What if (this view of)God is right? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14

How do you know "Christ's deity"? How do you know "crucifixion resurrection"?How do you know "slavation". How do you know that humans are innately sinners? Isn't it possible that we just.....do bad things sometimes. How do you know (your version of) God picks us up when we are down. How can any of this be known?
You're kind of asking questions that 80s' already answered and the debate is in danger of going in circles.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:44 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

God didn't create man, man created God.

There is no god.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:

How do you know "Christ's deity"? How do you know "crucifixion resurrection"?How do you know "slavation". How do you know that humans are innately sinners? Isn't it possible that we just.....do bad things sometimes. How do you know (your version of) God picks us up when we are down. How can any of this be known?
Lacking 100% percent proof, the best a man can do is trust his life to faith. I have sufficient reason as displayed many times in my life to have faith in Christ.

I have also seen it physically in 2 grand miracles in my own life, one of which I shall briefly describe:

3 or 4 years ago, the Holy Spirit/God/Christ saved my life by giving me a command, a command that came out of nowhere. I did not expect it and I did not actually want to obey, because it went contrary to everything human reasoning was tellling me. However, I did obey and was spared from what would have been a horrible accident.

That miracle is not what I base my faith upon, but it did provide a certain level of support and strength to my faith. If it had never happened, I would still have faith, if I were actually even still alive.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:46 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by God Part III
There is no god.
Well hello. Fundamentalist atheism I find no less dogmatic that fundamentalist belief. It rests on unprovable assumptions.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

You're kind of asking questions that 80s' already answered and the debate is in danger of going in circles.
How was 80sU2 already answered this? All he/she has said that answered his/her prayers during rough times and things like that. I haven't found factual evidence proving that this stuff actually is true.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:48 PM   #51
Refugee

Are only Christians going to heaven?

Are non-believers condemned to an eternity of burning in hell?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:49 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

But you're not going to get factual evidence! 80's belief is based partly on personal revelation (if I understand him correctly, and he can correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old 04-12-2005, 10:50 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I haven't found factual evidence proving that this stuff actually is true.
You probably asked questions you knew couldn't be answered, and in the absence of their inability to be answered, his ideas would, by default, be dismissed.

Faith, or the lack thereof, is all based on irrationality, and, by its nature, cannot be proven. Nothing any of us can say here can be proven outright.

Melon
Old 04-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

How was 80sU2 already answered this? All he/she has said that answered his/her prayers during rough times and things like that. I haven't found factual evidence proving that this stuff actually is true.
And you won't find 100 % evidence, as I said before. If that's what you require, then you might as well stop now. However, if you are willing to look beyond, if you start to believe that man's wisdom is like a single grain of sand on the beach at Ft. Lauderdale, then you will open up to the idea that maybe we can't find all the answers in our textbooks and universities.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:53 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
But you're not going to get factual evidence! 80's belief is based partly on personal revelation (if I understand him correctly, and he can correct me if I'm wrong.)
Thank you
Old 04-12-2005, 10:53 PM   #56
Refugee

In Greece, they believed in Zeus and all those gods and stuff. They believed that the sun came up in the morning because Apollo carried it in his chariot across the sky. They believed that we had winter because Demeter's daughter Persephone got captured and Demeter (the god of agriculture) wept during those months when Persephone has to return to Hades. In retrospect we realize how ridiculous the Greek religion was. Yet they believed it. Why? Were they dumb? The Greeks were expert scientists and understood much about nature. Is there any difference between what they believed and what some Christians believe. Did Noah really live to be 600? I'm not trying to say Christianity is WRONG. I'm trying to say that perhaps "everything you know is wrong".
Old 04-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #57
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

And you won't find 100 % evidence, as I said before. If that's what you require, then you might as well stop now. However, if you are willing to look beyond, if you start to believe that man's wisdom is like a single grain of sand on the beach at Ft. Lauderdale, then you will open up to the idea that maybe we can't find all the answers in our textbooks and universities.
Yes but the answers you have found (that weren't taught to you). Since your knowledge is but a grain of sand on the beach, how can you be sure that your religious views are correct?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:56 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

You probably asked questions you knew couldn't be answered, and in the absence of their inability to be answered, his ideas would, by default, be dismissed.

Faith, or the lack thereof, is all based on irrationality, and, by its nature, cannot be proven. Nothing any of us can say here can be proven outright.

Melon
That's right

(I don't know about the irrationality part, because my brain is turning to jello and have lost the meaning of what is rational, so I'm going to bed)

Good night, Melon. I've enjoyed our conversation.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:58 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I've enjoyed it too. Take care.

Melon
Old 04-12-2005, 11:00 PM   #60
Refugee

Quote:

That's right

(I don't know about the irrationality part, because my brain is turning to jello and have lost the meaning of what is rational, so I'm going to bed)

Sleep is for the weak!

hehe....just kidding. We had a good conversation though. Don't forget to pray before you go to sleep.