What is wrong with people...!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
Dad threw 4 tots off bridge for revenge, police say

BAYOU LA BATRE, Alabama (AP) -- A day after reporting his four young children were missing, a shrimp fisherman broke down and confessed that he threw them off an 80-foot-high bridge to their deaths, authorities said Wednesday.

Lam Luong faces four counts of capital murder.

Lam Luong, 37, was charged with four counts of capital murder, and divers searched the murky waters for the bodies of the youngsters, who ranged in age from a few months to 3 years.

Luong had a drug habit and had argued with his wife, Ngoc Phan, before taking the children, said Phan's brother-in-law, Kam Phengsisomboun.

Luong's girlfriend, who was living in a hotel in nearby Gulfport, Mississippi, was a factor in the couple's argument on Sunday and Monday morning, family members and police said.

Authorities said they believe Luong then drove on Monday to the two-lane Dauphin Island bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway, stopped at the highest part of the span and threw the youngsters over the side.

Luong reported the children missing Monday, initially telling police that he had given the kids to his girlfriend, who was living in a hotel in Gulfport, Mississippi, and that she failed to return them.

But authorities said they found holes in his account, and he later changed his story.

Missing and presumed dead were 4-month-old Danny Luong; 1-year-old Lindsey Luong; 2-year-old Hannah Luong; and 3-year-old Ryan Phan. Phan is not the man's biological child, but Luong raised him from infancy, authorities said.

About 70 people in boats and helicopters searched water as deep as 55 feet. The search area covered 100 square miles because the current might have swept the children away, Sheriff Sam Cochran said.

The search was called off late Wednesday afternoon when dense fog rolled in, completely obscuring the bridge.

Luong was scheduled to appear in court Thursday. District Attorney John Tyson said he did not believe Luong had a lawyer. Watch Luong walk into jail in handcuffs »

Luong came to Alabama from Vietnam in 1984 and worked as a shrimper, Phengsisomboun said. The couple lived with Phan's mother at Bayou La Batre, a fishing village 20 miles southwest of Mobile with a large Southeast Asian community.

Phengsisomboun said the couple had recently moved back to the area from Hinesville, Georgia.

The family initially feared he had traded the children to support his drug habit, Phengsisomboun said. Luong had a crack habit and had run through an insurance settlement from an auto accident, he said. Authorities in Mobile confirmed Luong had a history of drug abuse but had no details.

He was arrested in October in Hinesville on a crack-possession charge. The case has not been acted on by a grand jury.

Phengsisomboun said he was later told by investigators that a witness had seen someone throw a bundle from the bridge and then saw three children in a nearby car.

Phan, 23, was in seclusion Wednesday morning at her mother's brick home, the front porch cluttered with children's shoes.

Some family members and friends held out hope that the children weren't dead.

"I just pray for the kids, that they are still alive," said Van Lam, a family friend who was at a market with Phan's mother Wednesday afternoon.

As a mother and human being.. what for god's sake would possess a person to throw their kids off a bridge? I know the obvious, mental issues but really now. This makes me sick to my stomach..

OMG, how unbelievablely horrendous to just throw away human life. Those poor children didn't ask to be born into those circumstances.

His actions are just pure evil. :sad:

That is absolutely horrible, and totally nuts. I fear this may have had a lot to do with it:

"Luong had a crack habit and had run through an insurance settlement from an auto accident, he said. Authorities in Mobile confirmed Luong had a history of drug abuse but had no details."

Those poor, scared little kids . . . . :sad:

MsPurrl said:
The whole world has gone mad, that's what. That is absolutely horrible, and totally nuts. I fear this may have had a lot to do with it:

"Luong had a crack habit and had run through an insurance settlement from an auto accident, he said. Authorities in Mobile confirmed Luong had a history of drug abuse but had no details."

Those poor, scared little kids . . . . :sad:

Crap, I just quoted myself instead of editing. :reject:

Crack doesn't make you do that. A crackhead would sell their own child into slavery for a bag of rocks, true, but not toss their kids over a bridge for shits & giggles. Let's not make excuses for this piece of crap.

Everyone is praying this is true: If you could have seen pictures of those kids, it would truly make you cry.. The Sheriff's flotilla and Mobile Police have called off the search because of dense fog last night and severe thunderstorm and tornado watches today.
http://www.nbc15online.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=9e0c86e5-3f12-4955-9d49-6dfe307b3659

Father accused of children's deaths changes his story - says kids are alive!
Reported by: Leeah Brennan

Last Update: 7:01 pm

(MOBILE, Ala) January 10 -- In court, there was no emotion. But in a recorded conversation with his new court-appointed attorney, Lam Luong breaks down. He says he loved his kids, and took good care of them. He says they're aren't dead. "The babies are still alive. That's the truth."

Luong's attorney, Joe Kulakowski, says his client was badgered into making a false confession. "When he was convinced nothing he was going to say would change their mind, just to stop them to make them happy, he said 'I killed my children.'"

Well-known Mobile Defense Lawyer Donald Briskman isn't working on the case, but he says it will work its way through the system. "The case may well rise and fall on whether or not that statement, or you may even want to call it a confession, was obtained under legal parameters."

Even in light of the tape and the change of the defendant's story, Mobile County District Attorney John Tyson Jr. says they aren't changing tactics. Luong will still face 4 capital murder charges. "We believe he killed the kids by tossing them off the bridge."

Court documents say Luong should be on suicide watch. The Sheriff's Department will not comment about what happens inside the jail. But it is clear they are taking extra precautions with Luong's safety. Thursday morning he was wearing a bullet proof vest to court.

Geez, I'm curious as to why there hasn't been an Amber Alert put out for these children. I live in this vicinity (within 40 miles) and all that is being said is they believe the witnesses who have placed the father with the kids and on the bridge on or around the time he confessed orginally.
Even so, wouldn't it make sense to at least put an alert out just in case he's lying about throwing the kids into the water.
No one (that we know of) has said they saw the actual act.
They continued searching today and brought in high tech sonar equipment from Virginia and a group of divers for blackwater diving, from New Orleans.
They will continue throughout the weekend and a number of volunteers are getting together to search the shoreline(s) tomorrow.
I just hope this isn't a bad sign that they have given up on the children being alive.

Possible I suppose that the confession was coerced, but you'd think he could clear it all up by telling somebody where they are, if they really are alive. While I hope it's true I'm not buying it.

MOBILE, Ala. - A duck hunter found a body Saturday of one of four children allegedly thrown from a coastal bridge by their father, raising hopes that the other bodies will be recovered, a sheriff said.

A search for the children - ranging in age from a few months to 3 years - began Tuesday near the mouth of Mobile Bay after prosecutors said the father, Lam Luong, confessed.

About 9 a.m. Saturday, a duck hunter found the body of an infant about five miles west of the bridge in a marshy area.

Mobile County Sheriff Sam Cochran said a chaplain informed the children's family of the discovery Saturday morning. Their mother, 23-year-old Kieu Phan, had gone with Luong to report them missing Monday evening.

Cochran said searchers using sonar technology saw images Friday that they believed were three bodies.

"Currents were so strong divers were unable to get to the location," Cochran said. Divers re-entered the water Saturday beneath blue skies.

Luong, 37, a shrimp boat worker, was being held without bond on four counts of capital murder. If convicted, he could be sentenced to death or life in prison without parole.

District Attorney John Tyson Jr. said Luong had confessed to throwing Ryan Phan, 3, Hannah Luong, 2, Lindsey Luong, 1, and Danny Luong, 4 months, off the three-mile-long bridge after an argument with his wife.

Luong later recanted, claiming two Asian women took the children and never returned them. But a witness saw Luong on the bridge with the children, and another saw him leave the area without the children, Cochran said Friday.

Luong's appointed attorney, Joe Kulakowski, was meeting with Luong on Saturday and not immediately available for comment.

:sad:

CTU2fan said:
Crack doesn't make you do that. A crackhead would sell their own child into slavery for a bag of rocks, true, but not toss their kids over a bridge for shits & giggles. Let's not make excuses for this piece of crap.

He could be severely mentally ill.

Oh My God, I was so praying he was just making it up.

Officials say body of youngest missing child found near Bayou La Batre

Last Update: 6:06 pm

Boats assist divers as local agencies join forces with the Coast Guard searching the waters north of Dauphin Island, Ala.on Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2008. Lam Luong claimed to have thrown his 4 children, ranging in age from four-months-old to three-years old from the Dauphin Island Bridge Monday morning. (AP Photo/Press-Register, G.M. Andrews) MOBILE, Ala. (AP) - Law enforcement officials say a body recovered five miles from where four missing children were allegedly thrown from the Dauphin Island bridge by their father is that of the youngest missing child, Danny Luong.

Authorities say about 9 o'clock Saturday morning, a duck hunter found the body while out hunting.

The father, Lam Luong, has been charged with capital murder in the deaths. A search of waterways around Dauphin Island for the children - ranging in age from a few months to 3 years - began last Tuesday.

Sheriff Sam Cochran says a duck hunter found the body of an infant about five miles west of the bridge in a marshy area called Point aux Pines, near Bayou La Batre, home of the Luong
family.

Last edited:
As part of this monster's punishment, there should be large, beautiful pictures of those children posted in his cell.

Body found of 2nd child believed thrown from bridge

MOBILE, Alabama (AP) -- A second body was recovered Sunday in the search for four children allegedly thrown from a coastal bridge by their father, police said.

The body was found by a search team near where a duck hunter found the body of an infant on Saturday, said Mobile County sheriff's Sgt. Jerry Taylor.

Both were found in a marshy area about five miles west of the bridge, Taylor said.

The search for the children -- ranging in age from a few months to 3 years -- began Tuesday near the mouth of Mobile Bay after prosecutors said the father, Lam Luong, confessed.

"The inevitable nightmare we have feared has now been confirmed," Mobile County Sheriff Sam Cochran said. "We believe, certainly now, that the father of these children threw these children off the Dauphin Island bridge."

Cochran said a police chaplain informed the children's family of the first discovery on Saturday morning. Their mother, 23-year-old Kieu Phan, had gone with Luong to report them missing Monday evening.

When told that her infant's body had been found, a grief-stricken Phan wept, comforted by an associate pastor at a Vietnamese congregation that includes some members of her family.

Through an interpreter, Phan asked, "Why didn't he kill me instead of the children? It's too much hurting."
Cochran said searchers using sonar technology saw images Friday that they believed were three bodies, but the currents were so strong the divers were unable to get to the location.

Divers re-entered the water Saturday and worked until darkness forced them out of the water without finding the other three bodies. The search resumed Sunday morning.

Authorities expanded the search zone westward toward Pascagoula, Mississippi, believing that the strong currents may have moved the bodies in that direction. Watch emotions run high during the search »

Luong, 37, a shrimp boat worker who lives in Irvington, was being held without bond on four counts of capital murder. If convicted, he could be sentenced to death or life in prison without parole.

District Attorney John Tyson Jr. said Luong had confessed to throwing Ryan Phan, 3, Hannah Luong, 2, Lindsey Luong, 1, and Danny Luong, 4 months, off the three-mile-long bridge after an argument with his wife.

Luong later recanted, claiming two Asian women took the children and never returned them.

But a witness saw Luong on the 80-foot-tall two-lane bridge with the children, and another saw him leave the area without the children, Cochran said Friday.

Luong's appointed attorney, Joe Kulakowski, met with Luong on Saturday and did not immediately return a phone message for comment.

Back
Top Bottom