What does it say.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
The stories about Reagan's life, presidency and death completely knocked Campaign 2004 out of my local newspaper. No news about the Bush Administration, Iraq, the Kerry campaign, or any controversies or remarks concerning this stuff. It was all Reagan and local issues. What does this say about Campaign 2004? Any thoughts? It really shocked me.

Well, forget about the campaign.

If you turned on CNN today you'd be hardpressed to find out it was the 60th anniversary of D-Day. It's shocking.

I have the BBC and CBC here in Canada and we've had extensive coverage all day. Heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time.

I would say that this is perfectly expected. This is "new" news, and I would say that Reagan's death will top the headlines for the next week or so, until it is old news. Then I'm sure that Campaign 2004 will go back to politics as usual and the newspapers will adjust accordingly.

I would say that this is nothing new.

Melon

That is interesting. Of course, the same question was posed when Princess Diana and Mother Theresa died around the same time. Mother Teresa didn't get remotely the same press attention.

There are definitely a lot of questions, sometimes, about where our priorities lie.

Melon

Campaign coverage disappears in an instant when other world news appears. Many channels had pre-packaged D-Day anniversary coverage.

Remember that Kerry has preempted Bush and has essentially postponed his campaign for the next week so that the Republicans can't capitalise much on Reagans death. There won't be much for the next week.

to me the only shocking thing is that election campaigns don't ever seem to lead to anything really news worthy anyway

anything remotely interesting would steal away the spotlights

it's nothing short of a miracle so much tv time and newspaper space can be filled by it as it is

I don't think the masses want to hear too much about Iraq anymore, they just want it to be over

it is a true shame about the D-Day anniversary though

Because it's "new" news, and it's about history instead of new happenings. It's like Bill and Ted said, "this is a history report, not a future report"

Another reason the report won't mention anything new is because they are often made up in advance. It's true! I've seen stories on this before. When a very famous person is very old or very sick, they start gathering stuff for their 'tribute' reports and info on their life so they can have it ready when they do pass. They will then only have to add the final details. This is necessary considering how long it takes to research and compile reports like those. Ever wonder how they got it out "so fast?" That's why :yes:

Come to think of it Verte, I thought you were dreading an extended campaign. Perhaps we will get our fill during the last 3 months.

The media is interesting in good ratings, and keeping their sponsors happy. Newsworthy events won't get covered,
unless their "sexy" and attract viewers.
What's "sexy" right now is Reagan's funeral. Within a week,
the media will find something else to show.
It'll be back to soundbites of Kerry and Bush very shortly.
And a "human interest" story, and less we forget some movie
star talking ' bout an upcoming film that's on the same station.

I got at least part of my explanation when I read that John Kerry has cancelled a week of public campaigning in deference to the Reagan family. That certainly takes the shock out of the whole equation.

Kerry was smart. He could deliver major policy speeches this week and he would still get minor coverage compared to the Reagan coverage.

I think it shows "a strong liberal bias" in the US media :D :D :D

nbcrusader said:
Kerry was smart. He could deliver major policy speeches this week and he would still get minor coverage compared to the Reagan coverage.
I prefer to think that he + his campaign team would be extremely stupid not to recognize this

The saturation of the media when Reagan died was inevitable (and well planned for, I'm sure). It will run it's course and things will return to 'normal'. The presidential candidates both needed to tiptoe around this, and they did.

Back
Top Bottom