What Drives You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
I just remembered BonoVoxSuperstars post before about the negativity that has been popping up here over the last few months so I thought a little civil discusion that is apolitical (if there is such a thing, seriously though, if somebody mentions particulars take it to another thread I dont want to drag one of THOSE discussions in here :banghead: ) about why you (thats a shout out to all of you) post, the topic here is what drives you to argue, ask, debate here on FYM.

Ill kick it off by saying that I enjoy FYM because it allows me to hone the craft of the argument is a forum where there is enough mutual respect and great regulars to keep it relatively civil. Also a good release in terms of being able to nut out problems and hear all sides of the arguments and advocate them too, no matter how much I may disagree with them at heart. I still think the only reason this situation exists is because its a fair bet we are all here because of U2 Music (or PLEBA, but that is a whole can-o-worms better left closed :wink: ), keeps tensions from running too high. I guarantee that if you took 100 people with matching ideologies and values but with random taste in music and stuck them in a forum it would probably be quite a bit different.

Anybody Else? There has to be some reason that we all dont just get angry here and piss off and I want to know about it.

Last edited:
I consider FYM a place to let my thoughts go about world events and to understand what is going on in other places of this world. I don't want to argue, just for argument sake and have refrained from posting many times (just because it was not worth it I was replying to).
Despite the heated discussion that do take place here I also consider FYM as a fairly civilised place. You just have to have a thick skin and not get worked up about everything (something you can learn here, I think).

As you say, in the end, we are all U2 fans. :)

C ya!

Marty

I work with 9 and ten year olds all day long. I have a half hour lunch, which we all agree is not the time to discuss politics. FYM is my brains gym. There is not one issue that brings me here.

I was drawn to FYM because I needed a place to have political discussions of all stripes, as the college I attended, wonderful though it was, was not much of a political place. Particularly after 9/11, I started testing the waters in FYM (believe it or not, I almost exclusively hung out in PLEBA when I first joined Interference!), and after a while I liked it so much I volunteered (yes, volunteered, and continue to volunteer--mods work for free) to become a mod when Elvis called for some new ones in the summer of '02.

So I've been hanging out in FYM for almost three years and a mod for about two of those. Hard to believe sometimes. What keeps me here when things get rough is the friendships I've made with some of the people here and the belief that, even though we have many disagreements, FYMers are by and large intelligent, gracious, good-hearted people. :up:

For the insight, the education, and the chance to have my voice heard. So many times in the world beyond computers talking politics face to face can be very difficult because people start cutting off people and yelling over each other and the true debate gets lost. Sometimes the debate gets lost in here but I guess that's just part of politics. I have to admit that I rather enjoy the fact that a few more "of the right" have trickled in here as of late it would be great if it was 50-50, but I doubt that will ever happen in here. I have a lot respect for anyone to come in here and be the minority and hold their own.

Tensions are getting high as of late, I'm assuming it's due to the upcoming elections...and I understand. For the most part the regulars in here keep it very civil every once in awhile lines get crossed but for the most part we've kept it clean. We all have to watch ourselves from taking any of it too personal, we have to be able to back up what we say, and we have to be humble enough to admit when we're wrong.

I think BSV sees the forum as more 'negative' because there are a few more people here saying things he doesn't want to hear, so he jumps on them, they jump back, then blames them, then says things are 'negative.' He is one of the biggest reasons for the negativity as he is involved in most of the heated discussions.

Why am I here? Because I feel like somebody has to bring out points other people aren't going to because they are biased. I think some people would prefer this forum if all the 'bad' people would go away and they could just bash Bush all day, call conservatives 'stupid' and match obscure conspiracy theories. Having someone here thinking a different way spoils the fun and causes 'negativity' for them.

BluberryPoptart said:
I think BSV sees the forum as more 'negative' because there are a few more people here saying things he doesn't want to hear, so he jumps on them, they jump back, then blames them, then says things are 'negative.' He is one of the biggest reasons for the negativity as he is involved in most of the heated discussions.

:rolleyes:

I guess it's just me, but I don't understand why some people get so "angry" about this place. People have opinions-if the fact that they are in opposition to yours makes you that angry, I guess it's best to just avoid this forum :shrug:..the only thing that makes me angry about this place is if people are rude/disrespectful, racist, sexist, or defame the religious beliefs of others.

And I'd just like to add that I don't see BVS as being "one of the biggest reasons for negativity". Yes, he argues his opinions passionately, but I don't see that as being the same thing. Negativity to me involves what I've already mentioned. I think in may instances if you don't want the stress like I don't, it's just best to respectfully agree to disagree.

I enjoy reading what the people here have to offer, it's a nice balance for the lighthearted subjects in the other forums :)

MrsSpringsteen said:
...the only thing that makes me angry about this place is if people are rude/disrespectful, racist, sexist, or defame the religious beliefs of others.

or start threads just to upset people.

I come here mainly as a reader, to see what people have to say about certain topics and how they try to defend their opinions. I learn a lot about what's going on in the world from coming to FYM. I usually avoid posting because I don't have enough time to engage in debate, but I do read about 75% of the threads here.

When I do have something to post, or a thread to start, it's because it's a subject that I am very concerned about, or would like enlightment on. And it is nice knowing we're all U2 fans, but sometimes it does surprise me what an incredibly varied fanbase they do have. :eeklaugh:

Yeah it's wonderful that we're all U2 fans. Really wonderful. I'm not sure it makes any practical difference, although I'll concede that there are FAR more brutal politics forums on the web than this one.

I just come here because I'm transfixed.

I like it here b/c in FYM I'm a minority - a young woman that's a religious, conservative, Republican *gasp*, but where I come from, I'm part of a huge majority. It's way more interesting to discuss here, even though it's a message board, than with most people I know face-to-face.

Sometimes I'm turned off by FYM b/c people get SO emotionally attached to some topics. A lot of times I post something someone else thinks its rediculous and I don't even respond again b/c I can't MAKE someone understand me or what I believe. If they don't want to, they don't want to. There's maybe 2 people here I've noticed who have similar religious beliefs as myself so I guess I'm a minority there, but I WILL NOT compromise my religious beliefs for anything and I don't expect any other religious person to either. That = tension and anger b/c neither side is ever going to give an inch. :shrug:

BP, this is a chance for us to come together and say what we enjoy about FYM, not point fingers and make accusations about people.

BluberryPoptart said:

This is WAAAAYYYYYY out of line. BVS is not negative. BVS is going to stand up for what he believes in. THat does not = negative.

I may stand on the opposite site from BVS of many issues, but at the end of the debate, BVS is the kind of person you can disagree with, and have a beer.

I am disappointed in the direction of this thread.

My reasons for coming here are very similar to LivLuv. I'm a young man that's a religious, conservative, Republican; and in my circle of influence, so is everyone else. FYM is good for me, because it helps me see the "other side" and realize that not everyone thinks the way I do.

One of the biggest blessings about FYM is that it forces me to think through why I believe what I believe. Most of my strongest beliefs are the ones that I've had to think through and argue for the most.

I wish I could post here more often, but I often don't have the time available due to a new job & upcoming marriage (46 days!).

I enjoy FYM because it is an excellent forum where my views are challenged and thus refined. Issues are discussed from a variety of viewpoints and is never predictible.

As one of a small handful of conservative Christians, I enjoy the balance of socio-political and theological discussion.

FYMers do an excellent job in staying on topic and generally avoid making posts and replys personal.

I would welcome forum members to PM me if they feel I cross the line with my own posts. For me to grow, I must be teachable.

I lurk about here, and very rarely say anything. I am pretty much a wacked-out lefty, so I don't see the need to throw myself into the mix. :wink: Besides, I spend a lot of time reading everything here and often find that if I did take part in most threads that interest me... there's just not enough hours in the day. I really enjoy reading what others have to say, even if they don't agree with the majority or myself. I have learned a lot just by standing on the sidelines, and I don't think that differing views do anything to promote negativity. I strongly feel that the things that do promote negativity are the personal jabs and knocks on people's intelligence just because they share an opposing view - but really, this just boils down to passionate debate and at the end of the day, most people here agree to disagree in a civilized manner. The approach from all sides is human, and that to me is appealing. The human, passionate, intelligent approach everyone takes no matter who they are or what walk of life they come from, is something that a lot of places that breed political debate lack. That's what keeps me coming back for more every day.

I think everyone has valid points, and everyone here is passionate. I have a lot of respect for a lot of members here (even though you all hardly know me :wink:) from STING who stands on the right all the way to elfyx who stands on the waaaaay opposite end of the spectrum.

In short, I find this place and the civil debates that go on to be most intriguing, and when I hear something in the news I come here to see what people have to say about it. And I stand by my belief that this place is unique in the sense that at the end of the day, we're all U2 fans here and that's the common ground that brought us to FYM in the first place.

Dreadsox said:

This is WAAAAYYYYYY out of line. BVS is not negative. BVS is going to stand up for what he believes in. THat does not = negative.

But he doesn't like it when other people do the same, and if they do he considers it negative, so why shouldn't it go both ways?

BluberryPoptart said:

Why am I here? Because I feel like somebody has to bring out points other people aren't going to because they are biased. I think some people would prefer this forum if all the 'bad' people would go away and they could just bash Bush all day, call conservatives 'stupid' and match obscure conspiracy theories. Having someone here thinking a different way spoils the fun and causes 'negativity' for them.

Ahem...

Originally posted by A _Wanderer
seriously though, if somebody mentions particulars take it to another thread I dont want to drag one of THOSE discussions in here :banghead:

Also, I can safely say right now that the latter part of your post is definitely not true of me.

Anywho, why do I come here? Because as it says in my profile, I am an opinionated person who will speak her mind if need be. I come from a family that's used to expressing their opinions about any and everything, so it's just something I'm used to. I love debating with people about any and everything. I like hearing what everyone else thinks about an issue, and here it's even better, because I'm hearing views from both adults and people around my age. Other boards I debate on, it's nothing but teens discussing this stuff, which is fine, but it's nice to hear the adults' perspective on it all, too (and this is a great way for adults to hear what us young people think about everything the generation before them did or is doing or whatever).

There wasn't one specific issue that brought me here originally, but there have been specific issues that I've gotten very passionate about in my time here.

So yeah, there's my reasons for why I like coming to FYM.

Edit: by the way, stammer, congrats on your upcoming wedding :applaud:.

Angela

Last edited:
You'll probably all find this amusing, but I like FYM because I find it relaxing. Yes, I did say relaxing. :p I spend most of my life either studying politics, discussing politics or working on political campaigns, so sometimes it's nice to get away from that and chat about politics in a less pressured environment. I also like that the discussions here tend not to be too complex and academic, because as interesting as it is to discuss hegemonic stability theory for three hours (welcome to my afternoon :wink: ) sometimes you just want to have a light-hearted chat about whatever is making the headlines today.

BluberryPoptart said:

But he doesn't like it when other people do the same, and if they do he considers it negative, so why shouldn't it go both ways?

BP, if you have an issue with BVS it might be best to speak with him privately rather than attacking him in this thread.

Anyhoo, I come to FYM to see all of the opinions on display. Not really too much deeper than that.

I post here because it gives me the chance to express my feelings on important topics and to learn from others. This forum gives me an opportunity to see the world through the eyes of others and that is an invaluable experience. I might not always agree with what I read but I ALWAYS learn something from it.

nbcrusader said:
I enjoy FYM because it is an excellent forum where my views are challenged and thus refined. Issues are discussed from a variety of viewpoints and is never predictible.

As one of a small handful of conservative Christians, I enjoy the balance of socio-political and theological discussion.

FYMers do an excellent job in staying on topic and generally avoid making posts and replys personal.

I would welcome forum members to PM me if they feel I cross the line with my own posts. For me to grow, I must be teachable.

Same here except I'm a socially liberal Christian. At times it is difficult not to get strident on a personally emotional issue.

PS - I'm sorely trying not to reply to negative comments in this thread. :|
OK

Yes, please refrain from making negative comments about other members here on the forum, and especially in this thread. That's we we have PMs, e-mail, and chat.

Thank you.

I'm new to posting cuz I never felt the urge to do it before this election, but I think it does get hostile in here a lot of times because we can not see each other's faces when we're posting. All we see is our comments and we don't ever get to hear the tone of how its pitched. We just see the person coming at you with a totally opposite opinion and most probably take offense to that. I know when I write something, I just say whats on my mind and move on, but when I re-read it, it could come off harsher than it was meant to.

I think people should give the posters the benefit of the doubt almost all the time that comments are not meant to be malicious. At least thats how I view this forum.

Though sometimes things can get a litle heated here, for the most part everyone remains pretty civil, even when debating hot topics with people who have virtually polar opposite views, and that really helps a lot.

I've started coming into FYM more recently because I think there are a lot of important issues affecting us all at the moment, and I feel it's important to both let my voice be heard as well as hear from all sides of the issue. I've had to challenge a lot of my beliefs as a result of some very good posts in here, and I think it's healthy to be able to do that - question your beliefs and hear from all sides of an issue. If the only thing I heard was opinions that basically echoed my own, I wouldn't learn much.

I think sometimes (and I've been guilty of this too) it's the sarcastic one line responses that do the most damage as far as angering people and making it personal, but overall there seems to be a generally accepted level of respect across the board.

Back
Top Bottom