What have we learned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
What have you learned from this tragedy? And I'm not looking for some political type answers, but things that deal with the heart.
I've come to understand 2 things; one which I had no idea of, and another which I knew in my head, but this situation has really showed it in action.

1)My faith in mankind has been restored a bit. Before this incident, I really thought that most people only cared about themselves. However, this incident has shown me an abundance of people who, when times get tough, drop all their differences (political, religious, emotional, etc) to help out a neighbor, and to care about and love others. Not just here in the USA, either. The photos and images from around teh world, showing others in mourning for US really touched my heart.

2)The thing I did know, but now I have really seen it is the Biblical concept that "what Satan has intended for evil, God has intended for good", and "all things work out for the good for those who love The Lord". Those may not be exact quotes, but very close. Anyway, the point is this. God did not cause these evil things to happen, but once they've happened, he has turned them around and brought good out of them. People are reaching out in love to each other. The nation (and the world) is uniting. People are turning to God.

Folks, God is good!

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 09-25-2001).]

I have learned that many people have love for others in sorrowful situations. In the village from which I reside, there was a day of mourning.
Milk of kindness to all,
Halpick Neftin

I?ve learned that we badly need some kind of international police force that is allowed to go into any country to hunt down and arrest terrorists. It?s not just the USA who has to fight terrorism, but every country on this planet. We have to stand together.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

I've learned that man will forever repeat history. It's seemingly inescapable.

I've learned that man only cares for each other in times of trouble, and I expect the "greed is good" and "God is dead" mantras to return once emotions die down.

I've learned how, truly, life is a series of uncontrollable cycles; that, even in my support or dissent, the fate of the world will remain unchanged. So sit back and relax...

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Originally posted by melon:
I've learned that man only cares for each other in times of trouble, and I expect the "greed is good" and "God is dead" mantras to return once emotions die down.
I hope you're not right, melon. But I fear you may be. I believe that you if you are right, we may finally have pushed Him too far.

Well, speaking of "pushing God too far," in Marian apparition circles, it's believed that Lucia, one of the children who saw Mary at Fatima in 1917 (one of two approved apparitions by the Vatican), supposedly is to be alive at the second coming, and she's currently around age 93 I believe.

In Medjugorjie (which is not approved by the Vatican, but the Pope likes this one), it is believed that once all the visionaries have received "six secrets" from Mary, the second coming will begin. Currently, only two visionaries have yet to receive all six, but one only has 1 left and the other only has 2 left. Perhaps that has changed, though, in the last year or so.

Also, it was revealed that it will begin upon the death of the current pope, whom, according to this, has reigned for so long, because God keeps on postponing "the end" out of mercy. But Pope John Paul II could very well live another 10 years or so. Parkinson's Disease is not necessarily fatal, but also keep in mind that the Vatican has never officially released what has been ailing him.

I know, I know. You don't believe it. Even I don't necessarily know what to think of it, and it is particularly open to ideological corruption, as more conservative religious have often included, what I consider to be, unsubstantiated moral commentary along with it. As with all appearances, they are usually fairly vague and uncondemning of specifics, with the exception of abortion condemnation and the mentioning of the necessity of faith and prayer. I find that to be intriguing.

Think what you'd like...

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

I find that to be intriguing.
Think what you'd like...
Melon
[/B][/QUOTE]
hmmm....it's all very intriguing. And actually, I neither believe or disbelieve these signs. I don't know what to think. I can't tell God whom to give signs to.

Originally posted by AM:
I?ve learned that we badly need some kind of international police force that is allowed to go into any country to hunt down and arrest terrorists. It?s not just the USA who has to fight terrorism, but every country on this planet. We have to stand together.

Yeah, that would be a good idea. The UN is always more in a Peace Keeping role, but maybe what is needed is more of an aggressive international policing force. Not just terrorism, but drug trade, people smuggling etc. It would be hard to do it without making it look like it is a puppet for one countries gain or beliefs (most likely US) but if it could be done, it would be good.

And all this 'six secrets' end of the world talk is scary. Esp when stuff comes true...

[This message has been edited by TylerDurden (edited 09-25-2001).]

I realised that I can still be deeply affected and upset by the deaths of the thousands of strangers, despite being very much desensitized by the years of watching tragedies happen back in Russia and all over the world.

I've learned that life is a precious gift, and you never know when it will end.

I've learned how important it is to hug your loved ones each and every day.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Back
Top Bottom