What do you see in your mirror? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Hello. My name is Anna, and I collect issues.

you're also one of the most engaging and witty posters on Interference.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #17
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:59 AM

I'm literally looking in the mirror right now, and all I see is a thick film of dust, which I guess means I'm a slob.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 06-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

welcome back!

how did it all go?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It depends.

Some days I see a really cool, independent, confident woman who doesn't care what anyone thinks of her.

Other days all I can see are the big nose, skin problems and those annoying gray hairs that just started popping up about a year ago, making me realize for the first time that I'm no longer the 25-year-old I feel like inside but am almost 40.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #20
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
how did it all go?
Just wrote about it in my journal. The classes went very well--a lot more work than expected, as I had to alter the curriculum quite a bit from my original plans, but very rewarding and very worth it. Didn't have as much time to travel as I'd hoped, but what I did get to do was great. The whole experience definitely opened my eyes to some upsides of American academia that I'd really taken for granted before.

Looking forward to checking out a few other peoples' travel experiences, too...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 06-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Looking forward to checking out a few other peoples' travel experiences, too...

i've been terrible about my journal -- check out the "Mr. Pussy's" room for many details.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:59 AM
When I look in the mirror I see my flawed character, and have to remind myself that not everything I do is wrong.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:59 AM
This has been a very thought provoking thread to read. I normally don't venture into FYM, and if I do, I lurk quickly and leave, but this thread piqued my interest and generated some thoughts, so here we go.

When I look in the mirrior, I see someone who is somewhat attractive physically. My friends and I always tell each other "you're so hawt," but sometimes I wonder if they're actually being serious about me. My favourite physical features are my eyes and my nose. I believe that the eyes are the most beautiful feature on a person, and can show so much about them. I like the colour of mine, and that there's little spots in them. They change colour depending on my mood, which is pretty sweet.

I've lost a fair amount of weight in the past 6 months, so I'm looking better than I have in a long while. I still feel a bit insecure though, and would like to lose more, even though everyone around me thinks I look fine. I've always battled with my weight though, and I know it's going to be a lifelong battle. I struggled with an eating disorder for several years, so I still carry the mental and physical scars of that disease. It's not something that just goes away, and I'm okay with that.

When I look at myself I see someone that has been through a lot, and come out a much stronger person. There's been a lot of shit, but I'm so much stronger because of it.

Something that my friends and family have always said about me is that I'm a wonderful friend. My friends mean the world to me, and they know that. I make it a point to always let them know how much I appreciate and value their friendships. I never forget a birthday, and I have the uncanny knack of sensing when friends are going through a hard time. I'm a good listener, and people say I make them feel so comfortable and important when I'm around them.

There are a lot of flaws that I see. I procrastinate, I avoid confrontation, and prefer to gloss things over and pretend that everything is okay. I'm an expert at faking that things are good, and sometimes find it hard to ask for help. I'm getting better at that though, because I've realized my desperate need for it at times.

Man, this is a frigging novel! I might write more later. This was really interesting!
Old 06-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #24
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

you're also one of the most engaging and witty posters on Interference.
thank you, irvine! that's awfully kind of you. i'd have thought i'd appear to be the opposite.
i can see similarities in many of these replies. looks like we're all in good company, so dont sweat it, thora

can i ask, while i have your attention, what does the SEB mean? ive been looking at your name for months, wondering.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:11 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
i can see similarities in many of these replies. looks like we're all in good company, so dont sweat it, thora

can i ask, while i have your attention, what does the SEB mean? ive been looking at your name for months, wondering.
Thanks.

Sure you can ask - SEB are my initials. I assumed that Thora would be taken when I joined, so I tacked on my initals to it. Turns out that Thora hadn't been taken, but oh well.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:12 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

I see the weight I gained back over the course of a year and think, how the hell did let myself get like this again?

Oh yeah, then I see everyones life in the mirror except my own.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:36 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I tend to see all the flaws, and have the added "bonus" of looking for my dad's flaws in me. In addition, I watch for and fear the Alzheimer’s that will inevitable come.
It's not inevitable. I know just what you mean about looking for his flaws in you, but honestly I think me doing the same has made me a much better person. I'm sure the same is true for you.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I tend to see all the flaws, and have the added "bonus" of looking for my dad's flaws in me.
Me too, Nbc. Me too. Seems like I've spent my life trying to make sure I'm nothing like him. (He is misogynistic, abusive, cold, religious fanatic, so you understand why). I guess I feel like I've succeeded though so it doesn't stress me as much as it did when I was younger.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

When I look in the mirror I notice my cheeks - very high cheekbones are common in my Mum's family - and eyes. I also like my freckles across my cheeks and nose. I don't notice them when I wear make-up and used to be very conscious about it. I like the person I can see in the mirror more than ever now. I don't think I am very pretty but I only want to have my health and family - they are 2 things you can't take for granted.

I worry too much - about people I love, what people think about me, what happened in the past and what may or may not happen in the future when I know that worrying brings nothing but more stress. I know I should let go of what did happen and focus on what I could change.

I am insecure and avoid topics that make me uncomfortable. I don't like asking for help. I also procrastinate.

I don't believe in myself as much as other people in me do. I can be too pessimistic.

I see someone who has changed a lot over the past few years and can stand up more for myself. I am stubborn, I stick to my opinions.

My family always say I am a very soft, kind-hearted and sweet person and I would like to think that I am. I care a lot about the people around me. I love the fact that I can see things in my personality and looks that I have inherited from other people in my family but I am still me and to the people who matter could never be replaced and that's one thing nobody could ever be better at than I am.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Another question would be, what is the disconnect between how you see yourself and how others see you? We don't always know exactly how others see us, but sometimes from what the people in our lives tell us..

What do you do about that disconnect, if anything?

It depends on who's right. Because of how aware we are of how we feel inside, we are not always aware of how we appear outside. We are those two people--the inside one and the outside one. Both of them have their realities and if we are lucky, we will have a handful of people in our lives who are intimate with both of those realities.

The disconnect comes when we are not as intimate with both sides as we hope others to be. The disconnect comes when we either let others define us or when we define ourselves too narrowly when we are so much more. The disconnect comes when we take ourselves too seriously and take what others think of us too seriously.

People want to put other people in roles--not maliciously most of the time, just because it is simpler for them. They don't have to think too much then. We become the good girl or the bad girl (or boy), the smart one, the pretty one, the giver, the taker. We all do it. Ninety percent of the people in our lives are peripheral and we are peripheral to the same ninety percent. No big deal. But we all have to sort out the roles that are healthy for us to play and to understand we are just playing them and not to think they are our sum total.

(That's the part we are in control of. This doesn't deal with the times we are used or dehumanized or not given the respect we've earned, when it is something someone is doing to us, not what we are doing to ourselves. But that's another topic.)