultural biases that were harbored by a less-than-suitable growing up environment. Fine, so put the person behind bars for life and continue to work to improve society so that less people are driven to murder. Capital punishment DOES NOT work. It doesn't deter anyone. It just kills people who would be better punished living in a cell and eating stale food for the remainder of their lives.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Completely, absolutely, 100% AGAINST. This is one of the issues on which there is no doubt in my mind, and there are not many of those. Now I'm going to bed and might not be able to argue with anyone on that for a while...

Old 10-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #3
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

I think it should only be considered when there is no doubt whatsoever that the person commited the crime, ie caught on video or DNA evidence.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:48 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I am against it. Like the vein with abortion...I did not create life, so what right do I have to destroy it.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:07 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

100% against. I would be a hypocrite if I opposed abortion and advocated capital punishment.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:11 PM   #6
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

A Biblical perspective for Christians who think capital punishment is wrong
Old 10-13-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Do you think the laws in the United States should be based on the Bible?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:09 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:47 AM
I'm not so sure. Some people do such evil, horrible things and have no remorse for what they did. For them to simply spend the rest of their lives in prison and my tax money going to their upkeeping doesn't seem enough.

But at the same time, I believe I have no place to be so judgemental and impose such a harsh, definite sentence to someone. Its hard to look past what a person did, but you have to realize what made them commit such acts. Like namckuR said, there maybe something psychologically wrong with them or their environment influenced them. Its just the fact that some murderers have no remorse or shame or guilt over what they did that makes me think the death penalty can be a necessary option.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:47 PM
i am against capital punishment, unless we are 100% sure the person is guilty, without employing lawyers or expert witnessess or anything (though this would violate the constitution). before captial punishment, however, we have to hope that this person has the capacity to change, and as unreliable or touchy-feely as this idea sounds, the person on death row is still a human being and should be treated with respect granted to all people
Old 10-13-2004, 10:19 PM   #10
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:47 AM
it should never be used. very barbaric... we should progress as a society, not go back to immoral ancient practices. (even if there is 100% proof that the person committed the crime)
Old 10-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

I much prefer the jail option. Besides for those who say they don't want their tax money used to house criminals -- more tax money is used to put them to death, since so many appeals must be exhausted prior to killing them. Of course, that must be done, because what if that person isn't guilty? And considering how many people on death rows have been let out because of irrefutable evidence that they were not guilty, I don't see how the death penalty can be justified.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:16 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
originally posted by indra
Besides for those who say they don't want their tax money used to house criminals -- more tax money is used to put them to death, since so many appeals must be exhausted prior to killing them.
I'm not saying I don't want my taxes to house criminals. The fact that some criminals could care less for what they did, and are spending the rest of their lives in prison just hanging around doesn't seem like a good enough punishment, and I don't like my taxes supporting that. If there were a more significant punishment done to such criminals, I would support my taxes being used for that, and probably wouldn't think the death penalty would be an option.

And as for criminals hanging around while in prison, that can happen. I've read stories of prisoners who got to play sports, work-out in the gym, see a movie each week, and so forth. I don't think that is right for some serial killer to have such privileges while serving their sentence. I know and agree that they deserve some rights like other people. But how is that proper punishment for someone who committed vicious crimes?
Old 10-13-2004, 11:35 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Do you think the laws in the United States should be based on the Bible?

A lot of them do have a Judeo-Christian background....
Old 10-13-2004, 11:40 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Pearl

I'm not saying I don't want my taxes to house criminals. The fact that some criminals could care less for what they did, and are spending the rest of their lives in prison just hanging around doesn't seem like a good enough punishment, and I don't like my taxes supporting that. If there were a more significant punishment done to such criminals, I would support my taxes being used for that, and probably wouldn't think the death penalty would be an option.

And as for criminals hanging around while in prison, that can happen. I've read stories of prisoners who got to play sports, work-out in the gym, see a movie each week, and so forth. I don't think that is right for some serial killer to have such privileges while serving their sentence. I know and agree that they deserve some rights like other people. But how is that proper punishment for someone who committed vicious crimes?
Perhaps we should let Lyndie Englund at 'em! That will teach 'em!

But really, what would be "just" punishment? Cattle prod to the testicles? The problem is, reasonable, non-sadistic people can't hurt truly vicious people without losing their own humanity. Allowing a person convicted of horrible crimes to have certain minor privileges simply means the rest of society has not become just as brutal.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:48 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

A lot of them do have a Judeo-Christian background....
Is this true?

Or just a load of often repeated crap?