What do you think about the religious themes in the MATRIX? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2003, 10:49 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Found this interesting as well, about Judiasm. I will include this little piece, however, there is much more to this article.

The Architect channels Kushner
Then there's the scene near the end where Neo has a verbal tete-a-tete with the Architect. The dialogue went so fast that many a filmgoer found it hard to follow. It was like Talmud on tape. But if you could slow it down, maybe even read a transcript, it might suddenly dawn on you that the Architect was essentially describing the dilemma of human nature.

"The first Matrix I designed was quite naturally perfect, it was a work of art, flawless, sublime. A triumph equaled only by its monumental failure," reveals the Architect, which harkens back to Agent Smith's interrogation of Morpheus in the first film. To solve the problem, the Matrix was redesigned, "whereby nearly 99.9% of all test subjects accepted the program, as long as they were given a choice." Thus choice is "the fundamental [human] flaw -- revealed as both beginning, and end." So sayeth the Architect.

On that point, Rabbi Harold Kushner would probably agree, though he wouldn't see it so negatively. On the public television series, "Searching for God in America," the acclaimed author of When Bad Things Happen to Good People, Kushner pointed out that human choice is the single most vexing anomaly of creation. Why would an all-good God make humans, if you believe God made humans, with the capacity for evil? The quandary isn't unique to Judaism, but Kushner chooses to frame the Jewish response in terms of choice, just as it is in the Matrix films.

"When I choose to do good," says Kushner, "the Talmud tells me that God looks down and says, 'For that moment alone it was worth creating the world.' God created the world the way it is, my tradition teaches me, so that human being who are free to choose between good and evil will freely choose good."

All of which takes us back to the Architect, who called the Matrix "a harmony of mathematical precision," and human choice an "unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix." In other words, the Architect is limited in a way Neo isn't. It is simply impossible for the programming of the machines to be anything but mathematically precise, "quite naturally perfect."

Or as Kushner put it, good freely chosen is "the one thing lacking in God's world." Perhaps more apt to the Matrix, Kushner also added, "God can control everything except human love, and the only way God can be loved is to turn people loose in the world with the choice of loving Him or rejecting Him." Replace God with Matrix and love with survive, and you've just received the Cliff's Notes version of the Architect's dissertation.

http://www.jewsweek.com/bin/en.jsp?e...s&enVersion=0&

Old 06-02-2003, 11:06 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

I am starting to feel like the worlds biggest geek here.....is this a dumb topic?

Old 06-02-2003, 11:07 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Neo -- Keanu Reeves' character is referred to as "The One" who will save all of humanity. In the Bible, Jesus is also referred to as humanity's savior who comes back even stronger after death. Also, Neo is the seventh version of The One. And not only is the number seven significant in dozens of religions, but, specifically, the Hindu avatar (man-god) Kalkin, who's the seventh of his kind, is said to both destroy and re-create the world.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...ns/5868932.htm
Old 06-02-2003, 11:24 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:39 AM
I thought Shiva created by destroying, Arun?

"Searching for God in America,"

That is an excellent series.
Hugh Hewitt had a half-hour program with eight different religious leaders/ figures.

I found Rabbi Kushner and the Dali Lama the most impressive.

I read “When Bad Things Happen to Good People” in 1992. I was at a all time low. The book was simple but profound and comforting. I really like Kushner.

On a side note, We had Hugh Hewitt, the host of that series, as a keynote speaker at an event I chaired. When I greeted him that evening he said, “I know George, don’t preach at the people too much tonight.”
Old 06-03-2003, 03:28 AM   #20
New Yorker

OFF TOPIC!

Can I just say that I'm in awe of Melon's variety of educational background (not to dis you Dreadsox).

Then again it may be that he doesn't have a life.

J/K had to temper that for your ego not to

Sorry I'm not contributing much, but I do see the Savior aspects. Actually I think the same can be said of the Terminator series, though in a much less technical way, ie the savior of mankind against a Godless protagonist.

edited to add
I want a copy of your thesis printed here after you turn it in.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:50 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 05:39 PM
I thought the movie was somewhat interesting; however, I do believe that many other movies have religious backing to their stories... Matrix was a little more obvious about it... However, I did find some of the scenes blasphemous....
Everyones body is to be celebrated; however, sex and a woman and man's bare body is very sacred... If showing sex and a naked bodies publicly is against The Bible, and The Torah; then yes, it is considered blasphemous... One might think that sex should be celebrated, but if a religion provides guidlines, and this movie crosses it, then it becomes blashphemous..

None the less, I thought the action scenes were very entertaining, and I thought that Matrix 1 was a whole lot better then the second one....
Old 06-12-2003, 05:22 PM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:39 PM

This is a really interesting thread, I'm sorry I don't really have much to add to the discussion as I'm not really up on religions but I've enjoyed reading through this!
Old 06-12-2003, 05:40 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Hi Peanut,

welcome.

i think it is a good thread, even though I side tracked it a bit

nice picture