What is sin? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #46
The Male

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

Holy, to me, simply means that I accepted the work Jesus did for me on the cross, and I'm now looked at as perfect in his sight even though I still fuck up. It has nothing to do with any action on my part.
Preach it, sister.

So, does this mean "holy" has any meaning outside of religious context? Err...probably not. But does that matter? Why would an atheist care to become holy, when the whole point of becoming holy is to get closer to God?

Old 07-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Preach it, sister.

So, does this mean "holy" has any meaning outside of religious context? Err...probably not. But does that matter? Why would an atheist care to become holy, when the whole point of becoming holy is to get closer to God?
I edited my last post. That might make a bit more sense. I tried to define what holy might mean if we as Christians don't really understand it, and try and present it to the world. It's the post you quoted. Check it out if you can and let me know if it makes any more sense now m'dear.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #48
The Male

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

I edited my last post. That might make a bit more sense. I tried to define what holy might mean if we as Christians don't really understand it, and try and present it to the world. It's the post you quoted. Check it out if you can and let me know if it makes any more sense now m'dear.
Again, it all checks out well with me. Nothing confusing about it.

I don't expect anyone to believe the same way I do, and I'm just fine with that. Arguing won't solve anything, but the point of a Christian's life is to tell people what they believe and then leave it at that. It just makes me sad that some flip out over it.

So, to get this back on topic, I do indeed believe that "sin" is not relative. There has to be some template for it. IMO, it's unreasonable to think that some things are sin in some countries/nations and not sin in others. Then again, perhaps God doesn't judge citizens in those countries for their sins because they don't know any better...

It's really a fascinating topic.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Again, it all checks out well with me. Nothing confusing about it.

I don't expect anyone to believe the same way I do, and I'm just fine with that. Arguing won't solve anything, but the point of a Christian's life is to tell people what they believe and then leave it at that. It just makes me sad that some flip out over it.

So, to get this back on topic, I do indeed believe that "sin" is not relative. There has to be some template for it. IMO, it's unreasonable to think that some things are sin in some countries/nations and not sin in others. Then again, perhaps God doesn't judge citizens in those countries for their sins because they don't know any better...

It's really a fascinating topic.

That's good to hear! I pretty much agree with you too at least in this area.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sin as a religious concept never much resonated with me even when I believed. I never saw sins against god. I saw sins against humanity. That's what became my touchstone. I became a much better person when I stopped looking to god and started looking all around me.

I wanted to see humanity and all the extraordinary and good it is capable of elevated, with or without god in the equation.

deep summarized it well. Actually this is a pretty interesting thread (or continuation of one). A lot of these posts have made me think.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Sin as a religious concept never much resonated with me even when I believed. I never saw sins against god. I saw sins against humanity. That's what became my touchstone. I became a much better person when I stopped looking to god and started looking all around me.

I think I became a better person when I became more aware of the world around me and what role we play in it. I don't concern myself with "sin" or the afterlife much; it is what it is. Live, love, laugh, be a decent citizen and continue to get better as you get older. That's all I really ask for.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:24 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

And that is what I don't get with religious people. The notion that they have a monopoly on morality. That they are the only ones capable of feelings, forgiveness, and so on.
Ever read Kant? He gives some answers.

I'm sure you have interacted with other non-religious people, or read some posts on here from people like me, A_Wanderer or dazzlingamy. Did you ever get the feeling that we are blood thirsty, immoral creature seeing every person as a pile of flesh and bones?

As I said, morality is not a religious term that doesn't apply to atheists or agnostics, or people from other religions.

I value other people, as I value other creatures. I reject any killing for fun.

I don't think we are so much superior of animals. But on the other hand, animals usually don't kill for pleasure. Either they are hungry, or they are defending themselves.
I'm not a cat expert to know why they play with a mouse, but I think it's insulting to say a non-religious person like me would do the same thing, only because we don't believe that there is something in Heaven or whereever controlling and steering us. I don't need God for my set of morals.

I don't know what our purpose is, but when the useless flesh of my father's died one and a half months ago there was so much more that left than just that. There left loads of purpose. When people kill each other, they don't just take the life of another person.

I really don't get how you could imply we are viewing people just like atoms without a reason for being on earth.

Other cultures had other sets of principles and morals. And mind you, the reason the Mayans sacrificed people, like other cultures did, was to please their Gods. Am I to say whether this was moral or not? Today, it would be far from moral.

But then think about what the Catholic church did to people not applying to their set of principles. The Malleus Maleficarum, Giordano Bruno, Galileo Galilei, the crusades, the support of the Nazis (also done by the Lutherian Protestants) and so on. And all in the name of God.
It took centuries to be able to say that the earth isn't flat, that there doesn't need to be a higher being, or that we might not be the middle of the universe, without getting brutally tortured and killed by those oh so moral higher people.

Please reread that again, and if need be, I will clarify.
I think you missed my point entirely. I'm not saying you DON'T value life. I'm saying that without the beliefe that there is a higher cause, and that we don't have a soul, there really is no logical reason to believe that we as humans have meaningful feelings or lives. Without the igher cause there is no logical reason to believe so, so it seems to me like we'd all be fooling ourselves. Again, my point was NEVER that you don't value other people. I'm just asking what value do we truly have if we're just basically atoms moving about?

And I will never justify the travesties you listed that were done in te name of religion. While I am religious, I would never claim that ANY of those could be justified. I can guarantee you Jesus would never approve of those things.

And there's another point I'd like to bring up. Why would someone who doesn't believe in a higher power, or that we have souls, believe that we as humans have meaningful feelings? That is to say, why would it matter if I made my friend sad? Why would that be wrong? If I stole my friend's money it would logically just be the moving of some paper from one being to another. If I hurt my friend's feelings very badly why would it matter? What would make hurt "bad"? It seems to me that in a universe like this there would be absolutely no right and wrong, but only left and right (so to speak). There would be actions and reactions, but no real consequences beyond that.

Whenever I bring this point up I usually get the same response. Something like "but it's bad because it hurt my friend!!". So? That's my whole point. Why is hurting your friend bad in a material universe? Why is "hurt" bad? Why is pain bad? Why is complete chaos bad? Why is ANYTHING bad? There would be no bad. Like I said, just right or left. Actions and reactions.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:05 AM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Whenever I bring this point up I usually get the same response. Something like "but it's bad because it hurt my friend!!". So? That's my whole point. Why is hurting your friend bad in a material universe? Why is "hurt" bad? Why is pain bad? Why is complete chaos bad? Why is ANYTHING bad? There would be no bad. Like I said, just right or left. Actions and reactions.
This is very telling.

Do you honestly think it took God for you to understand pain is "bad"?

When a young child grows out of the selfish stage, and realizes the hurt they inflict on others when they don't share or they truly understand when they see someone they love cry, do you think they need a god or set of rules to understand that? It's amazing when you see a child understand that difference, I've seen it happen.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:17 AM   #54
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

shart, are you saying that friendships only make sense if we believe in a higher being? Or that caring about someone is only possible if we believe in God?

Because that's utter nonsense. If I hurt my friend, it's bad because I like that person and want to have them in my life. It has absolutely nothing to do with God-instilled morals. It's called being a nice person. To suggest, indirectly as you are, that Christians have cornered the market on manners and being good to those around them is patently absurd. One does not need God's influence in order to understand that hurting people is generally a bad thing.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:58 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Again, you're completely missing my point. I don't believe only Christians have these God-instilled morals. I think everyone has a basic sense of obvious right and wrong. I never said you have to be a Christian to understand the concept.

My point is that if there is no higher power and we have no souls there is no logical reason to believe there actually is right and wrong. If you disagree I'd like to hear a reason besides "because I don't want to hurt my friend" or something similar. You're also assuming that in a Godless universe there actually is such a thing as right and wrong, which in my mind makes no sense.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

This is very telling.

Do you honestly think it took God for you to understand pain is "bad"?

When a young child grows out of the selfish stage, and realizes the hurt they inflict on others when they don't share or they truly understand when they see someone they love cry, do you think they need a god or set of rules to understand that? It's amazing when you see a child understand that difference, I've seen it happen.
They don't need to understand God and they don't need to understand the basic standards of right and wrong I believe are ingrained in people's heads. I never said those who don't believe in God are inconsiderate animals, I'm saying that if there is no higher power, why wouldn't we be?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:06 AM   #57
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Again, you're completely missing my point. I don't believe only Christians have these God-instilled morals. I think everyone has a basic sense of obvious right and wrong. I never said you have to be a Christian to understand the concept.

My point is that if there is no higher power and we have no souls there is no logical reason to believe there actually is right and wrong. If you disagree I'd like to hear a reason besides "because I don't want to hurt my friend" or something similar.
And once again you are missing the point. No one is saying anything about a specific Christian God.

You haven't made any logical reason as to why someone who didn't believe in god, or at least your god can't have a sense of right and wrong. I gave you an example and asked you questions, can you answer them?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:10 AM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

They don't need to understand God and they don't need to understand the basic standards of right and wrong I believe are ingrained in people's heads. I never said those who don't believe in God are inconsiderate animals, I'm saying that if there is no higher power, why wouldn't we be?
No, that's not what you said.

So now you are saying these right and wrongs are "ingrained", do you realize you are contradicting yourself?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm saying there are basic concepts that are ingrained in us BECAUSE of God. I do think the reason we can recognize hurt in others and feel bad about it is because God has ingrained some basic standards into us. So to answer your question, yes I do believe we need God to understand that. Do we need to acknowledge that we need God to understand that? No.

Maybe I shouldn't say there would need to be a Christian God. I'll say any God. Any higher power that sets rules and programs us.

I think most of you are missing my point entirely. I'msaying that I believe there is a God, and I believe that he has prgrammed us to have a basic sense of how to treat others. Am I saying you need to believe in God to have these the basic sense? No. Because I think that whether you believe in God or not it will be there.

I'm also saying that if there is no higher power then there is no reason to believe that there is right and wrong. There is no reason to believe there is good and bad. It's all action and reaction. Am I saying those of you who don't believe in God are animals? No. But USING YOUR REASONG I'd like you to tell me WHY our lifes and feelings would matter in a completely material universe. I can see absolutely no logic in it.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Because we have consciousness and because we have self-consciousness. Because we can conceptualize. Because we can observe consequences and understand the connections between our actions and those consequences. Because we can recognize what is similar between us and others. Because we choose to matter.