What do you think will happen if GWB keeps pissing the rest of the world off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zepher25

Acrobat
i dont really know, but hes systematically alienating almost all the USA's allies, the only decent ones left are really the UK, Australia and Canada, and they can only be pushed so far, keeping in mind one 80 year old woman has effectively total control over all 3 of those nations, if she should choose to execute it.

Speaking from an Australian point of view, I'd say the answer would be: not much. Most Australians know that our security is tied directly to the US, and will always want to stick close. Australian public opinion wouldn't ever stray far, but would be praying for this generation of US politics to be booted far and a mile away from office and power as soon as possible. This is why you get polls here that are overwhelmingly against Bush and, I guess, the Bush Doctrine, but at the same time support Australia remaining as an ally of that very man and that very doctrine, eg overwhelmingly against Iraq but overwhelmingly for Australia supporting. They basically say "we will stick with the Americans, but we sincerely hope the Americans change direction". It's what Howard plays very well on here, and you'll notice he always chooses his words very, very carefuly. "It is in Australias best interests to...." Everyone knows what that means, and agrees.

Nothing up here in Canada.

We have an idiot in office.

Canada turned into "The Handmaid's Tale" yet? :wink:

Seriously I don't think that Bush is going to be pissing off any other countries, over the last year the actions have changed severely regardless of the rhetoric and the foreign policy is neither one place or another; that is a recipe for long term problems.

Last edited:
The way I see it, there are two choices:

1. Keep bashing Bush and wait until he's assasinated and Bin-Laden becomes president with Ahmed-in-a-jar as vice-president, Iran wipes out Israel (and most of the middle east) with an atom bomb, N. Korea wipes out South Korea (and all of Asia) with THEIR atomic bomb, Arabic becomes the official language of the United States, and NYC is turned into a parking lot.......and THEN scratch our heads in amazement and ask how this could have happened....

or

2. Leave him alone and let him continue doing his job!! which also includes waging war on terrorists seeking to destroy any semblance of decency in this world.

2. Leave him alone and let him continue doing his job!! which also includes waging war on terrorists seeking to destroy any semblance of decency in this world.
If he isn't procecuting that effectively then people are right to question and highlight the defficiencies, there is a sizable number of people that completely support taking down Islamic terrorism and state sponsers but are dissapointed at this administrations failures to wage war effectively.

A_Wanderer said:
If he isn't procecuting that effectively then people are right to question and highlight the defficiencies, there is a sizable number of people that completely support taking down Islamic terrorism and state sponsers but are dissapointed at this administrations failures to wage war effectively.

Yes, and that's my view. Bush talked about this being "a different kind of war," but all I see so far is the same kind of war being waged, with "terrorism" being an excuse to all but obliterate privacy laws, not to mention expanding executive power to break laws the way Bush sees fit. So far, it seems like nothing but a shameless power grab, as the Bush Administration, even prior to 9/11, lamented the weakening of executive power in post-Vietnam America.

Melon

A_Wanderer said:
Canada turned into "The Handmaid's Tale" yet? :wink:

No, our PM is too busy parading around in Nunavut "asserting our Arctic sovereignty" whatever that means and fighting with Denmark about some uninhabitable island in the middle of an ice sheet.

Or something.

anitram said:

No, our PM is too busy parading around in Nunavut "asserting our Arctic sovereignty" whatever that means and fighting with Denmark about some uninhabitable island in the middle of an ice sheet.

Or something.

:lmao:

i don't even know what you're talking about, but it sounds really funny.

Bush has pissed off the world far, far more than Reagan ever did (though Reagan did piss people off).

Earnie's post is very thoughtful, too.

AchtungBono said:
The way I see it, there are two choices:

1. Keep bashing Bush and wait until he's assasinated and Bin-Laden becomes president with Ahmed-in-a-jar as vice-president, Iran wipes out Israel (and most of the middle east) with an atom bomb, N. Korea wipes out South Korea (and all of Asia) with THEIR atomic bomb, Arabic becomes the official language of the United States, and NYC is turned into a parking lot.......and THEN scratch our heads in amazement and ask how this could have happened....

Leaving aside the scaremongering, what probabilities would you assign to these various hypothetical scenarios?

Back
Top Bottom