What is your opinion on abortion? - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #166
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 01:15 AM
I thought a soul lasted longer than our mortal bodies anyway, kinda making that point moot?
__________________

__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 08:13 PM   #167
War Child
 
xtal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: US
Posts: 834
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Wow, I read in a book when someone asked Bono, Bono said, "I think it's a woman's choice, definitely."

I am the predicament of a 'surprise' pregnancy myself, and never was I judgmental on the abortion issue. I do not know how I feel on the subject, and even being pregnant right now does not make me any smarter on the subject.
I didn't do this by myself, and I wasn't being 'irresponsible' with my ex-boyfriend and nor am I looking at abortion 'as an easy way out'.
This is my whole life at stake here, and I hate my already made life. My mom had me at 17 and, whew, was it a hard life! I sometimes wish abortion was available to her back then!!!
I'm 26, unwed, uneducated, and I know I'm not going to make a good mother. I'm going to have to live with my uncle, scrape by on my wages, and what about the father? The father has turned his back on me, refusing to accept responsibility.
I am still in the midst of making a decision, and trust me, it's not a sort of decision to make in one day, or one week.
But I'm glad that law isn't in the way.
__________________

__________________
xtal is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 08:41 PM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,861
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissMoo
Shart does that mean that masturbation is killing children? Those are babies as well? What about menstruation? Those are dead children as well. The point is that people who are for abortion do not see what they are aborting as children, but as potential children. Your belief that a soul/life begins with the sperm and egg attaching to each other is not a scientifically proven fact, it is a belief. No one is for killing children. The difference in opinion is when a fetus becomes a child.
That's a bogus argument that people have brought up with me a million times. A sperm isn't alive and neither is an egg. A fertilized egg is a growing person at its earliest stage. A sperm is nothing but a sperm and an egg is just an egg, but a baby is way more than just a sperm and an egg.

And no, alot of people who are for abortion see them as living babies, not just potential children. Their excuse isn't that they're not alive but just that it's their choice just because it's in their womb, which I think is an ignorant argument.
__________________
shart1780 is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #169
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 12:15 AM
Sperm have a lot of mitochondria in their basal head which produce ATP, they are living cells they are alive.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 08:50 PM   #170
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by xtal
Wow, I read in a book when someone asked Bono, Bono said, "I think it's a woman's choice, definitely."

I am the predicament of a 'surprise' pregnancy myself, and never was I judgmental on the abortion issue. I do not know how I feel on the subject, and even being pregnant right now does not make me any smarter on the subject.
I didn't do this by myself, and I wasn't being 'irresponsible' with my ex-boyfriend and nor am I looking at abortion 'as an easy way out'.
This is my whole life at stake here, and I hate my already made life. My mom had me at 17 and, whew, was it a hard life! I sometimes wish abortion was available to her back then!!!
I'm 26, unwed, uneducated, and I know I'm not going to make a good mother. I'm going to have to live with my uncle, scrape by on my wages, and what about the father? The father has turned his back on me, refusing to accept responsibility.
I am still in the midst of making a decision, and trust me, it's not a sort of decision to make in one day, or one week.
But I'm glad that law isn't in the way.
Well, you at least seem to be a thinking person, and that's a big step. Whatever you decide, don't let anyone tell you you're wrong. ONLY you know what you face, and ONLY you can make the right decision. I wish you well.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 09:23 PM   #171
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator
 
bonosloveslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Taking care of kitties
Posts: 9,655
Local Time: 09:15 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you xtal, this must be a very heavy load to bear

__________________
bonosloveslave [at] interference.com
bonosloveslave is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 09:40 PM   #172
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780


You know what I mean dude...

And if you believe that abortions are fine then tell me why. Tell me why you believe that either the baby isn't a human, or why you believe that the fact that it's in its mother's WOMB makes it fine for her to kill it. Tell me WHY you believe these things. Don't just tell me you believe it because you feel that way, because that's completely baseless.

Well, well, well...you can type the word womb! I find it interesting that you want to require women to have the baby, but you seem too squeamish to even type the words womb or uterus. I find that pretty funny.

You really think you know it all, don't you? I believe abortion must remain a legal choice because I know I don't know everything. I don't know what preceisely each and every pregnant woman is dealing with, physically, emotionally, whatever. How in the world can I possibly tell her she MUST continue her pregnancy if it will be destructive in whatever way?

I realize I will seem like a truly horrid person to you for what I write now, but it doesn't really matter to me whether or not the fetus is a human or not. I believe abortion must remain a legal option because a pregnancy has a profound effect on each and every woman, and a different profound effect on each and every woman...one that NO ONE else can ever truly understand. You can try to compare being pregnant to anything else, but it doesn't work.

I realize, shart, that it won't make any sense to you, but it does to me. And I trust myself far more than I trust you.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 09:58 PM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,861
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra



Well, well, well...you can type the word womb! I find it interesting that you want to require women to have the baby, but you seem too squeamish to even type the words womb or uterus. I find that pretty funny.

You really think you know it all, don't you? I believe abortion must remain a legal choice because I know I don't know everything. I don't know what preceisely each and every pregnant woman is dealing with, physically, emotionally, whatever. How in the world can I possibly tell her she MUST continue her pregnancy if it will be destructive in whatever way?

I realize I will seem like a truly horrid person to you for what I write now, but it doesn't really matter to me whether or not the fetus is a human or not. I believe abortion must remain a legal option because a pregnancy has a profound effect on each and every woman, and a different profound effect on each and every woman...one that NO ONE else can ever truly understand. You can try to compare being pregnant to anything else, but it doesn't work.

I realize, shart, that it won't make any sense to you, but it does to me. And I trust myself far more than I trust you.
Well, I honestly think I know how it feels to consider keeping an unplanned child more than almost everyone in here. Don't think it only affects the mother.
__________________
shart1780 is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 10:19 PM   #174
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 01:15 AM
Shart please stop with these ridiculous and unfounded generalisations. Seriously mate, you dont have a damn clue what anyone in here has been through. You might know your own situation well, and I assume you do anyway, but you cannot compare yourself to the number of others who post in here when you dont even know our real names let alone our stories.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 11:10 PM   #175
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780


Well, I honestly think I know how it feels to consider keeping an unplanned child more than almost everyone in here. Don't think it only affects the mother.
Then I suggest you don't get an abortion.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 11:21 PM   #176
Acrobat
 
thacraic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Georgia
Posts: 350
Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat


Sorry, I just don't see it.

I don't think people actually measure the value of a child's life against another's.

Implying that killing someone is playing God also implies that when someone dies, it is their time. Is that so?

On your not seeing it.... its cool.. we can agree to disagree.

On measuring the value... i see it as they are. Agree to disagree...

And on the last statement.... That is an excellent point because I do feel that when someone dies God has a reason for it. On the other hand when someone is murdered, there are laws against it, meaning its not right. So my choice of words "playing God" was a poor one maybe. Yet when someone kills another person it is their way of saying, ok now, your time is up. They are making that decision when they have no right to. If they had such a right, there would be no such thing as death row.

Take care,

Carrie (who is really regretting saying "playing God")
__________________
thacraic is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 11:50 PM   #177
Acrobat
 
thacraic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Georgia
Posts: 350
Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissMoo
Shart does that mean that masturbation is killing children? Those are babies as well? What about menstruation? Those are dead children as well. The point is that people who are for abortion do not see what they are aborting as children, but as potential children. Your belief that a soul/life begins with the sperm and egg attaching to each other is not a scientifically proven fact, it is a belief. No one is for killing children. The difference in opinion is when a fetus becomes a child.
Menstruation is the shedding of the uterine wall. The wall sheds because an egg has not attached itself to it, so no, menstrual cycles are not monthly miscarriages. Sperm, again no on that.

It is when an egg is fertilized by a sperm and attaches itself to the uterine wall that the life cycle of a human begins. I mean a plant's life begins when a seed planted in the ground is fertilized then germinates. When a seed falls to the ground it may have living cells in it but if its not fertilized it will never begin a life cycle.

It is a proven fact that the human life begins in the same way. Look at any diagram which maps out the human life cycle and you will see a sperm, egg, zygote, embryo, fetus... etc etc.

Science says life begins at conception, it's at which point that a child is considered "human" that, for whatever reason, seems to be in question.

Take care,

Carrie
__________________
thacraic is offline  
Old 10-16-2004, 11:55 PM   #178
Acrobat
 
thacraic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Georgia
Posts: 350
Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
My thoughts and prayers are with you xtal, this must be a very heavy load to bear

Well put, and I would like to second that and send much love to xtal.


Carrie
__________________
thacraic is offline  
Old 10-17-2004, 02:43 AM   #179
War Child
 
iacrobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 585
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thacraic



On your not seeing it.... its cool.. we can agree to disagree.

On measuring the value... i see it as they are. Agree to disagree...

And on the last statement.... That is an excellent point because I do feel that when someone dies God has a reason for it. On the other hand when someone is murdered, there are laws against it, meaning its not right. So my choice of words "playing God" was a poor one maybe. Yet when someone kills another person it is their way of saying, ok now, your time is up. They are making that decision when they have no right to. If they had such a right, there would be no such thing as death row.

Take care,

Carrie (who is really regretting saying "playing God")
Cool.

On the last point, I could never believe that God has reason for people's death. There is just too much injustice in the world.

Shart,

I said I don't like abortion but believe that women should be able to choose because I am not sure that it is murder. There are also a shitload of people who don't think it is, so that has to be considered as well.


xtal
__________________
iacrobat is offline  
Old 10-17-2004, 04:26 AM   #180
War Child
 
xtal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: US
Posts: 834
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra


Well, you at least seem to be a thinking person, and that's a big step. Whatever you decide, don't let anyone tell you you're wrong. ONLY you know what you face, and ONLY you can make the right decision. I wish you well.

Thank you, I seem to be a thinking person only because I am constantly thinking!
I have confided in a lot of friends, they do not tell me what to do, nor they do not persuade me to go on one idea. I am thankful for understanding friends and their support. I don't need people telling me what I cannot do and what I can do. I don't want people to try and make my decision for me, that's a thing I know for sure. I went out with my friends tonight for a birthday party and I know I hate being pregnant already. It's so lonely being pregnant and not having a partner. I never felt alone before.
It's scary being in my place. I wouldn't mind if I was married, but I am not. And everywhere I look, I see places with people that can judge, and even if they are not the Almighty Judge, they still take the duty upon themselves. That's what scares me the most.
__________________

__________________
xtal is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com