what do you think "free your mind" means? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2002, 04:58 PM   #46
The Fly

Local Time: 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by z edge

Your attacks on me yesterday and today are only because I silenced you on a different issue.
LMAO!
I think your future lies in the stand up comic ranks young apprentice!

Old 07-16-2002, 05:11 PM   #47
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Like someone to blame

LMAO!
I think your future lies in the stand up comic ranks young apprentice!
LMFAO

thank you
psssssssssssssssssss....
i'm older than you btw

Old 07-16-2002, 05:56 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

follower, this is the best thing I've read in FYM since...well, maybe ever
So maybe we both should thank good old Bob Marley, there in heaven...Redemption Song is my fave Marley song...and that line says it all along with the next one...

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds"

ugly thread, btw...
Old 07-16-2002, 06:18 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by follower

So maybe we both should thank good old Bob Marley, there in heaven...Redemption Song is my fave Marley song...and that line says it all along with the next one...

I love that! Being a slave to the mind is suffocating to the soul.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:19 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:23 AM

I like "We're Jamming" better.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:40 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
I like "We're Jamming" better.
lol..I like "We're Jamming" better sung by a friend of mine who sings it in a really corny big Broadway voice...hilarious
Old 07-16-2002, 11:04 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: hoo haaaaa

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
And, a place to read humor-filled reposnses from Bama (still one of the best posters on Interference.)
Well, thank you, zonelistener! I was just about to "take my ball home" until I read your compliment! And I even like the picture of you molesting the little statue, though it frightens me.

~U2Alabama
Old 07-17-2002, 01:36 AM   #53
you are what you is

Quote:
ugly thread, btw...
I would have to agree
wish I could say I'm surprised by it
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-17-2002, 02:11 AM   #54
Refugee

Local Time: 09:23 PM
Well, Salome, ask a loaded question...
Old 07-17-2002, 02:32 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Damn, i am stuck in my mind,......
Old 07-17-2002, 05:56 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Like someone to blame

...those "compasssionate" conservatives who are always touting the virtures of Christianity yet routinely forget the teachings of the very Savior whose name they routinely invoke. Extremely hypocritical.

Agreed. Cant be mentioned often enough.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:12 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:23 AM
Quote:

"Have no fear for atomic energy
Cause none of them can stop the time
How long shall they kill our prophets
While we stand aside and look
Some say its just a part of it
Weve got to fulfil the book"

- - not to mention the first verse. I dig "Jamming" too, btw.

(This thread should end with everyone saying)

One Love
Old 07-17-2002, 09:52 AM   #58
The Fly

Free Your Mind....I think, as others have pointed out, it means to let go of ignorant preconceived notions, become more educated on different subjects and come to an understanding of different viewpoints. I think that's the whole purpose of this forum....to learn from each other and even if we don't agree to at least understand that not everyone feels the same way we do and see their reasons for believing the way they do.

Learning is the reason I first came here I suppose because sometimes, when I'm reading the newspaper or just thinking about different things, I just can't imagine why certain people think the way they do and why they believe certain things. So I think coming on this forum where there are a wide range of beliefs and ideas, I can read posts by or have a discussion with a person who might have a completely different viewpoint as me and I can come to understand ,to a certain degree, their beliefs. For instance, I knew nothing about Satanism until Ravenstar posted about it. Though I don't agree with her beliefs as they are completely opposite of my Christian beliefs, at least I can have some understanding of where she is coming from and the next time I hear about Satanism, images of animal sacrifices won't pop into my head.

I do think that it's unfortunate that there is so much political prejudiceness on both sides in this forum (and in real life) and I think both sides are equally as guilty. I guess we're all a little guilty of it because I think in our society ,in America at least, you have to be one or the other and the one has to dislike and never agree with the other. Someone to blame, I think if you go back to some of your previous posts and replace the word conservative with African American, Hispanic, or Jew it might help you to understand why some conservatives took such offense to your remarks. I think if you spend enough time here it is quite apparant that both conservatives and liberals are equally guilty of being nasty and hypocritical and neither group of people should be singled out as being the bad guys.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:31 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: hoo haaaaa

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Well, thank you, zonelistener! I was just about to "take my ball home" until I read your compliment! And I even like the picture of you molesting the little statue, though it frightens me.

~U2Alabama
don't you be goin' nowhere, mister! yours is a refreshing voice in here.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:57 AM   #60
The Fly

Local Time: 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by babble
Someone to blame, I think if you go back to some of your previous posts and replace the word conservative with African American, Hispanic, or Jew it might help you to understand why some conservatives took such offense to your remarks. I think if you spend enough time here it is quite apparant that both conservatives and liberals are equally guilty of being nasty and hypocritical and neither group of people should be singled out as being the bad guys.
babble:

I appreciate your comments. I agree that both sides are guilty of being nasty and hypocritical...I just sincerely believe it is more prevalent amongst the GOP-nationally and in this forum. It never fails that when I watch a politically oriented show that 9 times out of 10 the Republican starts the "attack". A fine example of this is just last night on MSNBC's "Donahue". Donahue devoted his entire show to discussing the Patriot Act...and hands down his right wing guest Mr. May of some conservative public interest group whose only goal is to strip us of our civil liberties and turn America into a quasi police state was aggressive, nasty and relentless as he berated everyone from a civil liberties attorney to a poor middle aged Muslim woman whose husband has been illegally detained since October...with no charges brought against him...other than being Muslim. Mr. May "personally attacked" the civil liberties attorney and insulted this innocent Middle Eastern woman on national TV. He showed an inability to debate without making it personal...that is what burns me. It was compassionate conservatism at it's best.

The record will show that I've tried extending an "olive branch" and striking a concilliatory chord with some conservative members...and that by and large I've never challenged their intellect (one exception being z edge-who shows no interest in being polite).

Two wrongs don't make a right...but in my mind I'm challenging the perception that us liberals are "whimmpy". I don't have to lay down and "take it" from the aggressive and relentless attacks from some on the right. I prefer to keep things on the up and up...but I can sling mud with the best of them if I need to. I have no problem taking the lead on this and being the "whipping boy". In the end, I prefer to see a more civil and cordial tone amongst us here with one big BUT...if the attack dogs come out first then us liberals here need to respond accordingly and not passively refrain from expressing our thoughts...which I think happens nationally and yes, in here from time to time.

There are some truly intelligent members here from all sides of the political spectrum...diamond, U2Bama, Bubba, Spiral Staircase, Melon, whenhiphopdrovethebigcars (love that name btw), Sula, Salome, whiteflag, joyfulgirl, and many others who bring a lot to the table in this particular forum. I enjoy hearing all of their thoughts and I ultimately am striving to simply add my own to the mix...hopefully in a manner that does not insult anyone's intelligence or get carried away with excessive hyperbole and over-the-topness.

"For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God". I am reminded of this verse daily...especially when I'm visiting this forum. I think all Christians here can appreciate the fact that our sinful human ways get the best of us from time to time...so understand that many times it would be better for me (and others too) to "walk away" from the fight...instead of jumping right in. Satan wins some of the battles, too...regrettably.

Rob