What is your earliest memory of yourself? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 11-07-2001, 04:16 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 06:43 PM
What is your earliest memory of yourself?

I'm curious about how far people can remember into their past and what their earliest recollections of themselves are. My oldest memory is, when I was two years old, my Mum took me to the church to be baptized. My family isn't religious at all, but my grandmother was a -very- devoted Russian Orthodox believer, so she insisted that I and all my siblings should be baptized.

Anyway, I remember it all very clearly. I wore a dark-green woolen dress with a white satin collar. The church was really dark, with low ceiling and a lot of people crammed into the confined space, most with the small children like me. I remember how the priest dipped me into the big bowl with holy water, all the while murmuring something under his breath, while I was busy screaming my head off with shock, My Mum thinks it's very strange that I can remember myself so early...

Old 11-07-2001, 08:44 AM   #2
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 02:43 PM
I remember when I was 2 years old. That means my older sister Julie was 5, so she was school age. Every morning when she'd leave, I would stand at the door and watch her through the door window as she walked down the street, screaming and crying because I didn't want her to leave me. I either wanted her to stay, or I wanted to go to school too. I remember how much I couldn't wait to go to school...

Here I am...17 years later...in college...and all I wanna do is get OUT of school...*lol* *sigh*

"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Old 11-07-2001, 08:51 AM   #3
The Fly
Local Time: 07:43 PM
I remember only one thing from my early childhood - I was nearly 2 years old and was visiting my parents' friends house. It's strange that being that young I remebered so many details, like what the glass table in living room looked like, what was the colour of woman's dress and how she breast-fed her new-born baby. It's probably because I fell off the stairs for a first time there (I remember that it was covered with a green carpet and had no protection-rails) and it was a big schock for such a young kid I was at the time...

btw - my mom always says that during that fall I probably hit some point in the brain responsible for addictions which caused me to be a U2 fanatic...
Old 11-07-2001, 09:23 AM   #4
love, blood, life
Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
swinging.........in the dark.........near an isolated army air-raid shelter that was in the Second War.....and it was an eerie atmosphere.......................

Old 11-07-2001, 09:56 AM   #5
War Child
That must be that i was digging holes that kept collapsing in a heap of gravel during a summer holiday in Austria when I was 2 years old.

Don't know why I remember this, there are no pictures of it, it's not the most exciting thing in the world (though I must have found it very exciting then), but it's my first memory of myself

Also, how far can people remember. It's proven that you can remember things back till you were about 2, not really earlier. All things you remember of what happened before that, you don't actually remember, but you think you remember it, but you only know it because someone told you so, you saw films/photos of it or you just made it up yourself and started believing in your own fantasies.

Vorsprung durch Technik

[This message has been edited by Vorsprung (edited 11-07-2001).]
Old 11-07-2001, 11:14 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Location: maze of your imagination, where the streets have no name, lol
Local Time: 04:43 AM
One of my first memories is when I was about 3 and the boy who lived next door broke my yellow teapot...it was a huuuge yellow teapot with little toy people inside. I also remember being at nursery school and drinking the milk from tiny glass bottles and I rememebr when we moved house and knneling on the floor with my cereal bowl on the sofa and I was eating it.

All these things happened at roughly the same time but they were my earliest memories :-)
Old 11-07-2001, 07:24 PM   #7
The Fly
Local Time: 01:43 PM
I don't know how old I was, but my earliest memory is of waking up in the middle of the night because there was a bullfrog in my crib. I'm still convinced that there really was one bc my memory of it is so vivid. Needless to say I'm not a big fan of frogs.

My other early memories have more to do with colors than anything else. Like bright pink and blue tissue paper in my easter basket.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:33 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:43 PM
It is till the source of one of my worst phobias today.

When I was about 3 years old, I was in the nursery while my parents were in the worship service at church. Well, 2 girls from the youth department came down dressed up as clowns - costumes, make-up, and all. I ran screaming under the farthest kiddie table in the room and continued screaming until the monsters left. I still remember it vividly, and I still despise clowns passionately.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:52 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:43 AM
My earliest memory is when I fell on the kitchen floor and busted my chin wide open. I think I was about 3. That seems to be the magic number for remembering childhood experiences!

So I remember the car ride to the hospital and my mom sitting with me in the back seat holding my chin with papertowles. I also remember them putting that cover over me preparing to stitch up my chin. And when it was done they gave me a pineapple dum dum.

Zooming In
Zooming Out
Nothing I Can't Do Without

All About Sicy
Old 11-07-2001, 08:59 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:43 PM
I opened a dumdum the other day thinking it was pineapple as the color and label were the same; it was a new flavor, "Buttered Popcorn," which is sickening for a lollipop.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:34 PM   #11
I reached into the toilet and grabbed the piece of chocolate floating aroung in there and ate it.

Old 11-08-2001, 12:20 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:43 AM
You know how lizards often get squished on the hinges of your door? I put my fingers there once during a party and someone opened the door really wide. My mother cried cos she thought I lost my digits altogether.

Old 11-08-2001, 04:31 AM   #13
Jesus Online
Local Time: 05:43 AM
My earliest memory was when I was about 2, we lived next door to the most feral mother on the planet. I was standing at the gate at the end of the driveway, this little girl of about 5 was on hers and threw rocks at me. I ran inside to dob and mum called the police cos it was about the 50th time mum could remember this little girl being left alone while her mother was down the local RSL getting pissed and playing the cardies. I only know the last bit because of the police car and mum filling me in on what happened years later when I mentioned it, she was amazed too. Needless to say, it was the last time we ever saw the little girl.

Another memory from about the same time, same house, my sister locked me in a cupboard telling me I was her baby now and I had to have my bottle which was a bottle of floor cleaner. Gosh I love my sis
Old 11-08-2001, 10:26 AM   #14
New Yorker
Local Time: 01:43 PM
when I was 2, sitting on the kitchen floor watching my mom-- who was pregnant with my sister-- do chores around the house. I think I was trying to be cute at the time by wearing a pot on my head.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:33 AM   #15
I don't recall exactly how old I was, but I remember swimming. And I wasn't alone...there were many, many with me. I think they were relatives, but I haven't seen them since. I seem to remember we all had a common goal in mind; sort of a race.