What is the Difference Between a Republican and a Democrat? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2003, 11:19 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 AM
What is the Difference Between a Republican and a Democrat?

Answer: A returned phone call

From Newsweek

Quote:
Last January, at a conference in Switzerland, he happened to chat with two prominent Republicans, Colorado Gov. Bill Owens and Marc Holtzman, now president of the University of Denver. “I would have been a Republican,” Clark told them, “if Karl Rove had returned my phone calls.” Soon thereafter, in fact, Clark quit his day job and began seriously planning to enter the presidential race—as a Democrat. Messaging NEWSWEEK by BlackBerry, Clark late last week insisted the remark was a “humorous tweak.” The two others said it was anything but. “He went into detail about his grievances,” Holtzman said. “Clark wasn’t joking. We were really shocked.”

Old 09-22-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:44 PM
And the fact that he is pro-choice, pro-gun control, anti-Bush tax cut, pro-affirmative action, etc, etc.... You know, those sort of little issues.

Old 09-22-2003, 12:33 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

You can't define the party by a simple checklist of soundbite issues. In the grand scheme of things, this highlights how little difference there is between the two parties.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:41 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I know what you mean. And since Clark is a moderate, it does make sense that he blurs the line a little bit. In fact the starters of the Draft Clark movement were a Republican and a Democrat.

Old 09-22-2003, 01:08 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:44 AM
there is no difference. republican jumped all over the arnold schwarzenegger bandwaggon when he announced he was running for office, just because he had that (R) in front of his name. fact is, arnold is so in the middle that he's not really reflective of either party. and the same thing goes for Wesley Clark. democrats are jumping for joy that clark entered the election, when fact is the guy would have joined the republican party of karl rove had "picked up the phone," in which case democrats would hate him, even though he'd be the same exact person. but he's got that (D) in front of his name, so now he's the best choice out there.

the point? ideology has such a grip on politics in this nation that no one thinks for themselves anymore.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:31 PM   #6
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:44 AM
^^^

Word to yer mother, Headache. Amen! I tried to start a thead about that very idea, the way we put our beliefs in a box, but wasn't much interest.

Anyway, cheers,

SD
Old 09-22-2003, 01:39 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I agree. It's particularly hard to tell the difference between a moderate Democrat and a moderate Republican. The line is so blurred in Alabama politics you can just forget it.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

i just really hope that people in this nation wake the hell up. support something not because your party supports it.... support something because you believe in it. if you support our action in iraq? fine... but why? because it's a republican idea? if you're against action in iraq? fine... but why? because it's anti-republican? question everything... make up your own damn mind. don't let some voice make it for you, no matter what party you affiliate yourself with. argh i'm gettin' annoyed.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:12 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Ralph Nader once said in a speech that the only difference between Democrats and Republicans is that they take their marching orders from different corporations.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:22 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

yeah... and most green party members are anti-republican... democrats without the title. we don't need more parties in this nation... we need less, or rather none. just let the people vote for a person based on his merits, not on wether he's a democrat, republican, or "other."
Old 09-22-2003, 02:51 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Politicians are politicians...very few can be trusted, and I'm very aware of that. I vote Liberal not because I believe they will turn my country into the nation I've always invisioned...cos the truth is; no matter who is in power, there will always be problems (unless you're Sting who seems to view Bush as a god). The Liberal party just aligns itself more to my side on some issues.

I don't know if I even want to vote sometimes...but I guess that's the wrong attitude.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:04 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Candidates are too often sold as "issue sets" rather than leaders.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:20 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Basstrap,

"unless you're Sting who seems to view Bush as a god"

So if one supports certain policies of the Bush administration, then one deserves to be accused of viewing "Bush as a god"?

I actually have many policy differences with the Bush Administration. I'm pro-affirmative action, pro-gun control, and would like to see the Bush Tax Cut changed with only those with a Gross income of under 100,000 recieving a tax cut.

If McCain had been more successful in the Republican Primary against Bush in 2000 and the race continued to my state, I would have actively volunteered and worked for the McCain ticket in my area.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:32 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

The Republican Party would be better off, however, if it started hacking away at its extreme-right leadership. People like Tom DeLay (R-Texas) are reasons why I would be terribly weary of ever voting for a liberal or moderate Republican for Congress, merely because it would fuel their power. Sad to say, I'd almost be happier with *gasp* conservative Southern Democrats, just so I could get rid of the Republican leadership.

Would I support the demolition of political parties? At this point, yes.

Melon
Old 09-22-2003, 04:52 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I supported Clark before I knew if he would be running as a Democrat or Republican or even what office he was running for. It was believed that he was going to run as a Republican for Senate at one point. The fact is I view myself as independent, because I have voted for both parties depending on the person and their views. But I would say I am a liberal independent.