what do you think "free your mind" means? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2002, 03:41 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
[B I dont think anyone has a right really to belittle someone's opinion, or belittle the person themselves. Outright abuse for reasons set out in a healthy debate have no place in any discussion. Insults and derogatory remarks, patronising and the general implication that someone is wrong simply because of a belief should not be tolerated. [/B]
Unfortunately, this type of behavior occurs routinely in this forum. It's always the same cast of characters committing these less than respectful acts. They try to demoralize you or ridicule you for sharing opinions that differ from there very own viewpoints. Specifically, this is a problem with the conservative members of this forum (with a few exceptions) who hide behind their internet user names and personally (in most cases) attack their opponent. Bravo! Very mature and adult of you! The last thing I need rounding out my day is dealing with a bunch of arrogant, sarcastic conservatives who fail to understand the meaning of "civil debate."

I enjoy discussing/debating various issues...but I'm not into the over-the-top hyperbole of it all that more often than not lends itself to personal attacks. Hey, I like to mix it up as much as the next guy...I'd just like to think I leave the debate with my dignity and conscience intact. This seems difficult for some of the conservatives in this forum. It seems as though that when the deck is stacked against them they resort to personal attacks, arrogance, or "jokes". (eerily resembles the conservatives approach in Congress these days, btw...maybe that is where you get this attitude from?)

My message is this: Stop using your ability to hide behind your internet persona as an excuse to launch attacks against those who disagree with you. Before you put the finishing touches on a sadistic remark that adds nothing to a debate stop and ask yourself what you are really trying to accomplish with that remark. If you have nothing of substance to add...than pipe down and move on-don't resort to immature rantings.

My advice to those conservatives here who lack people/civil debating skills: Look to diamond. He and I completely disagree on 98% of the topics discussed here...yet he has a way of disagreeing with you that is cordial and unthreatening, i.e. like a true statesman. He knows when he can joke with you and he can tactfully disagree with you without getting personal.

It's not about backing down from your opinion...it's about reaching a new level of maturity in your debating skills. Diamond can make you feel good while at the same time he is stealing your favorite cookie!

Stay above the fray...state your mind...be mature in your dissent...stop hiding behind your personas-that's what Free Your Mind is all about. Agree to disagree...and leave it at that.

Old 07-15-2002, 03:54 PM   #17
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:27 AM
Well said, although I don't think that liberal post-ers are completely innocent, either.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:01 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Like someone to blame
Specifically, this is a problem with the conservative members of this forum (with a few exceptions) who hide behind their internet user names and personally (in most cases) attack their opponent. Bravo! Very mature and adult of you! The last thing I need rounding out my day is dealing with a bunch of arrogant, sarcastic conservatives who fail to understand the meaning of "civil debate."

My advice to those conservatives here who lack people/civil debating skills...
umm, now honestly. Do you really truly think this attack on one "group" was called for? Quite frankly, I have seen my share of both conservative and liberal posters stooping to low levels, and singling out the opposite "side" (as you are doing in this case) simply shows your inability to rise above partisanship.

Old 07-15-2002, 04:21 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:27 AM
MY LIBERAL FRIENDS..

Yes and I kinda like how Mr Someone and Dr Who discuss topics.
They are both polite AND pretty smart for being Democrats
I even thought of making Dr Who my girlfriend over this
DB9
Old 07-15-2002, 05:22 PM   #20
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:

Specifically, this is a problem with the conservative members of this forum (with a few exceptions) who hide behind their internet user names and personally (in most cases) attack their opponent. Bravo! Very mature and adult of you! The last thing I need rounding out my day is dealing with a bunch of arrogant, sarcastic conservatives who fail to understand the meaning of "civil debate."

My message is this: Stop using your ability to hide behind your internet persona as an excuse to launch attacks against those who disagree with you. Before you put the finishing touches on a sadistic remark that adds nothing to a debate stop and ask yourself what you are really trying to accomplish with that remark. joke with you and he can tactfully disagree with you without getting personal.

I am glad we only have this problem around here with " conservative members", or this place would be full of arguements otherwise
Old 07-15-2002, 05:41 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by z edge

I am glad we only have this problem around here with " conservative members", or this place would be full of arguements otherwise
Thanks for helping me make my point.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:30 PM   #22
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:

Thanks for helping me make my point.
I think your name makes your point just fine
Old 07-15-2002, 09:22 PM   #23
Banned

Local Time: 01:27 AM

I think this forum should be retitled
"Everything you think,say, do, or feel is wrong."

When replying or posting, don your Kevlar vest and prepare for war.
But you musn't defend yourself and fire back. Thats a no-no!
However, anyone and everyone can say whatever they like to you, no matter how offensive or hurtful it is.

To avoid being attacked for this reply, I'll also say that I agree with most of the opinions expressed in this thread so far.

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

^^ Life's a bitch, so i became one ^^
Old 07-15-2002, 10:15 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"Free Your Mind" means Your Ass Will Follow.

(Use THAT against me!)
Old 07-15-2002, 10:32 PM   #25
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Just so you know...

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
a free venting forum.
'Free Your Mind' doesnt mean 'Say whatever you want'.

This is an off-topic forum. Discuss politics, spirituality, religion, world events

The rules are no different here.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:46 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

What rules?
Old 07-15-2002, 10:49 PM   #27
I serve MacPhisto

Michelob RULES!
Old 07-15-2002, 11:03 PM   #28
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Common sense rules + Terms of Agreement.

Not to fear, we are going to soon be compiling an actual list of rules for this lovely abode.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:06 PM   #29
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Common sense rules + Terms of Agreement.

Not to fear, we are going to soon be compiling an actual list of rules for this lovely abode.
Is it going to be like the rules for MONOPOLY?
I just love passing GO
Old 07-15-2002, 11:07 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That scared me; I was afraid you were going to tell me "we are going to soon be compiling an actual list of Free Your Mind interferencers who should be deleted."