What is your opinion on abortion? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 10-13-2004, 12:03 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:52 AM
What is your opinion on abortion?

I know this is a pretty big issue, but I want to know your opinions on it. Do you think it's right or wrong?

Old 10-13-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 07:52 AM
Well, I guess it's been about 6 months since we last hashed this out...

Let me remind everyone to try to be civil, no personal attacks

I believe abortion is wrong, period.

bonosloveslave [at] interference.com
Old 10-13-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
The Fly
Local Time: 04:52 AM
against it.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:52 AM
I believe it's killing, and no one should have the 'choice' to kill. (risks temptation to rant)
Old 10-13-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
love, blood, life
Local Time: 04:52 AM
im against abortion
except when

incest are involved.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
i think it is an incredibly complicated topic.

on the one hand, considering issues of mother's health, rape, incest, and other such unfortunate incidences...abortion should be an acceptable medical alternative to a 9 month pregnancy and birth. however, i think there should definitely be some sort of time window for the abortion. first trimester or something like that? i don't know enough about the biological aspects to give a solid suggestion there.

on the other hand, i absolutely do not think abortion should be used as a catch-all for people who are too irresponsible to use proper contraceptives during sexual activity. if you are responsible enough to be having sex you are responsible enough to accept the possible results. i think condoms should no longer be taboo and that "day after" pills should be readily available in drug stores in the incident of contraceptive failure.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:31 PM   #7
War Child
Its murder plain and simple.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:40 PM   #8
Local Time: 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Se7en
if you are responsible enough to be having sex you are responsible enough to accept the possible results.
I agree, but I also think that an abortion IS a "possible result". I can understand the reasoning behind anti-abortion stances, but I don't understand why people seem to think of a pregnancy as punishment for having irresponsible sex.

Either a fetus's life is too important to abort or not. Whether the mother is "irresponsible" or not really shouldn't be a factor in the equation.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:45 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor
I feel that abortion is wrong in using it has a form of birth control. I am only for it on life of the mother, rape or incest.
Into the heart of a child...
Old 10-13-2004, 12:50 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
I think it's wrong, period. Abortion should only be legal in cases of rape, incest, or when the baby's life is already in danger and a Dr. should sign off on the final decision. That doesn't mean I think it's justified in these situations (religiously speaking). Partial birth/late term abortions are just evil, period.

Everyone deserves the same basic rights and the right of a woman to chose does not exceed the right of an innocent child to live.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:50 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
I'm opposed to it in principle. It's wrong. That being said I do not favor laws to make it illegal. That would only drive it underground. I used to be avidly "pro-choice" and I've still got a little of that in me. Perhaps I'm not consistent.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:06 PM   #12
Local Time: 12:52 PM
I'm completely for it. It's up to the woman (and man) involved to make that decision for themselves. Almost everyone I know has had to make that decision at one point in their lives or another. I also don't understand why people think it's okay to kill doctors for performing abortion.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:52 AM
Kudos to MissMoo for being willing to swim upstream in this thread.

Please keep your sense of independence - it will make you a happier person.

Judge not, yet ye be judged. (That's from the Bible too).
Old 10-13-2004, 01:16 PM   #14
New Yorker
I don't believe in abortion based on my religious beliefs but I don't believe my beliefs should be forced on others by the government. So I'm pro-life but pro-choice politically and I don't think that's a contradiction.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:16 PM   #15
New Yorker
First of all I think that people's opinions get very heated when we are talking about music and U2 and then we ask this question. I don't think it is about right and wrong. I think it is about of what you can and can't do to your own body. I don't think it is anyone's right to be able to say you can or can't do this to yourself. No one can stop the corner drug user from infusing his/her body with posions any more than someone should have the right to tell me I can or can't abort a child.

Remember it takes two to tango. Babies don't happen because of one person but only one person has to suffer the consequences.

I don't believe abortion should be used as a form of birth control that is the only aspect I agree with.

What happens when the unwanted child is abused or in a foster home because they were never wanted to begin with. What kind of life it that for a child to grow up knowing?

Yes with sex comes responsibilites but only one person deals with those responsibilities. The man walks away.

Again for all of you who are reading this appalled by what I say, understand for me it is the fact over someone telling me what I can or can't do with my own body.