What is the Difference Between a Republican and a Democrat? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 09-22-2003, 03:56 PM   #16
New Yorker
Local Time: 09:34 AM
I supported Clark before I knew if he would be running as a Democrat or Republican or even what office he was running for. It was believed that he was going to run as a Republican for Senate at one point. The fact is I view myself as independent, because I have voted for both parties depending on the person and their views. But I would say I am a liberal independent.

For example, right now I would rather see McClintock than Arnold as the Republican candidate in California. He actually has plans and goals and ideas to help the budget and other areas. Arnold is a walking soundbite about "da people".

General Wesley Clark for President

Old 09-22-2003, 04:03 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
I *tend* to vote Democratic, but not always. I don't take a position on any issue because Democratic Big Shot X supports it. I take a position on something because it makes sense and it sounds like it will actually *work*.

Old 09-22-2003, 07:47 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 05:34 AM
the extreme's in this nation are growing farther and farther apart, while the middle ground is growing closer and closer together. the far left is JUST as nuts as the far right. ted kennedy is just as big a wacko... no "big" pun intended... as delay is. it's like tammany hall has been recreated in america, just on a massive scale. we have two huge political machine's, churning away, fueled by money, coroption and power. i mean, politics has always been about money, coroption and power... but at least in the past the two sides could sit down and work something out. now we have presidential debates with both candidates saying how the other is wrong, AND THEY'RE BOTH SAYING THE EXACT DAMN THINGS! In all the chaos that followed the 2000 election, people missed out on what the closeness of the results was really saying... we don't want EITHER of these assholes.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:57 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
Good points, headache. Do you suppose this has anything to do with so many people not voting? Nowadays we have slick, media-manipulative campaigns, short on substance. I vote, and will always vote, but I'm not liking some of the recent trends in our politics.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:04 PM   #20
New Yorker
Local Time: 05:34 AM
LOL--that's right Headache. I'm not a huge fan by any means, but I did get a chuckle out of how Michale Moore put it: the evil of two lessers.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:43 PM   #21
love, blood, life
Local Time: 07:04 AM
sorry sting
Old 09-22-2003, 11:02 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:34 AM
I'm sick and tired of voting for the lesser of two evils. I'm very much a liberal, but I'm sure i probably won't be too fond of whoever the Democratic nominee ends up being, but will probably end up voting for him anyways because I'll almost definately see him as the lesser evil in comparison to Bush, but I doubt that I'll feel very passionate about that candidate or think that he represents me well.

I agree with you 100% Headache about the reason for the closeness of the 2000 presidential campaign. I really despised both Bush and Gore, and it was sort of a relief that I didn't have to chose as I was not old enought to vote at the time.

For the most part the parties act pretty much the same behind closed doors, although they may say differently in public. The vast majority of politicians will do whatever the big business who give them campaign contributions and other favors want, regardless of the politics they supposedly stand for.