What Drives You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I joined FYM because i didn't wanted to practice my english :)
On the other hand i love to see the reason why people think different than i do.
As long as they have good reasons it's much more interesting to talk to them than to people who share all of my opinions :)

Klaus, your English is oustanding, and Stammer- congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals. I hear my husband's opinions everyday, and am getting better at voicing my own- this forum helps. There's an amazing amount of civility here, considering the subjects that are discussed. I'm grateful for the mods and the posters who can and will remind anyone who thinks that the rules don't appy to them that, yes- they do.

I come here to read and occasionally post because (and I know this will most likely shock many) FYM is much more conservative socially/politically (and religiously too -- if that's a word) than my other forums. I live an area that's very conservative (gad...I'm in Ohio!), but my friends (most don't live here. Go figure.) and I are not (but of course we do disagree on things). It's interesting to get different points of view, and most people do keep the discussion in check too.

lol indra. I think there are lots of liberals in FYM we just aren't as uhm excitable as our more conservative friends ;)

I've always been interested in the sort of issues that are discussed here. But I've never been able to find a place on the net to discuss them in a sane way. Sure, things get passionate here from time to time, but I don't think that it's too over the top. Most places on the net are dragged easily into trashing, swearing, and very often have pretty dumb remarks.

Plus, this place has a wide range of opinions and types of people. I actually like to argue with someone whom I don't agree with, as long as it's done in the right way.

And of course, like Klaus, I'm practicing my English.

I've started posting in FYM recently because other parts of the forum have begun to bore me. :uhoh:

I have always been involved/interested in politics. I have covered politics as a journo, and have volunteered for candidates in both major parties.

I enjoy the INTELLIGENT debate I see here! I look forward to seeing the FYM dynamic, and its posters carry through arguments supporting their views. I have been very fond of FYM posters such as Dreadsox, Kieran, A_Wanderer, Melon, NBCrusdaer, Fizz and others for a long time.

zoney! said:
I enjoy the INTELLIGENT debate I see here! I look forward to seeing the FYM dynamic, and its posters carry through arguments supporting their views. I have been very fond of FYM posters such as Dreadsox, Kieran, A_Wanderer, Melon, NBCrusdaer, Fizz and others for a long time.

:up:

najeena said:
Klaus, your English is oustanding, and Stammer- congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals.

:yes:

For me, Bono drove me here initially. I started on the U2 forums searching for documentation of an incredible experience.

http://home.comcast.net/~cimon254/U2Exp.htm

I got the documentation and a whole new look at life. I sort of feel like I was called to serve. Bono said a prayer after he asked my daughter her name. Why a prayer then? What about the rest of the world living on less then a dollar a day? The first step was to realize that everyone in the world is really One - but not the same. Until I read posts from people all over the world and all over America - I can't say I understood that. I know this all sounds corney - but everyone here has helped me open my eyes to things that I never bothered to stop and think about. It was so easy for me to be caught up in my little old world and not see the big picture.

Since my incredible experience, I joined a Church, try to be more of an activist (though being a mom of 3 kids, one being a young child it's more of an ideal right now), and try to articulate my thoughts better. I don't know why I do this, I just know what the inspiration was. My husband is divorcing me for tons of reasons I suppose, but the changes in me after the concert have to be part of it. It's strange to not get along with someone for so long, but no understand the reasons why marriage cannot continue.

I have made effort to post more as of late, and do know that it is much easier to read and think than put my 2 cents in. I have read this board since January 2002, but don't post in it frequently. I am still on the fence as to whether I am ready to post or go back to being more of a reader.

Like others, I appreciate the civilness of this board and have been upset with myself after reading the response of what I have said emotionally and realizing that I could have said something in a more diplomatic way. I'm learning still :)

The regulars here rock! :up:

BostonAnne, that is such a cool story-what a sweet thing for Bono to do. And your daughter's response when he asked her what her name was is so cute :cute:.

I'm glad that you're more interested in being involved in things :up:. If these changes feel right to you, go ahead with them. And I do hope you post your thoughts more often, because I have liked hearing what you have to say thus far :). But if you want to just read, that's cool, too-it's up to you.

Also, sorry to hear about your divorce :( :hug:.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
BostonAnne, that is such a cool story-what a sweet thing for Bono to do. And your daughter's response when he asked her what her name was is so cute :cute:.

I'm glad that you're more interested in being involved in things :up:. If these changes feel right to you, go ahead with them. And I do hope you post your thoughts more often, because I have liked hearing what you have to say thus far :). But if you want to just read, that's cool, too-it's up to you.

Also, sorry to hear about your divorce :( :hug:.

Angela

Thanks Angela. :hug: :)

Klaus said:
Thanks najeena for your kind words :wink:
BostonAnne :applause:
And thanks to all you other FYMers, it's wonderfull to see your thoughts written down in this forum :hug:

Thanks Klaus :) and thanks to all that write their thoughts in this forum. You've taught me alot. :)

Well, first off I'm feeling much better after a consultation with my shrink! He's great, I'm so lucky to have him! Plus, I have found that I'm too addicted to FYM to even last a so-called "sabbatical"! :reject: I too enjoy reading the conservative posters. While I frequently disagree with them they add a dimension to my understanding of issues. I have learned alot from them. And of course FYM would be boring as hell without them. I sure would hate it if this were some sort of "preaching to the choir of liberals" place. So don't quit you guys!:hug:

I love FYM. It has been a great source of information, it's made me laugh, get mad and subsequently I've become a better debater, not necessarily on here, but in general. I love the fact there are international opinions as well as US. It's so interesting to read what is happening in other countries and the opinions of some of the rest of the world rather than just the "US". I usually have enough time to just read but I try to jump in at times. The times I have wanted to really attack someone, I usually finish reading the post and then realize, the person didn't mean it the way I took it or that it would just be a waste of time. Not everything has to have a response. (from me anyway)

Back
Top Bottom