What is the European Dream supposed to be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissMaCo

Rock n' Roll Doggie
We all know about the American Dream. The American Dream is to go from rags to riches, to reach wealth and success... blah blah blah. Right.

So I was wondering: what is the European Dream supposed to be?

(considering that there is a European Dream, thank you)

europeans dont have a common dream. maybe thats why we can never agree on anything.

That those ugly Americans would somehow fuck off and die. :)

Re: Re: What is the European Dream supposed to be?

Ormus said:

Peace, order, and good government?

that and a counter weight to America

They have been fairly successful in the peace department, in that there have not been any repeats of the WW1 and WW2, wars starting in Europe between European nations.

As for a counter weight to U S policies.

They have had some impact on the Mid-East (Israeli-Palestine conflict).

The E U economy still lags behind the U S, but is improving.

MissMaCo said:

So I was wondering: what is the European Dream supposed to be?

(considering that there is a European Dream, thank you)

I think the politicians are still wondering also.

indra said:

You are joking, right, Indra, I've been lucky enough to meet quite a few Americans in this country, & each and every 1 of them has left a favourable impression on me, I especially liked how optimistic, & cheerful each of the ones I met have been.

Re: Re: What is the European Dream supposed to be?

Ormus said:

Peace, order, and good government?

No, you dream of it, we have it :wink:

Well, that the next generation is better off than the own generation, that you are financially independent, successful in what you do, free and peacefully living with one another and so on isn't that unique to Americans.
Why should we dream of so much different things?

deep said:

that and a counter weight to America

They have been fairly successful in the peace department, in that there have not been any repeats of the WW1 and WW2, wars starting in Europe between European nations.

As for a counter weight to US policies.

They have had some impact on the Mid-East (Israeli-Palestine conflict).

The EU economy still lags behind the U S, but is improving.

Yes, but this is rather a political and economical goal than a dream.

If you asked a European I think this would be very much at the end of the list he would think of.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: What is the European Dream supposed to be?

deep said:

The E U economy still lags behind the U S, but is improving.

in most parts of europe, yes, but the u.s. economy is improving even faster, so its not likely that europe will catch up with america in the near future.

The European dream

----------------------------

To live life plague free

-----------------------------

indra said:

you'll find some generalised anti-american sentiment in france, but it's not what characterizes most europeans.

U2Man said:

you'll find some generalised anti-american sentiment in france, but it's not what characterizes most europeans.

Hey, why should Europeans be any different than us? I keep hoping the ugly and stupid Americans will fuck off and die. :wink:

There is no such thing as a European dream.

Somebody who is very poor and lives in the US South still loves America and feels American and thinks that the American dream is a possibility.

Somebody who is poor and lives in Eastern Europe doesn't really feel European, isn't treated particularly well by the rest of Europe and would by all estimations rather emigrate to North America than be mythical EU.

At least this is my experience. Not to say it is that way for everyone.

Basically I agree with Vincent. The 'American Dream' (a phrase which dates only to the early 20th century, and frankly isn't used that much here anymore) isn't meant to be a vision of what the country itself should 'stand for', much less what role we should play in international affairs--it's more an *ideal* about what kinds of life opportunities the 'average American' (and in particular the immigrant) can expect to have; that you don't need to be 'Old Money', or descended from upper-class stock, to achieve a comfortable middle-class standard of living. The inevitable accuracy issues, qualifications and contradictions aside, this was a very appealing thought to the (mostly very poor) millions of people who emigrated here from Ireland, Italy, Poland etc. during that time, convinced they could never expect the kinds of opportunities for socioeconomic advancement there which they could here.

Last edited:
I was at a U2 concert last November and Bono told me: "it's not just an American dream, also an Irish dream, also an Asian dream, also. . . . .an African dream." :wink:

Back
Top Bottom