What Drives You? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2004, 10:13 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
I think BSV sees the forum as more 'negative' because there are a few more people here saying things he doesn't want to hear, so he jumps on them, they jump back, then blames them, then says things are 'negative.' He is one of the biggest reasons for the negativity as he is involved in most of the heated discussions.
This is WAAAAYYYYYY out of line. BVS is not negative. BVS is going to stand up for what he believes in. THat does not = negative.

I may stand on the opposite site from BVS of many issues, but at the end of the debate, BVS is the kind of person you can disagree with, and have a beer.

I am disappointed in the direction of this thread.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:22 AM   #17
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:48 PM

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:26 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

I agree 100 percent Dreadsox
Old 08-03-2004, 10:32 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 04:48 AM
My reasons for coming here are very similar to LivLuv. I'm a young man that's a religious, conservative, Republican; and in my circle of influence, so is everyone else. FYM is good for me, because it helps me see the "other side" and realize that not everyone thinks the way I do.

One of the biggest blessings about FYM is that it forces me to think through why I believe what I believe. Most of my strongest beliefs are the ones that I've had to think through and argue for the most.

I wish I could post here more often, but I often don't have the time available due to a new job & upcoming marriage (46 days!).
Old 08-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:48 AM
I enjoy FYM because it is an excellent forum where my views are challenged and thus refined. Issues are discussed from a variety of viewpoints and is never predictible.

As one of a small handful of conservative Christians, I enjoy the balance of socio-political and theological discussion.

FYMers do an excellent job in staying on topic and generally avoid making posts and replys personal.

I would welcome forum members to PM me if they feel I cross the line with my own posts. For me to grow, I must be teachable.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:43 AM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:48 PM
I lurk about here, and very rarely say anything. I am pretty much a wacked-out lefty, so I don't see the need to throw myself into the mix. Besides, I spend a lot of time reading everything here and often find that if I did take part in most threads that interest me... there's just not enough hours in the day. I really enjoy reading what others have to say, even if they don't agree with the majority or myself. I have learned a lot just by standing on the sidelines, and I don't think that differing views do anything to promote negativity. I strongly feel that the things that do promote negativity are the personal jabs and knocks on people's intelligence just because they share an opposing view - but really, this just boils down to passionate debate and at the end of the day, most people here agree to disagree in a civilized manner. The approach from all sides is human, and that to me is appealing. The human, passionate, intelligent approach everyone takes no matter who they are or what walk of life they come from, is something that a lot of places that breed political debate lack. That's what keeps me coming back for more every day.

I think everyone has valid points, and everyone here is passionate. I have a lot of respect for a lot of members here (even though you all hardly know me ) from STING who stands on the right all the way to elfyx who stands on the waaaaay opposite end of the spectrum.

In short, I find this place and the civil debates that go on to be most intriguing, and when I hear something in the news I come here to see what people have to say about it. And I stand by my belief that this place is unique in the sense that at the end of the day, we're all U2 fans here and that's the common ground that brought us to FYM in the first place.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #22
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

This is WAAAAYYYYYY out of line. BVS is not negative. BVS is going to stand up for what he believes in. THat does not = negative.

But he doesn't like it when other people do the same, and if they do he considers it negative, so why shouldn't it go both ways?
Old 08-03-2004, 12:59 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:48 PM
Quote:
I think BSV sees the forum as more 'negative' because there are a few more people here saying things he doesn't want to hear, so he jumps on them, they jump back, then blames them, then says things are 'negative.' He is one of the biggest reasons for the negativity as he is involved in most of the heated discussions.

Why am I here? Because I feel like somebody has to bring out points other people aren't going to because they are biased. I think some people would prefer this forum if all the 'bad' people would go away and they could just bash Bush all day, call conservatives 'stupid' and match obscure conspiracy theories. Having someone here thinking a different way spoils the fun and causes 'negativity' for them.
Ahem...

Quote:
Originally posted by A _Wanderer
seriously though, if somebody mentions particulars take it to another thread I dont want to drag one of THOSE discussions in here
Also, I can safely say right now that the latter part of your post is definitely not true of me.

Anywho, why do I come here? Because as it says in my profile, I am an opinionated person who will speak her mind if need be. I come from a family that's used to expressing their opinions about any and everything, so it's just something I'm used to. I love debating with people about any and everything. I like hearing what everyone else thinks about an issue, and here it's even better, because I'm hearing views from both adults and people around my age. Other boards I debate on, it's nothing but teens discussing this stuff, which is fine, but it's nice to hear the adults' perspective on it all, too (and this is a great way for adults to hear what us young people think about everything the generation before them did or is doing or whatever).

There wasn't one specific issue that brought me here originally, but there have been specific issues that I've gotten very passionate about in my time here.

So yeah, there's my reasons for why I like coming to FYM.

Edit: by the way, stammer, congrats on your upcoming wedding .

Angela
Old 08-03-2004, 01:02 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

You'll probably all find this amusing, but I like FYM because I find it relaxing. Yes, I did say relaxing. I spend most of my life either studying politics, discussing politics or working on political campaigns, so sometimes it's nice to get away from that and chat about politics in a less pressured environment. I also like that the discussions here tend not to be too complex and academic, because as interesting as it is to discuss hegemonic stability theory for three hours (welcome to my afternoon ) sometimes you just want to have a light-hearted chat about whatever is making the headlines today.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:35 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 11:48 AM
Quote:

But he doesn't like it when other people do the same, and if they do he considers it negative, so why shouldn't it go both ways?
BP, if you have an issue with BVS it might be best to speak with him privately rather than attacking him in this thread.

Anyhoo, I come to FYM to see all of the opinions on display. Not really too much deeper than that.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:53 PM   #26
Refugee

I post here because it gives me the chance to express my feelings on important topics and to learn from others. This forum gives me an opportunity to see the world through the eyes of others and that is an invaluable experience. I might not always agree with what I read but I ALWAYS learn something from it.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:15 PM   #27
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I enjoy FYM because it is an excellent forum where my views are challenged and thus refined. Issues are discussed from a variety of viewpoints and is never predictible.

As one of a small handful of conservative Christians, I enjoy the balance of socio-political and theological discussion.

FYMers do an excellent job in staying on topic and generally avoid making posts and replys personal.

I would welcome forum members to PM me if they feel I cross the line with my own posts. For me to grow, I must be teachable.
Same here except I'm a socially liberal Christian. At times it is difficult not to get strident on a personally emotional issue.

PS - I'm sorely trying not to reply to negative comments in this thread.
OK
Old 08-03-2004, 03:43 PM   #28
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes, please refrain from making negative comments about other members here on the forum, and especially in this thread. That's we we have PMs, e-mail, and chat.

Thank you.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:07 PM   #29
The Fly

I'm new to posting cuz I never felt the urge to do it before this election, but I think it does get hostile in here a lot of times because we can not see each other's faces when we're posting. All we see is our comments and we don't ever get to hear the tone of how its pitched. We just see the person coming at you with a totally opposite opinion and most probably take offense to that. I know when I write something, I just say whats on my mind and move on, but when I re-read it, it could come off harsher than it was meant to.

I think people should give the posters the benefit of the doubt almost all the time that comments are not meant to be malicious. At least thats how I view this forum.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #30
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Though sometimes things can get a litle heated here, for the most part everyone remains pretty civil, even when debating hot topics with people who have virtually polar opposite views, and that really helps a lot.

I've started coming into FYM more recently because I think there are a lot of important issues affecting us all at the moment, and I feel it's important to both let my voice be heard as well as hear from all sides of the issue. I've had to challenge a lot of my beliefs as a result of some very good posts in here, and I think it's healthy to be able to do that - question your beliefs and hear from all sides of an issue. If the only thing I heard was opinions that basically echoed my own, I wouldn't learn much.

I think sometimes (and I've been guilty of this too) it's the sarcastic one line responses that do the most damage as far as angering people and making it personal, but overall there seems to be a generally accepted level of respect across the board.