What is wrong with some people?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
INDY500 said:
Who are we to say what is appropriate or not appropriate behavior?

While I know you're being sarcastic, it was ultimately this logic as to why I abandoned postmodernism and cultural relativism. This kind of behavior, ultimately, is wrong both on a religious moral level, but, more importantly, also on a philosophical secular humanist level. Such condemnation is not arbitrary and without basis.

The Left has been wrong not to defend its values more vehemently.

INDY500 said:

Maybe this man was raised in a culture that celebrates public masturbation.
Maybe he has a yet undiagnosed syndrome or disorder freeing him of responsibility for his actions.
Maybe this is "protected free speech" about the sexual repression of the Catholic Church.
Maybe he is a celebrated semen artist that crafts on tray tables rather than canvas.

Anyway, how do we really know this happened? That it was really him? How can you ever be 100% sure? Best to let him go rather than risk jailing an innocent man I say.

Such judgmentalism and lack of tolerance in FYM.
Frankly I'm disappointed.

I nominate this for worst post of the thread. And that's saying something.

And I know you're being sarcastic.

One wonders what would possess an individual to do something like this.

Look no further than the self-gratification postings in this thread.

I'd like to say if it were me that I'd have kicked the guy square in the balls with one of my heeled boots, but I can only imagine the shock and trauma one would go through in the moment.

INDY500 said:

Maybe he has a yet undiagnosed syndrome or disorder freeing him of responsibility for his actions.
Maybe this is "protected free speech" about the sexual repression of the Catholic Church.
Maybe he is a celebrated semen artist that crafts on tray tables rather than canvas.
Maybe this man was Bill Clinton.

Lawsuit dismissed.

vaz02 said:
Im not finding it funny, you think because im male im finding it funny. That is sexist.
If you have seen my posts you will find that such acts disgust me and to say im taking things as a joke are offending and insultive.

Spot on.

Martha's modus operandi on here is to twist people's words to make it look like they're saying something they aren't.

You're not the only one to be on the receiving end of her particular brand of sexism - unfortunately, it's a fairly regular occurence for her to throw sexist abuse at male posters, to misattribute their motives, and to falsely accuse them of sexism - and, in this particular thread - even worse - for her to falsely accuse other posters of not caring about sexual assault.

INDY500 said:

Anyway, how do we really know this happened? That it was really him? How can you ever be 100% sure? Best to let him go rather than risk jailing an innocent man I say.

Such judgmentalism and lack of tolerance in FYM.
Frankly I'm disappointed.

[EDIT]
financeguy said:

Spot on.

Martha's modus operandi on here is to twist people's words to make it look like they're saying something they aren't.

You're not the only one to be on the receiving end of her particular brand of sexism - unfortunately, it's a fairly regular occurence for her to throw sexist abuse at male posters, to misattribute their motives, and to falsely accuse them of sexism - and, in this particular thread - even worse - for her to falsely accuse other posters of not caring about sexual assault.
[/EDIT]

not_this_shit_again.jpg

melon said:
I think the problem is that many men have an absolutely inappropriate response to this question. Instead of being kinder to women, etc., it just devolves into homophobia. In other words, the question is taken far too literally.

I think that this is, to use an expression you used in relation to one of my posts recently :)wink:), real BS.

Madelyiris's intention was clearly to show an example, by way of encouraging men to be more emphathetic in this situation.

Now WTF has that got to do with homophobia?

phillyfan26 said:

I nominate this for worst post of the thread. And that's saying something.

And I know you're being sarcastic.

Actually, I suspect INDY500's intention was to satirise the excessively non-judgemental attitudes that we sometimes see on the left.

For example, around about the time a notorious (African-American) murderer and gang leader was about to be executed (I can't recall the name of this person, off the top of my head), I saw posts saying that the guy should be excused because, after all, he had a difficult background!

financeguy said:
I think that this is, to use an expression you used in relation to one of my posts recently :)wink:), real BS.

Madelyiris's intention was clearly to show an example, by way of encouraging men to be more emphathetic in this situation.

Now WTF has that got to do with homophobia?

If you read my immediate response to his post, you'd see that I agree completely that MadelynIris' intention is pure. And I also agree that empathy is very necessary.

My argument is that, for many other people, they have interpreted that plea incorrectly, and, instead of using that as a means to be sympathetic to the plight of women, etc., they just get homophobic. A lot of homophobic stereotypes are really misandric stereotypes, in general.

Last edited:
financeguy said:
Actually, I suspect INDY500's intention was to satirise the excessively non-judgemental attitudes that we sometimes see on the left.

That's precisely how I interpreted it, and I responded accordingly.

financeguy said:

Spot on.

You really need to get over yourself. Just for the record, I didn't look at his profile to find out if he was a guy till after I posted that.

I'm glad you thought his posts were appropriate enough for you to defend.

How come melon didn't get your rants about sexism and all the fucking shit you post rather than address the real issue. HE'S the one who posted about how inconsiderate men can be. What I did was call out someone on inappropriate jokes WITHOUT referencing the poster's sex. You're the one obsessed with sex/gender and your persecution due to it.

I notice you have nothing to say about the event being discussed.

martha said:
How come melon didn't get your rants about sexism and all the fucking shit you post rather than address the real issue. HE'S the one who posted about how inconsiderate men can be.

If you read CAREFULLY, you'd also note that in fact I disagreed with a post that Melon made.

martha said:
I notice you have nothing to say about the event being discussed.

I condemn it. Clearly, it's inappropriate behaviour.

martha said:
He gets a :wink: And I get a paranoid diatribe about what a sexist I am. :hyper:

The difference, probably, is that while I sometimes disagree with posts of Melon's, he reacts to any disagreements with his posts in a proportionate manner - whereas it seems that when I disagree with posts of yours, especially on your touch-button issues of gender and abortion - you often react in a quite disproportionate manner (and believe it or not, I am not the only poster to have noted this).

See Martha, if I disagree with a post of yours, it's 'cos I disagree with it, pure and simple.

It's rather a pity, as on most other issues you are intelligent and illuminating.

Last edited:
I think Vincent and joyfulgirl got it right...this man almost certainly has psychological problems that go way beyond any kind of socially inculcated sexist attitudes.

Other than that, this seems to be basically just another "ewww omg gross" shock-value story, and I really don't know that it's worth all the heat it seems to have generated in here. I certainly agree that it's not a funny story or an appropriate occasion for jokes though.

That may be, but for better and for worse FYM isn't an HBO comedy special.

martha said:

And vaz02's hilarious jokes about it?

Im glad you find the incident funny, would you like it if i pissed in your bottle ? because i can tell you now, the event i refered to in my previous post was not a joke nor was it stuff of fiction. A man discusses issues of sexual nature and a women once again see's this as a joke and brushes it to one side, its not your fault society in general is very much the same in response to female on male rape crimes and sexual assault cases.

Sorry if this seems an attack on you Martha, it isnt, this is just my point of view.

financeguy said:

The difference, probably, is that while I sometimes disagree with posts of Melon's, he reacts to any disagreements with his posts in a proportionate manner - whereas it seems that when I disagree with posts of yours, especially on your touch-button issues of gender and abortion - you often react in a quite disproportionate manner (and believe it or not, I am not the only poster to have noted this).

I think it's also fair to note that multiple posters here have noted that your posts suggest you have some kind of a hang up regarding perceived persecution of (white?) men, and women's equality issues in general. I've never called you a sexist, but there is most definitely a discernible trend in how you react to some topics.

Back
Top Bottom