What Drives You? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2004, 06:05 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:48 AM
What Drives You?

I just remembered BonoVoxSuperstars post before about the negativity that has been popping up here over the last few months so I thought a little civil discusion that is apolitical (if there is such a thing, seriously though, if somebody mentions particulars take it to another thread I dont want to drag one of THOSE discussions in here ) about why you (thats a shout out to all of you) post, the topic here is what drives you to argue, ask, debate here on FYM.

Ill kick it off by saying that I enjoy FYM because it allows me to hone the craft of the argument is a forum where there is enough mutual respect and great regulars to keep it relatively civil. Also a good release in terms of being able to nut out problems and hear all sides of the arguments and advocate them too, no matter how much I may disagree with them at heart. I still think the only reason this situation exists is because its a fair bet we are all here because of U2 Music (or PLEBA, but that is a whole can-o-worms better left closed ), keeps tensions from running too high. I guarantee that if you took 100 people with matching ideologies and values but with random taste in music and stuck them in a forum it would probably be quite a bit different.

Anybody Else? There has to be some reason that we all dont just get angry here and piss off and I want to know about it.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:14 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Re: What Drives You?

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
There has to be some reason that we all dont just get angry here and piss off
Umm, thats precisely what happens to me and is why i dont post here often

Old 08-03-2004, 06:27 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:48 PM
i dont post here at all
Old 08-03-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

But you just did, argh - its a paradox!
Old 08-03-2004, 07:18 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

I consider FYM a place to let my thoughts go about world events and to understand what is going on in other places of this world. I don't want to argue, just for argument sake and have refrained from posting many times (just because it was not worth it I was replying to).
Despite the heated discussion that do take place here I also consider FYM as a fairly civilised place. You just have to have a thick skin and not get worked up about everything (something you can learn here, I think).

As you say, in the end, we are all U2 fans.

C ya!

Marty
Old 08-03-2004, 07:52 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:48 PM
I work with 9 and ten year olds all day long. I have a half hour lunch, which we all agree is not the time to discuss politics. FYM is my brains gym. There is not one issue that brings me here.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:13 AM   #7
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:48 PM
I was drawn to FYM because I needed a place to have political discussions of all stripes, as the college I attended, wonderful though it was, was not much of a political place. Particularly after 9/11, I started testing the waters in FYM (believe it or not, I almost exclusively hung out in PLEBA when I first joined Interference!), and after a while I liked it so much I volunteered (yes, volunteered, and continue to volunteer--mods work for free) to become a mod when Elvis called for some new ones in the summer of '02.

So I've been hanging out in FYM for almost three years and a mod for about two of those. Hard to believe sometimes. What keeps me here when things get rough is the friendships I've made with some of the people here and the belief that, even though we have many disagreements, FYMers are by and large intelligent, gracious, good-hearted people.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:31 AM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:48 PM
For the insight, the education, and the chance to have my voice heard. So many times in the world beyond computers talking politics face to face can be very difficult because people start cutting off people and yelling over each other and the true debate gets lost. Sometimes the debate gets lost in here but I guess that's just part of politics. I have to admit that I rather enjoy the fact that a few more "of the right" have trickled in here as of late it would be great if it was 50-50, but I doubt that will ever happen in here. I have a lot respect for anyone to come in here and be the minority and hold their own.

Tensions are getting high as of late, I'm assuming it's due to the upcoming elections...and I understand. For the most part the regulars in here keep it very civil every once in awhile lines get crossed but for the most part we've kept it clean. We all have to watch ourselves from taking any of it too personal, we have to be able to back up what we say, and we have to be humble enough to admit when we're wrong.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:49 AM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 10:48 PM
I think BSV sees the forum as more 'negative' because there are a few more people here saying things he doesn't want to hear, so he jumps on them, they jump back, then blames them, then says things are 'negative.' He is one of the biggest reasons for the negativity as he is involved in most of the heated discussions.

Why am I here? Because I feel like somebody has to bring out points other people aren't going to because they are biased. I think some people would prefer this forum if all the 'bad' people would go away and they could just bash Bush all day, call conservatives 'stupid' and match obscure conspiracy theories. Having someone here thinking a different way spoils the fun and causes 'negativity' for them.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:52 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
I think BSV sees the forum as more 'negative' because there are a few more people here saying things he doesn't want to hear, so he jumps on them, they jump back, then blames them, then says things are 'negative.' He is one of the biggest reasons for the negativity as he is involved in most of the heated discussions.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:05 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I guess it's just me, but I don't understand why some people get so "angry" about this place. People have opinions-if the fact that they are in opposition to yours makes you that angry, I guess it's best to just avoid this forum ..the only thing that makes me angry about this place is if people are rude/disrespectful, racist, sexist, or defame the religious beliefs of others.

And I'd just like to add that I don't see BVS as being "one of the biggest reasons for negativity". Yes, he argues his opinions passionately, but I don't see that as being the same thing. Negativity to me involves what I've already mentioned. I think in may instances if you don't want the stress like I don't, it's just best to respectfully agree to disagree.

I enjoy reading what the people here have to offer, it's a nice balance for the lighthearted subjects in the other forums
Old 08-03-2004, 09:23 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
...the only thing that makes me angry about this place is if people are rude/disrespectful, racist, sexist, or defame the religious beliefs of others.
or start threads just to upset people.

I come here mainly as a reader, to see what people have to say about certain topics and how they try to defend their opinions. I learn a lot about what's going on in the world from coming to FYM. I usually avoid posting because I don't have enough time to engage in debate, but I do read about 75% of the threads here.

When I do have something to post, or a thread to start, it's because it's a subject that I am very concerned about, or would like enlightment on. And it is nice knowing we're all U2 fans, but sometimes it does surprise me what an incredibly varied fanbase they do have.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:37 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yeah it's wonderful that we're all U2 fans. Really wonderful. I'm not sure it makes any practical difference, although I'll concede that there are FAR more brutal politics forums on the web than this one.

I just come here because I'm transfixed.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:37 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I like it here b/c in FYM I'm a minority - a young woman that's a religious, conservative, Republican *gasp*, but where I come from, I'm part of a huge majority. It's way more interesting to discuss here, even though it's a message board, than with most people I know face-to-face.

Sometimes I'm turned off by FYM b/c people get SO emotionally attached to some topics. A lot of times I post something someone else thinks its rediculous and I don't even respond again b/c I can't MAKE someone understand me or what I believe. If they don't want to, they don't want to. There's maybe 2 people here I've noticed who have similar religious beliefs as myself so I guess I'm a minority there, but I WILL NOT compromise my religious beliefs for anything and I don't expect any other religious person to either. That = tension and anger b/c neither side is ever going to give an inch.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:43 AM   #15
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

BP, this is a chance for us to come together and say what we enjoy about FYM, not point fingers and make accusations about people.

Join Amnesty.